How much does it cost to remodel a small bathroom?
$120 – $275 per square foot
$2,500 – $5,000 remodel a half-bath or powder room
$5,000 – $11,000 remodel a small full bathroom (5x8)
$2,500 – $5,000 remodel a half-bath or powder room
$5,000 – $11,000 remodel a small full bathroom (5x8)
A small bathroom remodel costs $2,500 to $10,000 on average or $120 to $275 per square foot. Redoing a half-bath or powder room costs $2,500 to $5,000. A small bathroom renovation costs $5,000 to $15,000 for a full or master. Labor costs 40% to 60% of a small bathroom remodel budget. A DIY or partial bathroom remodel costs $1,000 to $5,000.
Get free estimates from bathroom remodelers near you, or view our cost guide below.
Small bathroom remodel cost
The average cost of a small bathroom remodel is $2,500 to $10,000 or $120 to $275 per square foot. Bathroom renovation prices depend on the size, materials, layout changes, and if it's a full, half-bath, or powder room. Labor costs for a small bathroom remodel are 40% to 60% of the budget.
|Bathroom size||Average cost|
|3x5||$1,800 – $4,100|
|4x6||$1,900 – $4,400|
|4x8||$3,900 – $8,800|
|5x7||$4,200 – $9,600|
|5x8||$4,900 – $10,900|
|5x9||$5,500 – $12,300|
|5x10||$6,100 – $13,700|
|6x6||$4,400 – $9,900|
|6x8||$5,900 – $13,100|
|6x9||$6,600 – $14,800|
- A small bathroom remodel provides a 60% to 68% return on investment (ROI) and increases a home's resale value.
- A small bathroom remodel takes 15 to 25 days or about 3 to 4 weeks.
- Labor costs for a small bathroom remodel are 40% to 60% of the total project cost.
Average cost of a small bathroom remodel
The following table shows the average price to remodel a small bathroom.
|National average cost||$5,000|
|Average cost range||$2,500 to $10,000|
Cost data is based on research and project costs reported by HomeGuide members.
Small bathroom renovation costs
A small bathroom renovation costs $1,000 to $5,000 on average for a partial remodel. Renovation costs depend on the materials, new fixtures, finishes, and plumbing or layout changes.
|Bathtub installation||$800 – $4,600|
|Shower installation||$2,000 – $9,000|
|Glass shower doors cost||$400 – $1,900|
|Sink installation cost||$200 – $1,500|
|Faucet installation cost||$200 – $600|
|Toilet installation cost||$120 – $800|
|Countertops installation||$450 – $1,500|
|Cabinetry installation||$500 – $3,600|
|Refacing existing cabinets||$200 – $800|
|Flooring installation cost||$100 – $600|
|Floor tile cost||$100 – $600|
|Hardwood floor cost||$150 – $600|
|Bath fan installation cost||$150 – $550|
|Mirror installation cost||$140 – $430|
|Install light fixture||$150 – $1,500|
|Install medicine cabinet||$150 – $400|
|Install hardware||$50 – $300|
|Painting walls costs||$150 – $400|
|Retiling shower||$800 – $3,000|
|Steam shower cost||$3,000 – $10,000|
|Shower pan installation cost||$500 – $3,500|
|Bathtub or shower liner costs||$1,700 – $2,500|
|Tub refinishing costs||$300 – $600|
|Permits cost||$200 – $800|
Small bathroom shower remodel cost
Remodeling a small bathroom shower costs $1,000 to $4,000, depending on the style, type, and materials. Prefab fiberglass or acrylic shower stalls are the least expensive option, while a small custom tile shower remodel is priced on the higher end of the range.
Retiling a small bathroom
Retiling a small bathroom costs $7 to $25 per square foot or $2,400 to $4,150 on average for the floor, walls, and shower.
- Retiling a small shower costs $800 to $1,650, including the tile and installation.
- Retiling a small bathroom floor costs $800 to $1,500.
- Retiling walls in a small bathroom costs $800 to $1,000.
Small bathroom remodeling costs by type
The cost to remodel a small bathroom depends on the materials, finishes, and whether the bathroom is a half-bath or a full bath with a tub or shower.
|Bathroom type||Average cost|
|Half-bath||$3,000 – $5,000|
|Powder room||$3,000 – $5,000|
|Small full||$5,000 – $11,000|
|Small master||$5,000 – $15,000|
Powder room or half-bath remodel cost
Remodeling a half-bath costs $2,500 to $5,000 for a basic project or up to $15,000 for a high-end powder room renovation. The average size of a half-bath is 18 to 30 square feet, enough space for a sink and toilet. Powder room remodels typically include:
- Replacing the vanity, toilet, mirror, and light fixture
- Retiling the floors
- Painting or tiling the walls
Small full guest or kids bathroom renovation cost
Remodeling a small full bathroom costs $5,000 to $11,000 on average or $120 to $275 per square foot, depending on the materials, finishes, and fixtures selected. Remodeling a kids' bathroom costs less when using low-end fixtures and finishes.
Small master bathroom remodel cost
Remodeling a small master bathroom costs $5,000 to $15,000 on average. A master bath renovation typically involves upscale materials, high-end fixtures, and a larger walk-in shower than a guest bath remodel, increasing the costs.
Small bathroom remodel labor costs
The labor cost for a small bathroom remodel is 40% to 60% of the total budget or $1,250 to $5,000 on average. Labor for a bathroom renovation involves multiple specialists:
- General contractors charge $30 to $90 per hour or 10% to 20% of the total project cost.
- Hiring a plumber costs $45 to $150 per hour to make plumbing modifications.
- Hiring an electrician costs $40 to $100 per hour to wire lighting fixtures and bathroom exhaust fans.
- Installing drywall costs $1.60 to $2.35 per square foot.
