Near You 20+ Home Remodeling Contractors near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Home Remodeling Contractors near you
Home Remodeling Services
Home Remodeling Costs
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to remodel a home?
The average cost to remodel a house is $15 to $60 per square foot or $20,000 to $100,000 for completely renovating a 3-bedroom home. Only renovating a kitchen or bathroom costs $100 to $250 per square foot. A kitchen remodel costs $10,000 to $50,000, while a bathroom remodel costs $5,000 to $25,000.
Who remodels homes?
Hire general contractors instead of unlicensed handymen for large home renovation projects. After creating design plans with an architect or interior designer, a general contractor gets the permits, arranges subcontractors, buys the building materials, and handle inspections. Design-build remodelers take care of the whole process from design to installation.
Hiring a specialized contractor is recommended for specific projects like installing fixtures, roofing, or kitchen cabinets. Minor updates may require an interior designer to plan, while large projects likely require an architect or a structural engineer to plan and create architectural drawings.
What services do home remodeling contractors provide?
Remodeling contractors plan, manage, and install cabinets, flooring, tiling, light fixtures, windows, countertops, knock down or replace walls, painting, replacing plumbing fixtures, and adding other finishes. Remodelers can completely change the look and floorplan of a home or individual rooms.
What remodeling increases home value?
Most remodeling projects have a 50% to 85% return on investment. The top remodeling projects that return more than 85% of your investment are siding replacement, garage door replacement, a new bathroom addition, and replacing windows and roofing.
What is the home remodeling process?
- Make a list of all the updates desired.
- Plan the layout with an interior designer or architect.
- Research all the materials and fixtures you want and have a good idea of any custom elements.
- Research contractors and get at least three in-person estimates.
- Agree on budget and timeframe, and sign the contract.
- Plan the design, get permits, and order the materials.
- Contractors start the tear out by gutting everything and fixing any unexpected problems such as leaks or mold.
- Rerouting plumbing or electrical updates if fixtures are changing locations.
- Installing windows, cabinets, flooring, tiling, fixtures, lighting, and painting.
- A final walkthrough to ensure everything has been completed to your satisfaction.
Can you get a home loan that includes renovation costs?
Home loans such as the FHA 203(k), 203(b), and Fannie Mae HomeStyle loans let you borrow money to purchase a home and fix it up. Other options include home equity loans, cash-out refinancing, and personal loans.
Are home remodeling costs tax deductible?
Home remodeling costs for homes that are used as personal residences are not tax-deductible. However, home improvement expenses help reduce the amount of taxes you owe when you sell the house for a profit. Remodeling costs are tax-deductible for a home office or if modified for disabilities.
Some states offer tax rebates by making your home more energy-efficient or by installing solar panels.
How to choose a home remodeling contractor?
Hiring a local home remodeler requires planning accordingly, asking questions, and learning their work process. Choose the best home remodeling contractor by:
- Get at least three in-person house renovation quotes to compare.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Verify their insurance, worker’s compensation, and bond guarantees.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Pick specialized contractors over general ones if it’s a specific project.
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Ask for a full itemized contract in writing in case of a dispute.
- Avoid making large payments upfront. Come up with a payment schedule for work completed.
What questions should I ask home renovation contractors before hiring?
When looking for remodelers near you, ask them the following questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- How many similar projects have you completed?
- Can I see a portfolio of your past remodeling jobs?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- How do you handle damages that happen on the job?
- Who's the project manager, and will you use subcontractors?
- What qualities do you look for in subcontractors?
- What hours do you and your crew work?
- What permits do I need, and will you obtain them?
- What does your warranty policy include?
- Can you provide me a written estimate or contract with a breakdown of all costs?
- What’s your payment schedule?
- What do I need to provide to get started?