How much does a steam room or steam shower cost?
$2,900 – $6,800 prefab steam shower installed
$2,300 – $16,500 custom / convert existing shower
$2,300 – $16,500 custom / convert existing shower
A steam shower costs $3,000 to $10,000 installed on average. A prefab steam shower costs $2,900 to $6,800. Converting an existing shower to a steam shower costs $2,300 to $11,700. Building a custom steam room costs $4,000 to $16,500. A steam bath system alone costs $950 to $5,000.
Get free estimates from custom shower installers near you, or view our cost guide below.
Steam shower cost
A steam shower installation costs $3,000 to $10,000 on average, depending on if it's a prefab cabin, existing shower conversion, or custom steam room. Adding spa-like features like a sound system, mood lighting, aromatherapy, auto-flushing, touch-screen controller, and built-in seating costs the most.
|National average cost||$5,200|
|Average cost range||$3,000 to $10,000|
Average cost to install a 4' x 5' x 8' steam shower. Cost data is based on research and project costs reported by HomeGuide members.
Steam shower installation cost
The costs to add a steam shower during a bathroom remodel depend on the installation method:
|Type||Average cost installed|
|Prefab steam shower insert||$2,900 – $6,800|
|Prefab steam shower and tub combo||$3,300 – $7,300|
|Convert existing shower to steam shower||$2,300 – $11,700|
|Custom steam shower||$4,000 – $16,500|
Prefab steam shower insert installation cost
A prefab steam shower costs $2,900 to $6,800 installed. A prefabricated steam shower includes all the necessary parts and connects to the existing plumbing. Many prefab inserts are easy to install and include a regular shower head, seats, massaging jets, lighting, and sound systems.
Some prefab units also include a bathtub and faucet.
|Unit and generator||$2,500 – $6,000|
|Installation labor||$400 – $800|
|Total||$2,900 – $6,800|
Prefab inserts tend to have a small color selection, lower performance than a custom install, and are costly to repair.
Cost to convert a shower to a steam shower
Converting a shower to a steam shower costs $2,300 to $11,700, depending on size, materials, and existing condition. Steam showers require a complete enclosure, insulation, and waterproofing. Older homes may need new shower walls for a steam room conversion.
|Steam shower system and generator||$1,000 – $5,000|
|20% to 30% more shower tile||$150 – $600|
|Extend or install new shower door and enclosure||$400 – $3,600|
|Installation labor||$750 – $2,600|
|Total||$2,300 – $11,700|
Minimum requirements include:
- Full enclosure
- Waterproofing all surfaces and ceiling
- One steam head
- Control panel
- Dedicated 220V or 240V circuit
- Steam generator
- Plumbing lines to and from the steam generator
- Drain line from the steam generator
- Electrical disconnect near the generator
Custom steam shower cost
A custom steam shower costs $4,000 to $16,500. Custom steam rooms offer more color, shape, and layout options and perform better than prefab units. Installation costs depend on size, materials, controller features, and extras like mood-lighting or aromatherapy systems.
|Steam shower system and generator||$1,000 – $5,000|
|Shower tiling||$1,000 – $3,600|
|Shower door and glass enclosure||$800 – $3,600|
|Installation labor||$1,200 – $4,400|
|Total||$4,000 – $16,500|
Cost factors to build a home steam room
The following factors affect the cost to build a home steam room:
- Size – Larger spaces require more powerful steam generators and additional materials.
- Location – Exterior walls need additional insulation. Converting an existing shower to a steam room may require tile removal to install water and vapor barriers on all surfaces.
- Materials – Porous materials require larger steam generators and frequent resealing.
- Amenities – Potential add-ons include seats, towel warmers, light, sound, and aromatherapy systems.
- Steam generator – Higher-priced models include faster steam delivery and auto-flushing.
- Controls – Panels with advanced functionality or wireless connectivity cost more.
- Tile installation – The ceiling and all surfaces must be sloped to direct water to the drain.
- Electricians charge $40 to $100 per hour to install a new 220V or 240V circuit and a disconnect. Some steam generators also require GFCI protection.
- Plumbers charge $45 to $150 per hour to install a steam generator, drain, and run water lines to the steam shower.
- Enclosure – Installing a glass shower door costs $800 to $3,600 for an enclosed steam room.
- Ventilation – Installing an exhaust fan outside the steam room near the shower door entry or transom helps remove excess moisture and humidity. Bathroom exhaust fan installation costs $250 to $950.
Steam shower door and glass walls cost
A glass shower enclosure costs $800 to $3,600 for a steam room, depending on the glass type, thickness, and features.
- Textured, tinted, frosted, or low-iron glass increases the cost by $150 to $1,000.
- Adding a protective glass coating like EnduroShield or HydroShield costs $250 to $1,300 more and reduces soap scum buildup.
- An all-glass enclosure typically requires a larger steam generator.
Steam shower wall tile installation cost
Steam shower tile installation costs $7 to $25 per square foot or $800 to $3,000 on average. Shower size, material, tile layout, and surface prep affect the cost.
- Non-porous tiles like porcelain and ceramic are ideal for steam rooms.
