Ashburn, VA 20+ Hardwood Floor Installers near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Hardwood Floor Installers near you
Frequently asked questions
How much does hardwood floor installation cost?
Hardwood floor installation costs $6 to $12 per square foot on average, depending on the wood species, grade, thickness, and type. High-end wood flooring costs $12 to $23 per square foot installed. Installing unfinished wood flooring costs $2 to $5 per square foot more for finishing. Labor costs about 50% of the total project cost.
Do hardwood floors increase home value?
Hardwood floors increase home value and resale value by 2% to 5% on average. Installing wood floors has a 70% to 80% return on investment. Wood flooring increases home value better than all other materials.
How long do hardwood floors last?
Solid hardwood floors last 100 years or longer. Engineered wood flooring lasts 20 to 30 years for thin planks and 40 to 80 years for thicker planks. Both floor types need refinishing every 7 to 10 years to remove scratches, dings, stains, discoloration, and fading.
What is the difference between hardwood and engineered hardwood flooring?
Hardwood flooring is made entirely of a solid wood species like oak, maple, or walnut. Engineered wood floors have a thin top layer of hardwood bonded over plywood, making them less expensive. Engineered wood floors may be refinished 1 to 5 times, while solid hardwood floors may be refinished 4 to 10 times. Other than refinishing, both types of flooring have similar benefits and drawbacks.
Do engineered wood floors scratch easily?
Engineered hardwood floors scratch just as easily as solid wood floors. Engineered wood floors have a top layer of real hardwood, giving them similar benefits and drawbacks. Engineered wood floors can be sanded and refinished to remove scratches.
How to find the best hardwood floor installers?
Finding hardwood flooring contractors requires planning, researching, and asking questions. To hire the best:
- Get at least three in-person estimates to compare.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Verify their insurance, worker’s compensation, and bond guarantees.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Look for contractors certified with the National Wood Flooring Association (NWFA).
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Ask for a full itemized contract in writing in case of a dispute.
- Avoid making large payments upfront. Come up with a payment schedule for work completed.
What questions should I ask wood flooring contractors?
When looking to hire wood floor installers near you, ask them the following questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- How many similar projects have you built?
- Can you provide me with a list of references?
- Can I see a portfolio of your past flooring jobs?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- Will the installers remove the baseboards before installing the floors?
- Do you install an underlayment or membrane under the flooring?
- Do you take the time for proper acclimation or leave room for plank expansion?
- Do you use a moisture meter to prevent cupping and buckling?
- Do the installers seal off other rooms with plastic to contain dust?
- How do you handle damages that happen on the job?
- Who's the project manager, and will you use subcontractors?
- What hours do you and your crew work?
- How long will the project take?
- What permits do I need, and will you obtain them?
- What does your warranty policy include?
- Can you provide me a written estimate with a breakdown of all costs?
- What’s your payment schedule?
- Do you offer in-house financing?
- What do I need to provide to get started?