How much does it cost to install a shower door?
$600 – $1,900 average frameless door with installation
$400 – $1,100 average framed door with installation
$400 – $1,100 average framed door with installation
A frameless shower door costs $600 to $1,900 with installation. A new framed glass shower door costs $400 to $1,100 installed. Custom frameless shower doors cost $1,400 to $3,300 installed. Frameless glass shower enclosures cost $800 to $3,600. Shower glass costs $12 to $50 per square foot.
Get free estimates from shower door installers near you, or view our cost guide below.
Glass shower door installation cost
Glass shower door installation costs $400 to $1,100 for a framed door or $600 to $1,900 for a frameless shower door. The average cost of glass shower doors is $250 to $1,300, plus $150 to $600 for the installation labor. Custom shower door installation costs $1,400 to $3,300.
|Door type||Average installation cost|
|Framed||$400 – $1,100|
|Frameless||$600 – $1,900|
|Semi-frameless||$500 – $1,550|
|Curved or neo-angle/corner||$900 – $2,000|
|Shower screen||$300 – $1,000|
|Custom||$1,400 – $3,300|
Frameless shower doors cost calculator
The following table shows the average cost for a frameless shower door with installation:
|National average cost||$1,200|
|Average range||$600 to $1,900|
Cost data is based on 389 project costs reported by HomeGuide members.
Glass shower door prices by type
Glass shower door costs depend on the frame type, size, door opening style, and enclosure shape. Sliding doors and hinged doors are the most common styles and come in framed, semi-frameless, and frameless models.
|Bypass (sliding / rolling)||$450 – $1,450||$350 – $1,100||$250 – $780|
|Hinged / pivot||$300 – $1,220||$300 – $850||$200 – $750|
|Bi-fold||$350 – $670||$350 – $800||$580 – $750|
|Neo-angle||$550 – $1,250||$500 – $1,400||$500 – $1,000|
|Curved / rounded||$700 – $1,300||$580 – $1,280||$380 – $900|
|Full glass enclosure||$700 – $2,000||–||$500 – $1,000|
|Screen||$300 – $800||–||–|
|Half-height||–||–||$1,000 – $1,500|
*Prices are for the door only. Add $150 to $600 for installation labor.
Frameless shower doors cost
Frameless shower doors cost $600 to $1,900 with installation, depending on size, style, glass type and thickness, hardware, and finish. Frameless glass shower door prices are $400 to $1,300, plus $200 to $600 for the installation labor.
|Shower width||Average cost installed|
|24"||$400 – $1,150|
|30"||$400 – $1,300|
|36"||$475 – $1,650|
|48"||$500 – $1,800|
|56"||$600 – $1,900|
|60"||$500 – $2,300|
- Frameless doors use thicker 3/8" or 1/2" glass and attach to the wall with clips or hinges.
- Attaching the glass panels with a U-channel – a thin, low-profile metal strip – costs $75 to $200 less than using clips but may interfere with the frameless look.
- Homeowners with modern bathroom designs prefer frameless doors because they are easier to clean and make the bathroom look bigger and brighter.
Semi-frameless shower doors estimates
Semi-frameless shower doors cost $500 to $1,550 including installation or $350 to $1,000 for the door alone. Semi-frameless doors have a frame where the glass meets the tile or tub but not around the door panel. Some semi-frameless doors also have a frame along the door's hinged or bottom edge.
New framed shower door cost
Framed shower doors cost $400 to $1,100 installed, depending on size, style, finish, and glass type. Framed shower doors alone cost $250 to $750 on average and feature thin glass supported by a stable metal frame with hinged or sliding doors.
Framed shower doors also come in a three-panel neo-angle style designed to fit in the corner of a small bathroom. Framed neo-angle doors cost $500 to $1,000 for the door alone or $650 to $1,550 with installation.
