How much does it cost to paint a brick house?
$1.50 – $4.50 cost per square foot
$2,000 – $8,000 total cost for an average house
$2,000 – $8,000 total cost for an average house
Get free estimates from brick house painters near you, or view our cost guide below.
November 4, 2021Reviewed by Tom Grupa and 6 expert house painters on HomeGuide.
Cost to paint a brick house
The average cost to paint a brick house is $2,000 to $8,000. Painting a brick exterior costs $1.50 to $4.50 per square foot, depending on home size and stories, brick condition, paint type, and labor. Whitewashing or limewashing a brick house costs $1.50 to $5.00 per square foot.
|Home size (square feet)||Paintable area (square feet)*||Average cost|
|1,000 – 1,500||800 – 1,200||$1,200 – $5,400|
|1,500 – 2,000||1,200 – 1,700||$1,800 – $7,700|
|2,000 – 2,500||1,700 – 2,100||$2,500 – $9,500|
|2,500 – 3,000||2,100 – 2,500||$3,100 – $11,300|
|3,000 – 4,000||2,500 – 3,350||$3,700 – $15,100|
*Approximate paintable surface area.
- Painting a brick fireplace costs $200 to $1,000.
- Painting a chimney costs $400 to $1,500.
- Painting a brick house takes 2 to 4 days with two to three workers.
- Painted brick lasts 5 to 20 years on average.
- Mineral-based silicate is the best paint for exterior brick, which costs the most but lasts 20+ years.
Average brick house painting cost
The following table shows the average cost to paint a brick house exterior, not including doors or trim.
|National average cost||$5,000|
|Average cost range||$2,000 to $8,000|
Cost data is from research and project costs reported by HomeGuide members.
Cost to paint a brick house exterior per square foot
Painting, whitewashing, or limewashing a brick home costs $1.50 to $4.50 per square foot, depending on the home type, number of stories, and amount of detail.
|Home type||Cost per square foot|
|One-story / ranch style house||$1.50 – $2.50|
|Two-story house||$2.50 – $3.50|
|Tall homes or detailed work||$3.50 – $4.50|
Cost to whitewash a brick house
The cost to whitewash a brick house is $1.50 to $5.00 per square foot or $1,500 to $6,700 for an average home. Whitewash is diluted paint that adds a semitransparent white layer, allowing some brick texture and color to show through. The coverage level is adjustable by changing the paint-to-water ratio.
Cost to limewash a brick house
The cost to limewash a brick house is $1.50 to $5.00 per square foot or $1,500 to $6,700 for an average home. Limewash is a hydrated lime and water mixture that provides an antique look while maintaining the brick's texture and breathability. Limewash is white but can be custom tinted.
Limewashing brick as a DIY project costs $50 to $200. Mix a larger batch than anticipated to ensure a uniform transparency level throughout the project.
Cost factors to paint a brick exterior
The following factors affect the cost to paint a house exterior:
- House size and stories – Painting brick on a multi-story home costs up to 50% more and requires more labor and extra equipment like extension ladders, scaffolding, and lifts.
- Brick condition – Brick repair costs $20 to $50 per square foot, depending on the damage. The cost to rebrick a house is $8 to $18 per square foot.
- Paint – Paint costs $0.35 to $0.50 per square foot or $600 to $1,100 total for two coats of paint. Limewash materials cost $50 to $200.
- Supplies and equipment – Paint supplies cost $100 to $300 for ladders, tape, plastic/paper, drop cloths, rollers, brushes, poles, and rags.
- Brick preparation – Pressure washing a house costs $180 to $360. The brick must be thoroughly cleaned, and all cracks must be sealed.
- Permits and other costs – Permits are not always required for painting, but regulations vary by location. Scaffolding permits cost $100 to $300 and may be necessary for some areas.
- Exterior door painting costs $100 to $225 per door.
- Exterior trim painting costs $1 to $6 per linear foot.
Labor cost to paint brick
Painters charge $200 to $500 per day per worker or $1,500 to $7,500 total for labor to paint a house. Painting an average-sized house takes 2 to 4 days with two to three workers. Labor includes site prep, removing loose paint, caulking, painting, and cleaning up.
Brick masonry paint prices
Brick masonry paint costs $25 to $150 per gallon or $0.35 to $0.50 per square foot, depending on the type and brand. The total cost of brick masonry paint is $600 to $1,100 for an average house. Masonry primer costs $20 to $50 per gallon and is recommended for all brick paint jobs.
|Type||Price per gallon|
|Acrylic paint||$25 – $70|
|Mineral-based paint||$100 – $150|
|Masonry primer||$20 – $50|
Brick painting vs. staining cost
Brick staining costs $1 to $4 per square foot and permanently dyes the brick itself without altering its texture or breathability. Painting brick adds a colored layer, smoothing its texture and forming a moisture-resistant film. Painted brick requires ongoing repainting to maintain its appearance.
|Method||Cost per square foot|
|Painting brick||$1.50 – $4.50|
|Staining brick||$1.00 – $4.00|
Chimney painting cost
Chimney painting costs $400 to $1,500 on average. Masons strongly advise against painting chimneys because they have a higher risk of trapped moisture and water damage. Using mineral-based paint or brick stain maintains the bricks' breathability.
Painted chimneys typically require tuckpointing more often to repair mortar damage from trapped moisture:
- Repointing costs $8 to $30 per square foot or $20 to $50 per row.
- Brick chimney repair costs $150 to $1,000, depending on how much brick needs replacing.
Cost to paint a brick fireplace
Painting a brick fireplace costs $200 to $1,000 for professional painting or $50 to $200 as a DIY project, depending on size and paint type. The brick inside the fireplace requires heat-resistant paint.