- All surfaces require waterproofing and sealing, including the ceiling.
- Ensure the tile is rated explicitly for steam showers before installing.
- Colored glass tile shows trapped moisture less than clear glass.
Steam generator unit prices
Bathroom steam generator prices are $800 to $4,000, depending on the size, features, and brand. Features like auto-flush, quiet operation, fast heat time, and compatibility with spa options cost the most. Some support spa options like music players, chromatherapy, aromatherapy, and customizable presets.
|SteamSpa||$800 – $1,800|
|Mr. Steam||$1,000 – $4,000|
|Amerec||$1,200 – $2,700|
|Steamist||$1,450 – $4,050|
|Thermasol||$1,500 – $3,500|
- Most generators may be installed up to 25 feet away from the steam shower but should be easily accessible for maintenance.
- High-end steam generators may be installed up to 60 feet away.
- For homes lacking space outside the shower, install a waterproof generator under a bench within the shower.
Correct steam generator sizing depends on:
- Materials – Porous materials like marble and natural stone disperse heat faster than non-porous tile and require a larger generator.
- Exterior walls – Each exterior wall adds 10% or more to the generator size requirement. Heat dissipates faster on exterior walls, especially in colder climates.
- Ceiling height – A ceiling above 8 feet typically requires a larger generator.
- Windows or skylights – Steam rooms with windows or skylights usually require the next larger size generator.
Steam bath equipment cost
Steam showers only require a steam generator, steam head, and control panel, but extra features may add value and provide a real spa experience.
|Equipment type||Price range|
|Anti-slip strips||$5 – $25|
|Aromatherapy system||$750 – $950|
|Auto-flush valve||$350 – $400|
|Auxiliary controls||$150 – $350|
|Chromatherapy light therapy system||$300 – $750|
|Digital controller (basic)||$150 – $550|
|Digital controller (touch-screen)||$600 – $1,800|
|Drain pan||$80 – $165|
|Essential oils||$25 – $80|
|Regular shower lighting||$30 – $400|
|Seating||$100 – $600|
|Shelving||$30 – $200|
|Sound system||$500 – $850|
|Speakers||$100 – $300|
|Steam heads||$100 – $400|
|Wifi-capable remote control panel||$300 – $1,000|
Home steam room costs and options
Building a steam room shower combo for home
Building a steam room shower costs $3,000 to $10,000, depending on location, size, materials, and features included. A steam room shower for a home is typically larger than a regular shower, with both a traditional shower head and room for a relaxing steam session.
Walk-in shower steam rooms
A walk-in shower steam room functions as a regular shower but is fully enclosed to create a steam room experience when desired. Most prefab steam showers and custom steam showers are walk-in shower enclosures with a low threshold.
Cost of a steam shower vs. regular shower
A regular shower installation costs $2,000 to $9,000, while a steam shower costs $3,000 to $10,000 on average. Including steam adds 25%+ to the installation cost due to the larger size and additional materials, insulation, waterproofing, and plumbing and electrical work.
Steam shower vs. sauna cost
A home sauna costs the same as a steam shower at $3,000 to $10,000 on average. Steam showers heat to 110° to 115° F with near 100% humidity. Saunas run hotter at 120° to 195° F but with dry heat.
|Average cost||$3,000 to $10,000||$3,000 – $10,000|
|Heat type||Moist heat||Mostly dry heat|
|Heat-up time||10–20 minutes||15–45 minutes|
|Temperature (Fahrenheit)||110° – 115°||120° – 195°|
|Humidity||Up to 100%||Below 10%|
|Material||Non-porous tile or stone||Wood|
|Electrical requirements||Dedicated 240V circuit||Varies based on sauna type|
DIY steam shower kit cost
DIY steam shower kits cost $950 to $5,000, depending on size and features. Basic steam shower kits include a steam generator, steam head, and a basic control panel. Larger kits include multiple steam heads, aroma and light therapy, speakers, and a high-tech control panel.
|Basic kit||$950 – $2,400||
|Advanced kit||$1,200 – $5,000||
*Kits by Thermasol typically do not include the generator.
Installation may still require a local plumber or electrician.
How to build a steam shower stall
Building a steam shower stall involves many complex steps and skills. Always consult with a licensed contractor to ensure a successful design and installation.
Follow these guidelines when planning your steam shower:
- The minimum steam shower size is 3' x 3' x 7'.
- Ceiling height should be no more than 8' for best performance.
- Choose a location on an interior wall for installation. Exterior walls dissipate heat.
- Steam showers require additional insulation.
- All surfaces must be waterproofed, including the ceiling.
- Check with the manufacturer for all materials and fixtures to ensure they can handle high temperatures and steam.
- Install an exhaust fan near the shower entry or transom but never inside the steam shower.
- Consider installing two levels of lighting—bright for cleaning and dim for relaxing.
Is a steam shower worth it?
A steam shower is worth it for homeowners who would use it regularly. A steam shower costs at least 25% more than installing a regular shower but increases home resale value. Steam rooms have several proven health benefits and removes public exposure risks.