Custom shower doors cost
Custom frameless shower doors cost $1,400 to $3,300 installed, depending on size, style, and glass type. Shower doors wider than 60" or taller than 76" require custom glass. Custom shower doors are precisely cut to fit and may include a single door or a full glass enclosure with upgrades:
- Clear, frosted, tinted, textured, or rain glass
- Standard clear or ultra-clear low-iron glass
- Anti-stain and anti-spot coatings
- Standard 3/8" or thicker 1/2" glass
- Stainless-steel fixtures
Shower screen prices
Frameless shower screens cost $150 to $800 for the panel alone or $300 to $1,000 with installation. A bath shower screen is a glass panel mounted on the wall to separate the shower from the rest of the bathroom. Shower screens come in fixed and hinged models in various sizes.
Half-height shower doors prices
Half-height or caregiver shower door prices are $1,000 to $1,500. Half-height doors allow a caregiver to assist in bathing a person with mobility issues by leaning over the wall. Half-height doors feature a 180-degree hinge so the door can swing in or out for accessibility.
Frameless glass shower enclosures cost
Frameless glass shower enclosures cost $800 to $3,600 installed on average, depending on size and style. Frameless shower enclosures come prefabricated or may be custom-built to fit the space. Premade enclosures come in square, rectangle, or corner shapes called neo-angled.
Shower glass panels or walls cost
Shower glass panels cost $550 to $1,450 for a 60" wide frameless glass wall, which includes a hinged or sliding door. Stationary glass shower wall prices are $150 to $500 for a 30"x72" panel. Glass shower walls are also called inline panels, sidelights, or shower return panels.
Labor cost to install shower door
Shower door installation labor costs $150 to $550 on average for framed doors. Frameless shower door installation costs $200 to $600. Labor costs to install a custom shower door are $800 to $1,500. Glaziers charge $100 to $150 for the first hour, plus $35 to $75 per hour afterward.
|Door type||Average labor cost to install|
|Framed||$150 – $550|
|Frameless||$200 – $600|
|Custom enclosure||$800 – $1,500|
Cost to install sliding shower door
Sliding glass shower doors cost $250 to $780 for a standard framed door or $450 to $1,450 for a frameless sliding door, depending on size and style. Openings wider than 60" typically require an additional glass side panel. Frameless sliding doors are also called rolling shower doors.
|Framed||$250 – $780|
|Semi-frameless||$350 – $1,100|
|Frameless||$450 – $1,450|
Cost to install shower doors on tub
Installing shower doors on a tub costs $400 to $1,000, depending on the condition of the tub and surrounding tile and if the doors are framed or frameless. If the tile is damaged, the cost to retile a shower is $8 to $40 per square foot.
Lowe’s shower door installation cost
Lowe's shower door installation costs start at $200 for labor alone, plus $250 to $750 for a framed shower door or $400 to $1,300 for a frameless door. Lowe's charges $35 for a detailed estimate, which applies to the installation cost. Labor costs increase for complex installations.
Cost factors of glass shower door installation
Shower glass cost
Shower glass costs $12 to $50 per square foot on average, without installation. Shower glass prices depend on the type, thickness, and upgrades such as frosted, textured, tinted, low-iron, or an anti-spot coating.
|Glass type||Cost per square foot||Notes|
|Standard 3/8" clear glass||$12 – $50||Standard 3/8" tempered safety glass|
|Thicker 1/2" clear glass||$15 – $58||Stationary frameless panels are typically made of 1/2" glass, while the door itself is 3/8" for easier opening|
|Switchable smart glass||$85 – $120||A laminated film switches from clear to frosted at the touch of a button for privacy|
|Extra features add to the base cost:|
|Frosted glass||+ $2 – $11||Adds privacy, hides water spots, and called acid-etched glass|
|Textured / Rain glass||+ $2 – $12||Comes in a variety of patterns|
|Tinted glass||+ $4 – $12||Comes in gray or bronze|
|Low-iron, Ultra Clear, or Starphire||+ $6 – $15||More transparent without the greenish tint of standard glass|
|ShowerGuard, Diamon Fusion, or EnduroShield protective coating||+ $4 – $20||Treatments prevent water spots and stains|
Shower door prices by size
Most glass shower doors are 30" to 60" wide and 72" to 76" tall. Openings wider than 36" feature a single door up to 36" wide paired with a second sliding door or a stationary inline glass panel, also called a sidelight.
|Shower width||Door prices|
|24"||$200 – $650|
|30"||$200 – $700|
|32" – 34"||$250 – $950|
|36"||$275 – $1,000|
|40" – 48"||$300 – $1,200|
|50" – 56"||$400 – $1,300|
|60"||$300 – $1,700|
Shower door measuring tips:
- Wait until after the tile or shower surround is installed before measuring for the door.
