Near You 20+ Air Conditioning Repair Companies near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Air Conditioning Repair Companies near you
How Much Will Your Central Air Conditioning Repair Cost?
Frequently asked questions
How much does AC repair cost near me?
AC repair costs $50 to $150 per hour, depending on the project. Most AC repairs cost $125 to $459 on average for jobs such as a tune-up, freon recharge, fan motor repair, or capacitor replacement. AC services can be expensive due to their training, expertise, and licensing requirements.
Do nearby air conditioning repair companies offer free estimates?
Most air conditioner repair companies offer free on-site estimates to diagnose any issues. Some AC repair companies charge a $75 to $200 service call, which gets credited back or covers the first hour of work when hired. Contact at least three AC services upfront to compare before hiring.
How to tell if your AC unit needs fixing?
Signs your AC unit needs repair:
- The AC unit won't turn on.
- The AC is running but not cooling the house.
- The thermostat display is blank.
- Strange noises are coming from your AC system.
- The indoor AC unit is leaking water.
- It keeps turning on and off.
- There’s a bad smell coming from the vents.
- Your utility bills are unusually high.
Is it time to repair or replace my air conditioner?
Most AC technicians recommend replacing air conditioner units if they are 15 years or older. Some pros use the $5,000 rule by taking the equipment's age and multiplying by the repair cost. If the number is more than $5,000, consider new air conditioning installation.
How often should you have your air conditioner serviced?
Experts recommend servicing your home's air conditioning and heating systems once a year. The AC should be inspected, cleaning, and serviced to ensure it operates efficiently during important times. If an AC is not serviced, dust accumulates, making the system work harder and increases energy bills. An AC tune-up costs $70 to $200 for basic maintenance.
Does homeowners insurance cover AC repair and maintenance?
Homeowners insurance only covers AC damage caused by covered perils such as falling trees, fires, lightning strikes, wind, vandalism, and sometimes flooding. The policy does not cover accidental damage or normal wear and tear.
Do you tip AC repair technicians?
AC repair technicians do not expect a tip. However, if they go above and beyond or spend more time than expected, a cold drink, hot lunch, or $10 to $20 tip is appreciated.
How to find and hire the best air conditioner repair service?
Start by searching our list of top-rated ac repair services in your area. After finding and contacting potential candidates:
- Get at least three in-person estimates to compare. Avoid getting AC repair quotes over the phone.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Select companies that are licensed, bonded, and experienced.
- Verify their insurance, worker’s compensation, and bond guarantees.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Check to see if they are members of the North American Technician Excellence (NATE), Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA), or the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors’ National Association (SMACNA).
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Ask for a full itemized estimate in writing.
- Avoid making large payments upfront. Come up with a payment schedule for work completed.
After asking questions and verifying their credentials, hire the best air conditioning service near you.
What questions should I ask AC repair companies in my area?
When looking for home ac repair companies, ask them the following questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- Can you provide testimonials and references from past customers?
- Will the technician inspect the entire air conditioning system, including the ductwork?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- Are your technicians certified by professional organizations such as AHRI, EPA 608, or NATE?
- If my AC is under warranty, are you certified to do warranty work for this brand?
- Do you provide 24/7 emergency AC service in case something goes wrong?
- How long will the project take?
- Do I need permits, and will you obtain them?
- What does your warranty policy include?
- Can you provide me a written estimate or contract?
- What’s your payment schedule?
- Are financing options available for larger repairs?
- What do I need to provide to get started?