What is a steam shower?
A steam shower is a sealed shower enclosure with a generator that releases heat and steam into the stall when activated. A steam shower also functions as a regular shower and provides an alternative for homes with small water heaters, low pressure, or where high-performance showers are not feasible.
What is a steam room?
A steam room is an enclosed space that uses a generator to fill the room with heat and steam. Steam rooms typically run at 110° to 115° F with 100% humidity. Sitting in a steam room generates sweat, increases circulation, and promotes relaxation. Larger steam rooms add a social element.
What are the benefits of a steam shower?
Steam shower benefits include:
- Better skin
- Faster exercise recovery
- Improved circulation
- Improved sleep
- Pain relief
- Stress reduction
How does a steam shower work?
A steam shower uses an electric generator box to boil water and release heat and steam through one or more heads in the shower stall. A control panel inside or outside the shower allows the user to adjust the steam session's temperature and duration.
How much does it cost to run a bathroom steam shower?
Running a steam shower for 30 minutes costs $0.35 to $0.70 on average. The cost to run a bathroom steam shower depends on the steam generator size, local water and electricity rates, and usage frequency. A 30-minute steam session typically uses 2 to 2.5 gallons of water.
The heat-up time for most steam showers is about 10 minutes.
Does a steam shower increase home resale value?
A steam shower increases home resale value. Houses including a steam shower typically sell for 30% more than comparable homes without a steam shower. Including a steam shower as part of a total bathroom renovation can also bring a 60% to 68% return on investment.
Can a steam shower chamber be used as a regular shower?
A steam shower chamber functions as both a steam room and a regular shower. Most modular steam units and custom installations include a shower and may replace a traditional home shower. Since steam showers generate sweat, most people follow a steam session with a shower.
Does a steam shower need to be enclosed?
Steam showers require a complete floor-to-ceiling enclosure, exterior wall insulation, and a watertight door to prevent steam from escaping. Installing a transom over the door provides the option to release steam as desired during a shower.
How much does it cost to repair a steam room?
Steam room repair costs $300 to $750 on average. Technicians typically charge a diagnostic fee of $125 to $200. Some steam generators must be shipped to the manufacturer for repairs. Some issues can be troubleshot and fixed without a repair technician visit.
The most common steam generator problem is scale buildup in the tank. Install an autoflush system to prevent scaling and reduce calcium deposits.
Hiring a steam shower installer
Before hiring a steam shower installer, remember to:
- Get at least three written estimates to compare.
- Ask for references or a portfolio with examples of their previous steam shower installations.
- Browse their reviews on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select companies that are insured, bonded, and have been in business for more than five years.
- Avoid selecting the lowest quote as quality may suffer.
- Get a detailed estimate, contract, and warranty in writing before the work begins.
- Never pay in full before the project starts. Follow a payment plan instead for work completed.
Questions to ask
- What experience do you have installing steam showers?
- Do you have a portfolio of past work I can view?
- Do you recommend a specific steam generator brand, and why?
- Where is the best location in my home for the steam generator?
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured?
- What is and is not included in the installation fee?
- What additional costs should I expect?
- How long does the installation take?
- What maintenance is required?
- Is there a warranty, and if so, what does it include?
- What do you charge for repairs?
- If the steam generator fails, can it be repaired onsite, or will I have to ship it to the manufacturer for repairs?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted shower installers:
Break down the Costs: What an In-Home Spa Will Cost You Over Time. (2019).
Steam Showers: How to Create a Luxury Home Spa Experience. (2021).
Are Steam Showers Worth It? (2019).
Steam Rooms, Saunas, Whirlpools. (2017).
HOW MUCH DOES A STEAM SHOWER COST? (2020).
Cost to Install a Steam Shower. (2021).
Steam shower transoms. (2019).
Why a Steam Shower Should Be the Next Luxurious Addition to Your Bathroom. (2020).
Steam Shower. (2021).
Home Steam Shower: Everything You Need to Know. (2019).
Luxury Steam Generators by Steamist. (2021).
Steam generators. (2021).
Southwood Luxury Steam Shower Sauna. (2019).
EliteSteam Shower Kits. (2021).
Steam Showers. (2021).
Steam Room Benefits for Your Health. (2017).
Steam Showers. (2021).
- Lorraine Barth, Accurateindustries.com. Personal communication. (2021).
- Don Potocki, CrownBath.com. Personal communication. (2021).
- Erik Armijo, Mcfarlandhotwater.com. Personal communication. (2021).
- George High, Highelectrical.com. Personal communication. (2021).
- Terri Phillips, Homepools.com. Personal communication. (2021).
- Donielle Garcia, Framelessshowerdoors.com. Personal communication. (2021).
- Janessa Cretella, Spakeepers.com. Personal communication. (2021).
- Stephen Scheidle, Vannattamechanical.com. Personal communication. (2021).
- Kevin Kalka, Kalkaplumbingheatingandair.com. Personal communication. (2021).
- ROBERT BALISHIN, fixmyelectric.us. Personal communication. (2021).
20+ Steam shower installers in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
Get free estimates