Ashburn, VA 20+ Deck Builders near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Deck Builders near you
Decks & Patios Cost Guides
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to build a deck near me?
The average cost to build a deck is $15 to $30 per square foot or $4,400 to $10,000. The total price depends on local labor costs, wood type, size, level built-on, and if there's seating or stairs built-in.
How long does it take to build a deck?
An average 12'x24' deck takes one to three weeks to build, depending on the size, style, and contractor's experience. A professional team takes under a week to build a standard deck, while a custom deck above the first-level with built-ins takes up to three weeks to finish.
Does a deck add value to a home?
Spending $10,000 on a new deck increases the value of a home by $7,500 on average. Adding a deck has a 70% to 80% return on investment when selling the home.
Do you need a permit to build a deck in my area?
A building permit is required if the deck is attached to the home, services a door, over 200 square feet, more than 30 inches above the ground, has plumbing or electricity, or be built in a floodplain. Contact your local building authority to see if you need a permit in your area.
How to find local deck contractors?
To find the best deck companies, do the following:
- Get at least three price estimates to compare.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select companies that are licensed, bonded, and experienced.
- Verify their insurance, worker’s compensation, and bond guarantees.
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Ask for a full itemized estimate or contract in writing.
- Avoid making large payments upfront. Come up with a payment schedule for work completed.
After asking questions, hire the best deck contractor near you.
What questions should you ask deck companies?
When hiring a deck builder, ask them the following questions:
- How long have you been a deck contractor?
- What decking materials do you experience installing?
- What decking material do you recommend for my project?
- How many decks have you built?
- How much would my deck cost?
- What services are included in the cost?
- Are there any potential complications you foresee with this project?
- Can you provide testimonials and references from past customers?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- How long will the project take?
- Do I need permits, and will you obtain them?
- What does your warranty policy include?
- Can you provide me a written estimate or contract?
- What’s your payment schedule?
- Are financing options available?
- What do I need to provide to get started?