- Hiring a painter costs $1 to $6 per square foot or $300 to $500 to paint a small bathroom.
- Interior designers charge $50 to $200 per hour or $600 to $1,400 to design a bathroom.
Cost to convert a half-bath to full-bath
Converting a half-bath to a full-bath costs $800 to $9,000 by adding a new bathtub or shower. Costs depend on the materials selected, plumbing work, and whether fixtures or walls must be moved to make space. The minimum bathroom size to accommodate three fixtures is 5' x 7'.
- A new shower costs $2,000 to $9,000, depending on the size and materials.
- A new bathtub costs $800 to $4,600, depending on the tub style, material, and features.
|New shower installation||$2,000 – $9,000|
|New bathtub installation||$800 – $4,600|
Adding a shower to a half-bath
Adding a shower to a half-bath costs $1,100 to $11,500, depending on plumbing work and if the bathroom already has enough space or if walls must be moved.
- The shower must be at least 30" x 30" to meet minimum code requirements. The ADA recommends a minimum size of 36" x 36" for improved accessibility.
- Installing a smaller vanity or eliminating a closet may free up space for a shower within the bathroom.
- Wall framing costs $3.00 to $4.50 per square foot to build new walls for a shower in a half-bath.
Renovating bathroom for more space
Renovating a bathroom to create more space may require altering the layout, relocating plumbing fixtures, and moving walls.
- Architects charge $100 to $250 per hour to design bathroom plans or a small space.
- Installing plumbing pipes costs $1,500 to $3,000 when relocating bathroom fixtures. Keeping fixtures in their original location reduces remodeling costs.
- Rerouting electrical wiring costs $2 to $4 per square foot.
- Removing a wall costs $500 to $2,000 for non-load-bearing walls.
- Structural engineers charge $100 to $220 per hour to inspect walls and floors after demolition.
Cost to demolish and redo a small bathroom
Demolishing a small bathroom costs $400 to $1,500, including hauling away the debris. Bathroom demo prices depend on the size, materials, and walls or fixtures being removed.
- Homes built before 1978 may have lead-based paint or asbestos tile. Asbestos tile removal costs $20 to $65 per square foot.
- Dumpster rental costs $265 to $620 per week for a 15-yard dumpster, which is adequate for small bathroom remodels.
- For DIY demolition, wear proper safety equipment and take care not to damage electrical or plumbing lines inside the walls.
DIY cost to upgrade a small bathroom yourself
A DIY small bathroom remodel costs $1,000 to $5,000 or $70 to $100 per square foot. Redoing a bathroom yourself cuts labor costs by 40% to 60% but requires plumbing and electrical experience. Hire a professional to ensure a high-quality renovation that increases resale value and follows local building codes.
Some parts of a bathroom remodel require less expertise and may be handled DIY to reduce costs:
- Demolishing the bathroom and hauling away the debris
- Painting walls and trim
- Installing vinyl flooring
Budget small bathroom remodeling ideas
Follow these steps to remodel a small bathroom on a low budget:
- Select lower-cost materials like vinyl flooring or ceramic tile.
- Paint or refinish cabinets and add new hardware instead of replacing the vanity.
- Replace the mirror, shower head, and faucets.
- Select larger tiles to cut installation labor costs and make a small bathroom look larger.
- Avoid changing the layout. Moving fixtures requires extensive plumbing work, increasing labor costs.
- Resurfacing a bathtub costs $300 to $600 instead of replacing the tub.
- Re-grouting costs $250 to $1,000 on average.
Frequently asked questions
How long does a small bathroom remodel take?
Remodeling a small bathroom takes 15 to 25 days or 3 to 4 weeks on average, depending on the extent of the changes. Complications that may delay the project include:
- Permit approval typically takes 4 to 6 weeks before remodeling can begin.
- Demolition may uncover issues like rot or mold. Bathroom mold removal costs $15 to $30 per square foot or $500 to $1,500.
- Materials and special-order items like tile, custom glass shower enclosure, or fixtures may take longer than expected to arrive.
Getting small bathroom remodel estimates
Before hiring a bathroom remodeling contractor near you, be sure to:
- Get at least three on-site estimates to compare.
- Look for contractors with extensive experience.
- Ask for references and review their portfolio of similar completed projects.
- Browse their reviews on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select companies that are insured, bonded, and have been in business for more than five years.
- Avoid selecting the lowest quote as quality may suffer.
- Get a detailed estimate, contract, and warranty in writing before the work begins.
- Confirm the contract specifies a precise beginning date, deadline, and schedule for each task.
- Never pay in full before the project starts. Follow a payment plan instead for work completed.
Questions to ask
- How many bathroom remodels like this have you done before?
- Can I see a portfolio of your past bathroom remodeling jobs?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- Who is the project manager, and will you use subcontractors?
- How many people will be working on the project?
- What hours do you and your crew work?
- What permits do I need, and will you obtain them?
- What other costs should I expect?
- What does your warranty policy include?
- How do you handle damages that happen on the job?
- How long with the remodeling project take?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted bathroom contractors:
- Pray, Richard. “2020 National Construction Estimator.” 2020. PDF file.
- Paxton, Albert S. “2020 National Repair & Remodeling Estimator.” 2020. PDF file.
Small Bathroom Remodeling Costs. (n.d.).
Small Bathroom Remodel Costs And Tips To Save. (2021).
How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost? (2021).
Bathroom Remodel Cost Guide. (2021).
Everything You Need to Know About Bathroom Remodel Costs. (2020).
Twin Home Experts. Small Bathroom Remodel & Cost Breakdown. (2019).
How to save money on your bathroom remodel. (2015).
2020 U.S. Houzz Bathroom Trends Study (PDF, pg 7). (2020).
20+ Bathroom remodelers in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
Get free estimates