- Measure the opening's width at the top, middle, and bottom separately in case the space is not perfectly square.
- For hinged and pivot doors, ensure the door has room to swing open without hitting anything.
Shower door opening styles
Shower doors come in various opening styles. Consider the bathroom's layout when selecting a door. Hinged and pivot doors require enough clearance space to open without hitting any obstructions.
- Hinged doors swing open in one direction, usually outward into the bathroom.
- Pivot doors swing open in either direction.
- Single-sliding doors feature one moving panel that slides next to a stationary panel along tracks.
- Dual-sliding doors, also called bypass doors, feature two doors that slide next to each other along tracks, allowing entry at either end of the shower.
- Rolling doors, also called barn doors, feature two doors attached to a metal bar with rollers and glide past each other.
- Bi-fold doors open inward and fold in half in accordion style. Bi-fold doors are best-suited for small spaces.
- Shower screens are fixed glass panels that cover only a portion of the shower opening.
Shower door replacement cost
Shower door replacement costs $580 to $1,650, depending on the door type, size, and style. Replacing an existing glass shower door with a new door in the same size and style is the least expensive option. Removing and disposing of the old shower door costs $30 to $100.
|Old door removal||$30 – $100|
|New door||$400 – $1,000|
|Installation labor||$150 – $550|
|Total replacement cost||$580 – $1,650|
Signs a shower door should be replaced:
- Door doesn't open smoothly or close firmly
- Door makes noise when opening or closing
- Rusted or corroded frame
- Discolored, cracked, or chipped glass
- Leaks around the door frame
Shower glass replacement and repair
Shower glass replacement costs $150 to $300 on average, depending on the size, type, style, and thickness. Consider replacing the whole door instead if the glass is chipped, cracked, or discolored, or if the frame or hardware is rusted. Cracked or chipped glass poses a safety hazard.
Pros and cons of frameless shower doors
Frameless shower doors are more expensive than framed doors but are stylish and create a brighter and more open bathroom. Frameless glass doors are also easier to clean, decreasing the chance of mold and mildew. Improperly installed frameless doors and walls may leak.
Frequently asked questions
What is a frameless shower door?
Frameless shower doors are panels of thick tempered glass mounted on the wall with clips or hinges instead of a metal frame. Frameless doors are more expensive than framed doors but are easier to clean and have an open, modern design that makes the bathroom look bigger and brighter.
Why are shower doors so expensive?
Shower doors are expensive because the panels are made of tempered safety glass designed to shatter into small, dull chunks instead of dangerous shards. Frameless shower door panels are made of thick glass that doesn't require a frame for support.
Are frameless shower doors worth it, and do they add value?
Frameless glass shower doors add value and provide a 60% to 67% return on investment (ROI). Frameless shower doors make the bathroom look larger, brighter, and more appealing at a fraction of the cost of bathroom remodeling.
How much does a Euro shower door cost?
Euro shower doors cost $600 to $1,900 installed. Euro shower doors are also known as frameless doors and are mounted with clips instead of a frame, creating a clean, minimalist look.
Are frameless glass shower doors safe?
Frameless glass shower doors are made of thicker, tempered glass that is less susceptible to breaks and is as safe as framed doors. Tempered glass shatters into small, dull pieces, reducing the risk of injury. Visible chips and cracks in the glass are a safety hazard and require replacing the glass.
Do frameless shower doors leak?
Frameless shower doors do not leak if the glass is installed correctly and the tile slopes inward toward the drain. Caulking prevents leaking around the glass walls. Water may pass through the thin gap between the door and wall if the showerhead is aimed directly at the seam.
