Ashburn, VA 20+ Masonry Contractors near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Masonry Contractors near you
How Much Does Masonry Construction Cost?
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to hire a masonry contractor?
Masonry contractors charge $35 to $100 per hour with minimum fees of $200 to $1,500. Brick and stone work costs $10 to $35 per square foot on average for projects such as a block or retaining wall, tuckpointing, or a stone or paver patio. Most residential masonry projects cost $1,000 to $8,000.
|Cinder block wall or fence||$1,500 – $6,000|
|Garden or retaining wall||$2,000 – $8,000|
|Brick repair||$150 – $2,000|
|Brick mailbox||$600 – $1,500|
|Tuckpointing or repointing||$500 – $2,500|
|Repointing chimney stack||$500 – $2,500|
|Paver patio||$1,900 – $6,800|
|Paver driveway||$4,000 – $17,000|
|Stone patio or walkway||$600 – $7,000|
|Stone steps||$1,000 – $6,000|
|Rebuild chimney stack||$1,000 – $3,500|
|Install chimney and fireplace||$4,000 – $15,000|
|Brick siding||$10,000 – $22,000|
|Stone siding||$24,000 – $43,000|
|Concrete block foundation||$8,000 – $40,000|
What do masonry contractors do?
Masonry contractors work with materials like brick, stone, cinder blocks, and poured concrete to construct and repair structures. Masonry work includes building and repairing block and retaining walls, chimneys, fireplaces, patios, walkways, siding or brick walls, and landscape curbing.
Common masonry repairs include fixing cracks, replacing bricks or blocks, replacing mortar, tuckpointing or repointing, and restoring water-damaged stone and brick.
What are the different types of brick and stone masons?
- Concrete masonry contractors – Concrete masons work with cinder blocks and poured concrete to install and repair driveways, block walls, retaining walls, sidewalks, columns, and walls.
- Stonemasons – Stonemasons work with natural and manufactured stones in projects such as a stone patio, stone steps, stone siding, and stone veneer walls.
- Brick masons – Brick masons or bricklayers work on brick projects such as tuckpointing, chimneys, fireplaces, columns, walls, and patios.
How to find local masonry contractors?
Start by searching our list of residential masonry companies, then compare reviews and costs. Next:
- Get at least three estimates to compare. Most brick masons require an onsite visit to provide an accurate estimate.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Select companies that are licensed, insured, and certified.
- Verify their insurance, worker’s compensation, and bond guarantees.
- Browse reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Look for masons certified by the Mason Contractors Association of America (MCAA), the National Concrete Masonry Association (NCMA), or other masonry organizations.
- Choose a mason who is a member of a local or national masonry union. Union members are required to undergo extensive training.
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Get a detailed estimate, contract, and warranty in writing before the work begins.
- Make sure the quote includes debris cleanup and removal.
- Never pay in full upfront. Follow a payment schedule at job milestones.
After asking questions and verifying their credentials, hire the best brick and stone work companies in your area.
What questions to ask brick masons and stonemasons?
When hiring brick and stone masonry contractors, ask them the following questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured?
- Are you certified by the Masonry Contractors Association of America?
- Can I see photos of your past projects?
- Do you offer free estimates?
- How much will my project cost?
- Will you pull the required building permits and be here for site inspections?
- Will you give me a copy of the contract before work begins?
- Do I need to power wash or prepare the brick before the project starts?
- Which mortar type will you use, and will it match the color of the existing mortar?
- Does the estimate include debris cleanup and removal?
- What additional costs should I expect?
- How do you handle damages that happen on the job?
- Are there any potential complications you foresee?
- What does your warranty policy include?
- What's your payment schedule, and what payment options do you accept?
- What do I need to provide to get started?
- How long will the project take?