Cost to remove paint from a brick house
Removing exterior paint from brick costs $1.50 to $9.50 per square foot on average. Using a chemical like trisodium phosphate and a brush is the best method for brick paint removal. High-pressure washing or other blasting methods are not recommended as they may damage the brick itself.
Cost to paint a brick house DIY
The cost to paint a brick house yourself is $700 to $1,400 or more, depending on the home's size. The paint costs $25 to $150 per gallon to cover 200 to 400 square feet with one coat.
- Brick is porous and typically requires 2 to 3 coats.
- Bare brick requires more paint than previously painted brick due to its higher porosity.
- DIY painting an average brick house takes two to three people 3 to 4 days.
Exterior brick painting supplies and equipment costs
The total cost for supplies to paint a brick house is $130 to $500 or more, depending on the home size and the number of stories.
|Brushes||$2 – $15|
|Bucket (5-gallon)||$6 – $8|
|Drop cloths||$5 – $30|
|Ladder||$80 – $300|
|Paint roller kit||$10 – $25|
|Paint tray||$2 – $5|
|Painter's tape||$3 – $10|
|Sandpaper||$5 – $15|
|Scraper||$6 – $20|
|Silicone or latex caulk (10 oz. tube)||$6 – $9|
|Trisodium phosphate (TSP)||$5 – $12|
|Paint sprayer rental*||$30 – $50 per day|
|Scaffolding rental*||$50 – $100 per day|
What is the best way to paint a brick house?
Let new brick weather and finish curing for at least one month before painting. Waiting a year to paint is optimal because it allows the brick to acclimate through all seasons.
Follow these steps for a successful and long-lasting paint job:
- Inspect – Check for water damage and water entry points.
- Repair – Seal cracks and fix broken mortar joints.
- Remove efflorescence – Remove the chalky residue with water and a stiff brush. Monitor the surface for its return. If efflorescence returns, find and resolve the underlying issue before painting. Efflorescence hinders paint adherence.
- Clean — Wash the bricks using a wire brush and trisodium phosphate (TSP). Allow the bricks to dry completely. Power wash at low pressure if needed.
- Protect – Mask areas not requiring paint.
- Prime – Apply an alkaline-resistant primer. Allow the surface to dry completely.
- Paint – Apply two or more coats of high-quality, breathable masonry paint. Allow each coat to dry completely. Bare brick is porous and typically needs multiple coats for full coverage.
Frequently asked questions
Can you paint a brick house?
A brick house in good condition can be painted, but it has various pros and cons. Painting over damaged brick may accelerate its deterioration due to trapped moisture. Removing paint from brick is costly and sometimes impossible, depending on the brick's condition.
Pros and cons of painting exterior brick
What is the best kind of paint to use on exterior brick?
The best paint for exterior brick is mineral-based silicate masonry paint. Mineral-based paint chemically bonds to the brick without affecting the brick's breathability, creating a mold-resistant finish that does not chip or peel. Mineral-based paint costs more than acrylic latex paint but lasts longer.
High-quality acrylic latex paint is a good short-term option but is less breathable and requires more frequent repainting.
|Brand||Price per gallon||Material|
|KILZ||$25 – $30||Acrylic|
|BEHR||$25 – $50||Acrylic|
|Valspar||$25 – $60||Acrylic|
|Sherwin Williams||$25 – $70||Acrylic|
|KIEM||$100 – $120||Mineral-based|
|Romabio||$100 – $120||Mineral-based|
|BEECK||$110 – $150||Mineral-based|
How long does painted brick last?
Exterior painted brick lasts 3 to 20 years, depending on the climate, paint type, and quality.
- Acrylic latex paint lasts 3 to 5 years on average.
- Limewashed brick fades gradually and requires reapplication every 5 to 7 years to maintain the original coverage.
- Mineral-based masonry paint typically lasts 20 or more years.
What color should I paint my brick house?
Choose a brick paint color that complements the roof and trim color and the surrounding landscape. Neutral shades like cream or gray provide a classic, timeless look. Check out houses in the area for ideas, or use an online tool to view the home with potential color choices applied.
Can you power wash an exterior brick surface that has been painted?
Painted brick in good condition can be power washed. Always use low pressure to prevent damaging the mortar or older bricks. Power washing may remove chipped or peeling paint, so reserve the process for when you plan to repaint or reseal immediately afterward.
Hiring a brick house painter
Before hiring painting services near you, remember to:
- Get at least three estimates to compare.
- Look for licensed and insured contractors with experience painting exterior brick.
- Ask for references or a portfolio of past projects going back at least five years to see how their work holds up the long term.
- Browse their reviews on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select companies that are insured, bonded, and have been in business for more than five years.
- Avoid selecting the lowest quote as quality may suffer.
- Get a detailed estimate, contract, and warranty in writing before the work begins.
- Never pay in full before the project starts. Use a payment plan instead for work completed.
Questions to ask
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured?
- What experience do you have painting brick houses?
- Do you have a portfolio of your previous paint jobs?
- What type of paint do you recommend for exterior brick, and why?
- Will you be using a primer coat?
- What's your most-used color right now for exterior paint?
- How long will the project take?
- How long will the paint take to dry?
- What is and is not included in the estimate?
- What additional costs should I expect?
- How long should the paint job last?
- Is there a warranty, and if so, what does it include?
- Do I need a permit, and if so, will you obtain one?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
- HomeGuide Exterior Painting Pro Survey - 48 Professionals. (2021).
- Craftsman National Estimator Cloud. (2021).
Cost to Paint Brick. (2021).
Tips for Painting Exterior Brick and How Much it Costs. (2021).
Cost To Paint Brick. (2021).
EXTERIOR PAINTING COST. (2021).
- Gleason, Dennis D. "2020 National Painting Cost Estimator" (PDF). (2020).
20+ House painters in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
Get free estimates