Install a clear vinyl sweep at the bottom of the door for added leak prevention. Shower sweeps cost $10 to $70, depending on length.
Who installs shower doors?
Remodeling contractors, handyman services, and glass specialists called glaziers install shower doors. Home Depot and Lowe's also offer shower door installation through their network of pros. DIY installation is challenging because it requires special tools and at least two people to maneuver the heavy glass.
How long does it take to install a shower door?
Shower door installation takes 1 to 4 hours, depending on the type and job complexity. Fabricating the glass panels takes 2 to 7 days after the installer measures the bathroom for the new door. Production and delivery may take several weeks for custom shower enclosures with complex designs.
How much do glass block walls in the bathroom cost?
Glass block walls cost $1,000 to $3,000 installed for a shower or bathroom. Glass blocks cost $10 to $15 each for standard 8" x 8" x 4" clear blocks, or $25 to $50 each for frosted, patterned, colored, or rounded-edge end blocks.
Hiring a shower door installer
Before hiring a glass contractor and signing a contract, remember to:
- Get at least three itemized estimates to compare.
- Look for glass experts with experience installing framed or frameless shower doors.
- Ask for references and review their portfolio of similar completed projects.
- Browse their reviews on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select companies that are insured, bonded, and have been in business for more than five years.
- Avoid selecting the lowest quote as quality may suffer.
- Pay attention to the materials listed when comparing bids. Some companies may use lower-quality glass to reduce the cost.
- Get a detailed estimate, contract, and warranty in writing before the work begins.
- Never pay in full before the project starts. Follow a payment plan instead for work completed.
Questions to ask shower door installers
- Which type of glass door do you recommend for my shower?
- Which glass thickness do you recommend?
- What type of hinges can I choose from, and which direction will the door open?
- Do you recommend any glass treatment or coating, and why?
- Will the door include any towel bars or hooks?
- Should my frameless shower door have metal clips or a U-channel instead?
- How long will it take for the door to be delivered after ordering?
- Will you custom cut the glass yourself or order the door from a supplier?
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured?
- Can you provide references or a portfolio of past work?
- Are permits required? Will you pull them?
- How long will the installation take?
- How much do you charge to remove and dispose of the old shower door?
- What additional costs can I expect that aren't in the estimate?
- How long is the warranty, and what does it cover?
- Which products should I use on the door to keep the glass clean?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted glass shower door companies:
- Hicks, Ray F. "2020 National Home Improvement Estimator" (PDF). (2020).
- Praxton, Albert S. "2020 National Repair & Remodeling Estimator" (PDF). (2020).
Home Depot - Shower Doors. (2021).
Lowe's - Showers & Shower Doors. (2021).
- Vanessa Woods - Liberty Glass. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Kevin McQuin - Glass Shower Direct. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Bilal Janjua - Hybrid Panels. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Tony Barnhardt - Lowe's. Personal Communication. (2021).
- Kate Vieri - Smart Glass LA. Personal Communication. (2021).
How Much Does a Custom Glass Shower Cost? (2021).
How Much Does Frameless Shower Glass Cost? (2020).
How much do Frameless Showers Cost? (2019).
What Does a Frameless Shower Door Cost? (2019).
How Much Do Glass Shower Doors Cost? (2019).
Glass Shower Enclosures: Cost & Options & All the Details! (2021).
Cost to Install a Glass Shower Door. (2021).
What’s The Average Cost to Install Shower Doors? (2019).
Shower Doors Cost. (n.d.).
Custom glass shower doors cost. (2018).
Everything You Need To Know About Frameless Shower Glass Installation. (2021).
Cost Range for Frameless Shower Doors. (2018).
How Much Does a Frameless Shower Enclosure Cost? (2019).
Frameless Glass Shower Enclosures Alexandria, VA. (2021).
Shower Enclosure/Doors. (2021).
Ferguson - Shower Doors. (2021).
20+ Shower door installers in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
Get free estimates