How much does a tub to shower conversion cost?
$1,000 – $8,000 convert tub to prefab shower stall
$3,500 – $15,000 convert tub to walk-in shower
$3,500 – $15,000 convert tub to walk-in shower
Converting a tub to a shower costs $2,000 to $12,000 on average. Replacing a bathtub with a shower stall costs $1,000 to $8,000. Converting a tub to a walk-in shower costs $3,500 to $15,000. Bath Fitter tub to shower conversions cost $1,200 to $9,500. Removing a bathtub costs $70 to $800.
Get free estimates from shower installers near you, or view our cost guide below.
Cost to replace a tub with a shower
A tub to shower conversion costs $2,000 to $12,000 on average, depending on shower size, type, material, and plumbing work. The cost to replace a bathtub with a shower stall is $1,000 to $8,000 for the kit with installation. Converting a tub to a walk-in shower costs $3,500 to $15,000.
|Conversion type||Average cost|
|Convert tub to prefab shower stall||$1,000 – $8,000|
|Convert tub to walk-in shower||$3,500 – $15,000|
Compare the different types of shower installation costs when designing your new shower remodel.
Average tub to shower conversion cost
The following table shows the average cost of replacing a bathtub with a shower.
|National average cost||$7,000|
|Average range||$2,000 to $12,000|
Cost data is based on 81 project costs reported by HomeGuide members.
Convert tub to walk-in shower cost
Converting a tub to a walk-in shower costs $2,000 to $12,000 on average, depending on the shower size, material, style, and if there are shower doors. Replacing a tub with a walk-in shower stall kit costs $1,000 to $8,000. Converting a tub to a tiled walk-in shower costs $3,500 to $15,000.
|Factor||Prefab shower stall||Custom tile shower|
|Cost||$1,000 – $8,000||$3,500 – $15,000|
Cost to turn tub into a tiled shower
Removing a tub and installing a tiled walk-in shower costs $3,500 to $15,000, depending on the shower size, tile type and style, and plumbing work. The average cost to tile a shower is $800 to $3,000 for materials and labor.
Converting a tub to a tiled shower requires installing a new custom tile shower pan. Shower pan installation costs $900 to $3,500, including the new base, tile, and labor.
Cost to change a garden tub to a shower
Removing a garden tub and replacing it with a shower costs $2,000 to $12,000 on average, depending on the new shower style, materials selected, repairs needed, and plumbing modifications required. Garden tub removal and disposal alone costs $400 to $800 due to the large size.
Tub cut conversion cost
Tub cut conversions cost $800 to $1,800 on average. Contractors remove a portion of the tub's front wall, leaving only a low threshold that turns the tub into a walk-in shower for easier accessibility. Tub cut outs are a cheaper alternative to a full tub to shower conversion.
Cost to replace bathtub with shower stall
The cost to replace a bathtub with a shower stall is $1,000 to $8,000, including old tub removal, a new stall, doors, fixtures, and installation. Prefab shower stall kits alone cost $350 to $4,100, depending on size, shape, style, and material.
|Enclosure type||Average price|
|Alcove / rectangular shower stall||$500 – $2,300|
|Square / corner shower stall||$350 – $1,400|
|Neo-angle shower stall||$450 – $1,200|
|Curved / rounded shower stall||$500 – $1,300|
|Barrier-free / curbless shower stall||$2,000 – $4,100|
*Not including installation or fixtures.
Shower stalls come in a variety of styles and materials:
- Many shower stalls have built-in shelves, shampoo niches, or grab-bars.
- Shower stalls come in acrylic, fiberglass, laminate, composite, or engineered stone.
- Shower stall kits come with a matching shower pan with a center, left, or right drain. Confirm the pan's drain matches the location of the tub's drain.
- Most shower stalls don't include doors or fixtures.
- New fixtures cost $40 to $500.
- Shower doors cost $400 to $1,900, depending on if they're framed or frameless. High-end models and curved stalls may include doors.
- Home Depot, Lowe's, and other home improvement stores sell prefab shower stalls.
Bath Fitter tub to shower conversion cost
Bath Fitter tub to shower conversions cost $1,200 to $9,500 on average. Bath Fitter installers remove the old fixtures and tub, add backerboard and a proprietary wall adhesive, and install a prefabricated shower pan and shower stall. Installation usually takes only 1 day.
Cost factors to convert a tub to a shower
The cost of removing and replacing with a shower depends on the new shower size and style, materials, labor costs, plumbing work, and removing the old tub and walls.
|Remove bathtub & debris||$70 – $800|
|Cleanup and repairs||$100 – $1,000|
|Prefabricated shower stall||$500 – $1,500|
|Custom shower tiling cost||$800 – $3,000|
|Shower pan cost*||$500 – $3,500|
|Glass shower door cost||$400 – $1,900|
|New faucets / fixtures||$40 – $500|
|Shower valve replacement||$225 – $575|
|Shelf / niche / bench*||$200 – $500|
|Grab bars / handrails||$25 – $370|
|Plumbing||$500 – $1,100|
|Permits||$30 – $400|
*Only applies to a custom tile shower.
