How Much Do Bathtub Liners Cost?
$1,700 – $2,500 Liner + Installation
The cost to purchase and install a bathtub liner ranges from $1,600 to $3,200 with most homeowners spending $1,700 to $2,500 on average. For just the liner, you can expect to pay from $850 to $1,400. Get free estimates from bathroom remodelers near you.
Bathtub Liner Prices
Bathtub liners cost $850 to $1,400 for just the liner, and between $1,600 and $3,000 total to install, with most homeowners paying $1,700 to $2,500 on average. This price includes the acrylic tub liner, caulking, supplies, and clean up afterward. Not included in the price are the faucet replacement, shower surround, or necessary plumbing repairs.
|National Average Cost||$2,000|
|Average Range||$1,700 to $2,500|
Table Of Contents
What Are Bathtub Liners?
A bathtub liner a fast way to update your bathroom without a lot of demolition and mess. A bathtub insert or overlay is fitted over the existing bathtub, eliminating the need for costly demolition and the hauling away of a heavy tub.
Bathtub liners cost from an average of $2,000 installed. Compare this to the cost of $3,000 to $5,000 to replace the tub and tile. Installing a bathtub liner can take as little as a day, but manufacturing a custom-sized liner that fits your tub can take several weeks.
Bathtub Liner Installation Cost
Installation of a bathtub liner costs between $730 and $1,830, or an average of about $1,200, not including the cost of the liner. Installation usually takes one working day. Pricing depends on local labor rates. The $730 is from Amazon Home Services, as is the $1,200 price to install the tub and wall liners below.
|Tub Liner||$850 – $1,400|
|Labor||$730 – $1,830|
|Total||$1,580 – $3,230|
Bathtub Liners and Wall Surrounds
Wall surrounds add to the look of the tub liner by matching its color and quality, along with additional soap shelves, grab bars, and shampoo shelves, if chosen. Installation of the bathtub liner and the wall surround starts at about $1,200.
|Solid Surface||$258 – $1,946|
|Vikrell||$265 – $1,808|
|Fiberglass||$214 – $1,282|
|Acrylic||$259 – $1,648|
|Fiberglass||$418 – $561|
|Polystyrene||$85 – $275|
Lowe’s bathtub wall surrounds and liners include the brands SWAN, Sterling, Transloid, Mirroflex, and Style Selections.
Bathtub Kit Cost
A three-piece wall surround and tub liner kit costs $575–$2,529. You’ll only need a three-piece wall surround if your bathtub is set into a three-wall alcove.
Bathtub Refinishing vs. Bathtub Liners
Bathtub refinishing costs $275 to $559 on average depending on the condition of the type, it's type, and size. Reglazing a tub costs significantly less than relining, but it doesn't last as long. Also, the tub must be in decent condition to be viable for refinishing.
|Warranty||No warranty on products||Lifetime warranty on products|
|Labor||Costs about $450||Costs about $1,300|
|Design||Pay more to tile the wall||Match with a wall surround for a wall and tub kit price of $575–$2,529|
Bathtub Liner Problems to Consider
- Remember that liners cover up what’s underneath. They do not fix any problems other than aesthetic ones. If you had moisture problems before the liner, you would still have moisture problems after the liner.
- If the liner is not installed correctly, it will leak which will cause mold growth under the liner—something you want to avoid.
- Installing a tub liner is permanent. Since it is glued to the tub beneath, you can’t simply lift it off for a change in looks. Removing the tub liner will damage the tub underneath, to the point where it is unusable.
- You might need a plumber to install the liner altogether. Existing drains may not fit on the now “double” thickness of tub.
- If the liner does not fit precisely into the old tub, there is a possibility it can crack. Before signing the contract, find out if the warranty covers such an instance.
- The possibility of leaks through small cracks in the caulking can lead to mold and mildew, or a sour smell emanating from the bathtub.
- Liners can only be installed into regular bathtubs rather than claw foot or jet tubs, unless they are custom made.
- Acrylic tubs cannot be lined with an acrylic liner.
Tub Liner Maintenance
Acrylic bathtub liners can be cleaned with most nonabrasive bathroom cleaners available in your local grocery store. Surfaces should be cleaned with a soft cloth or microfiber cloth and rinsed thoroughly with water. Before cleaning the bathtub liner you have, check with the manufacturer for their list of approved products. This is the only way you’ll know which products work well with your liner, and using the wrong cleaning product may affect the warranty. Ask questions before scrubbing.
Best Tub Liner Brands & Warranties
- Bath Fitter offers a lifetime warranty on their tub liners. This warranty lasts as long as you own your home.
- Re-Bath offers a lifetime warranty on products they manufacture, as well as a 10-year warranty on color match products. The lifetime warranty covers the bathtub liners, shower base liners, wall surround systems, soap dishes, trim, and accessories. Re-Bath also offers a one-year guarantee on the work they did in your bathroom. If a problem arises due to manufacturing errors or defects, there is a lifetime warranty on the labor to repair or replace.
- Bath Planet offers a lifetime warranty on their products; this applies to your bathroom for as long as you own your home. However, if you sell and move within two years of your bathroom renovation, Bath Planet will transfer the warranty to the new owners.
- BathWraps (originally Liners Direct) offers a lifetime warranty on its acrylic tub liners against fading, cracking, and peeling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why have a Bath Fitter acrylic bathtub or tub liner installed instead of removing the old tub?
Removing the old tub can be costly and labor intensive. The process of removal can potentially damage walls and flooring, requiring repair. By using the tub liner, you don’t have to deal with the mess or repairs.
Why shouldn't I just use bathtub resurfacing or bathtub refinishing?
Resurfacing is a very short-term solution. The resurfacing will last from two to five years, while the tub liner is warrantied for as long as you own your home. This doesn’t mean the tub liner will last longer, but if something does happen, the problem is under warranty.
Is the one-piece Bath Fitter wall installed right over my old tile?
It certainly is. There is nothing that needs to come off the walls, except for faucets/shower heads, etc. The Bath Fitter surround is installed directly over the old surround/tile, eliminating the mess of demolition. The new surround is glued to the old tile or wall surround, and that gives it a firm base.
How will it look when it's done?
Wonderful. It will look like you completely remodeled your bathroom.
Tips When Hiring A Pro
Use all due diligence when hiring anyone to work on your home.
- Get 3–5 estimates.
- Check the references they give and look at online reviews, especially those from the Better Business Bureau.
- Make sure you check the credentials they give you—insurance, bonding, licenses.
- Get a contract with start and finish dates.
- Do not pay with cash.
Ways to Save on Bathtub Liners
Ask your contractor if there is anything you can do to save money. Can you remove the hardware yourself? But before you do anything like that, ask. Doing something like that without knowing for sure may affect the warranty.
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted bathroom remodelers:
20+ Bathroom Remodelers in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted Bathroom Remodelers:
Get free estimates