Ashburn, VA 20+ Handyman Services near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Handyman Services near you
Frequently asked questions
How much does a handyman service charge?
Handyman hourly rates are $50 to $80 on average, plus the cost of materials. Most handyman work costs $150 to $600, depending on the job's size and if the handyman is self-employed or corporate. Handymen who purchase materials may have a 20% to 50% markup or a trip charge of $30 to $80.
What can a handyman legally do?
A handyman can legally do small jobs and repairs like painting a room, hanging a TV, unclogging a drain, patching a wall, replacing a ceiling fan, fixing a fence or gate, cleaning gutters, or replacing a toilet. Some states have limits on the amount handymen can legally charge before needing a license.
How to find a local handyman in your area?
Start by searching our list of handyman services near you. After finding and contacting potential candidates:
- Get at least three quotes to compare.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select handyman contractors that are licensed, bonded, and experienced.
- Discuss rates and payment methods upfront.
- Avoid selecting the lowest quote as quality may suffer.
- Ask for at least a 1-year labor warranty.
- Get a full breakdown of all labor and material costs involved.
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Discuss job timelines, work hours, and expectations for larger projects.
- Avoid making payments upfront. Instead, pay when the work is completed.
How do I hire a nearby handyman?
When looking to hire a local handyman, ask the following questions:
- What type of work can you do?
- What is your hourly rate?
- Do you have a trip charge for getting materials?
- How much do you mark up materials?
- Can you provide a written estimate upfront?
- Do you have local references or a portfolio of your work?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- What hours do you work?
- How long will the job take?
- How do you handle additional work that arises?
- Do you provide a guarantee?
- How do you handle damages that happen on the job?
- Do you work alone, or will you use subcontractors?
- What’s your payment schedule?
After asking questions and comparing estimates, hire the best handyman in your area.
Does a handyman need a license?
Many states have a “Handyman Exemption” that only requires a license for jobs over $500 to $10,000 or more, varying by state. In other states, a license is mandatory for all work. Many states also require worker’s compensation and liability insurance to protect against damage or accidents.
Do you tip a handyman?
Handymen don't expect a tip. If the handyman goes above and beyond or spends more time than expected, a tip is appreciated. Most homeowners tip a handyman $10 to $20 or between 10% and 15% of the total job.
Handyman Services Near You
There are so many local handyman ready to help you with your next project, but only one who’s perfect for the job at hand. Find someone to install your new dishwasher, remodel the kitchen, build a closet, or clean out the gutters. Install new doors, seal your deck, fix the railings on the stairs, or get rid of all those popcorn ceilings. It’s all within reach, because HomeGuide can help you find the right service provider quickly. Even if it’s a project you could do yourself, a handyman will bring all the right equipment and save you time and multiple trips to the home improvement store.
We’ve already done all the research for you by pooling our list of local handyman in town and categorizing them based on the services they provide. Once we receive your project requirements, we’ll send you a handpicked selection of the best fit for the job at hand. Read their quotes, ratings and contact information and take it from there.