- Removing the old bathtub and repairing the walls and bathroom subflooring costs $170 to $1,800, depending on the difficulty.
- Plumbers charge $45 to $150 per hour to make new plumbing modifications, including rerouting pipes, relocating the drain, or adding dual showerheads.
- Mold, mildew, or rot cleaning may be required during the demolition process.
- Converting a tub to a shower requires replacing the 1 ½” tub drain line with a 2" shower drain line from the shower to the main line.
- Most building codes need the shower floor and stall to be at least 30"x30", and may require adding short sections of wall.
- Shower valve installation costs $225 to $575 to regulate the flow of hot and cold water.
- New shower fixtures and faucet installation costs $130 to $350 for a bathroom.
Frequently asked questions
How do contractors convert a bathtub to a shower?
To replace a bathtub with a shower, a contractor will:
- Remove the old tub and surrounding tile or drywall.
- Make any necessary repairs to the studs or bathroom flooring.
- Install new backerboard and a waterproof layer.
- Replace the 1 ½” tub drain line with a 2" shower drain line.
- Install a prefab shower stall kit or a new shower base and custom tile.
- Test the new shower for leaks.
- Install new fixtures and a shower valve.
- Install new shower glass doors, if desired.
Should I replace my bathtub with a shower?
Replacing your tub with a shower improves accessibility, adds convenience, and modernizes the space. Converting a tub to a walk-in shower may increase resale value in areas with a large aging demographic. Eliminating a home's only bathtub may decrease resale value for homebuyers with children or pets.
Is it cheaper to install a shower or tub?
Installing a tub is cheaper than a shower. Bathtub installation costs $800 to $4,600, depending on the tub type and plumbing work. A walk-in tub costs $3,000 to $15,000 installed. Shower installation costs $2,000 to $9,000, depending on size, fixtures, and type.
|Bathtub||$800 – $4,600|
|Walk-in tub||$3,000 – $15,000|
|Shower||$2,000 – $9,000|
To keep your existing tub, consider:
Hiring a tub to shower conversion contractor
Before hiring shower installers near you for your bathroom remodel, be sure to:
- Get at least three estimates to compare.
- Get references and check out a portfolio of their previous work.
- Browse their reviews on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- For tile showers, look for licensed CTEF Certified Tile Installers (CTI) who are members of the National Tile Contractors Association.
- Select companies that are insured, bonded, and have been in business for more than five years.
- Avoid selecting significantly lower quotes as quality may suffer.
- Get a detailed estimate, contract, and warranty in writing before the work begins.
- Never pay in full before the project starts. Follow a payment plan instead for work completed.
Questions to ask shower installers
- How many tub-to-shower conversions have you done before?
- Do you recommend tile, shower wall panels, or a premade shower stall for my bathroom, and why?
- Will you install a shower stall kit I purchased from a home improvement store?
- Can you provide references and a portfolio showing your work?
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured?
- What steps will you take to waterproof the shower?
- Does the estimate include the fixtures and doors?
- Does the estimate include demo, removing the old tub, and hauling away the debris?
- What is included in the final price?
- What other costs should I expect?
- Does the price include replacing the 1 ½” tub drain with a 2" shower drain?
- How long will the installation take?
- How many people will be working on the project?
- How soon will I be able to use the shower after the installation?
- Is a warranty included? If yes, what does it cover?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted shower conversion contractors:
How Much Does it Cost for Tub to Shower Conversion? (2021).
How Much Does It Cost to Turn a Tub Into a Walk-In Shower? (2021).
Convert Your Ugly Tub into a Gorgeous Shower. (2021).
Pros and Cons of Converting your Tub to a Walk in Shower. (2019).
How Much Does it Cost to Replace a Tub with a Shower. (2020).
Tub To Shower Conversion In Los Angeles & Ventura Counties. (2021).
How to Convert Tub to Shower & What Does it Cost? (2020).
How Much Does a Shower Conversion Cost, and Is It the Right Choice for Your Home? (2020).
How to Convert Your Tub to a Shower in Los Angeles. (2020).
Tub to Shower Conversion in San Jose, CA. (2018).
The Ins and Outs of Tub To Shower Conversions. (2020).
Tub to Shower Conversion: Everything You Need to Know. (2020).
Tub To Shower Conversion. (2021).
How Much Does It Cost To Change A Bathtub Into A Shower In Killeen, Harker Heights And Copperas Cove, Texas. (2020).
Twin Home Experts. Tub To Shower Conversion: Ideas and Cost. (2019).
20+ Shower installers in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
Get free estimates