Ashburn, VA 20+ Exterior Painters near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Exterior Painters near you
How Much Does Professional Painting Cost?
Frequently asked questions
How much does exterior painting cost near me?
The average cost to paint the exterior of a house is $1.50 to $4 per square foot or $1,800 to $5,000, depending on the size, number of stories, material, condition, and accessibility.
|Home Size||Square Feet||Average Costs|
|Single story||1,000 – 2,000||$1,500 – $4,000|
|Two story||1,500 – 2,500||$3,000 – $6,000|
|Three story||2,500 – 3,500||$4,500 – $10,000|
Does painting the house exterior add value?
Painting a home's exterior is a cost-effective way to increase value and boost home appeal. Exterior painting has a 55% return on investment (ROI), while interior painting has a 107% return on investment on average.
How often should you paint your house exterior?
A house exterior needs painting every five to ten years on average, depending on the location, climate, sun exposure, material, and condition. Wood siding needs repainting every 3 to 7 years, while fiber cement siding needs repainting every 10 to 15 years.
Signs a house exterior needs painting:
- Paint is peeling, flaking, bubbling, cracking, faded, or chalky
- There are exposed patches of wall
- Stucco needs patching, or wood boards need replacing
- The last paint job was longer than 10 years ago
- You are selling the home and want to boost curb appeal
How long does it take to paint a house?
An average-size house takes three to four days to paint with a professional team of three painters. A large three-story or 5+ bedroom house takes four to six days to paint the exterior on average. This time estimate includes prepping the house, painting, and cleaning up.
When is the best time to paint a house exterior?
The best time to paint a house exterior is in spring, early summer, or fall when temperatures are 50°F to 85°F and moisture is low. Consult with a local painter in your area to select the optimal time to start your project.
Why paint a house exterior?
The top reasons to paint the exterior of a house are:
- Increase home value and curb appeal
- Protect from the elements and weather damage
- Increase the lifespan of siding
- Change the look or ambiance
- Prevent exterior wood from rotting or insects
- Repair damage
Do you tip exterior painting companies?
Painting companies do not expect a tip. However, if they go above and beyond or spend more time than expected, a cold drink, hot lunch, or $10 to $20 tip is appreciated. Giving the painter a positive review on HomeGuide, Yelp, or Google is better than a tip.
How to find local exterior painters?
Start by searching our list of exterior painters, then compare reviews and costs. Next:
- Get at least three free estimates in-person to compare.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Select companies that are licensed, bonded, and experienced.
- Verify their insurance, worker’s compensation, and bond guarantees.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Ask if they are part of their local chamber of commerce or any trade associations such as the Painting Contractors Association (PCA).
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Get a detailed estimate, contract, and warranty in writing before the work begins.
- Avoid making large payments upfront. Come up with a payment schedule for work completed.
After asking questions and verifying their credentials, hire the best exterior house painters in your area.
What questions to ask exterior house painters?
When hiring a house painter, ask them the following questions:
- How long have you been a painting contractor?
- How many similar projects have you painted?
- Can I see your portfolio?
- Can you provide me with a list of references?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- Are you a member of the BBB, chamber of commerce, or any trade associations?
- Are your painters' employees or subcontractors?
- What qualities do you look for in subcontractors? Do they have professional training?
- What quality of painting materials do you use?
- What is your preparation process before painting?
- How do you handle damages that happen on the job?
- Who's the project manager?
- What hours do you and your crew work?
- How long will the project take?
- What permits do I need, and will you obtain them?
- How long is your warranty, and what does it cover?
- How much is your cost estimate?
- Can you provide me a written and signed contract with a breakdown of all costs?
- What is the structure of the payment agreements?
- Are financing options available?
- What do I need to provide to get started?