How much does it cost to coat or seal a roof?
$1 – $4 cost per square foot
$500 – $2,000 average total cost
$500 – $2,000 average total cost
Get free estimates from roof repair contractors near you, or view our cost guide below.
March 15, 2022Reviewed by Tom Grupa and 2 expert roof repair contractors on HomeGuide.
Roof coating prices
Roof coating costs $1 to $4 per square foot, depending on the sealant type, roof material and access, prep work required, and number of layers. The average cost to coat and seal a roof is $500 to $2,000. Roof coating prices are $0.15 to $2.75 per square foot for the materials only.
|National average cost||$1,250|
|Average cost range||$500 to $2,000|
Cost data is from research and project costs reported by HomeGuide members.
Roof coating cost by sealant type
Roof coating costs $0.50 to $4.50 per square foot installed, depending on the sealant type, roof access, prep work, and whether it’s sealing a new roof or recoating.
|Sealant type||Material cost (SF)||Total cost installed (SF)|
|Silicone||$0.50 – $1.40||$1.50 – $4.50|
|Polyurethane||$0.45 – $1.30||$1.50 – $4.00|
|Acrylic / elastomeric||$0.15 – $0.80||$0.50 – $3.00|
|Liquid rubber||$0.80 – $1.20||$1.50 – $2.50|
|EPDM sheets||$1.80 – $5.00||$3.00 – $11.00|
|Bitumen||$0.85 – $1.50||$1.00 – $2.50|
Silicone roof coating prices
Silicone roof coating prices are $1.50 to $4.50 per square foot installed. Silicone roof coating is highly durable and waterproof but attracts dirt and becomes slippery when wet. Contractors charge 20%+ more for complex applications on sloped roofs.
- Lasts 10 to 15 years
- Protects against extreme weather
- Reflects up to 90% UV rays
- Resists leaks from ponding water on flat roofs
Polyurethane (polyurea) roof coating cost
Polyurethane roof coating costs $1.50 to $4.00 per square foot installed. This coating lasts 30 to 50 years on average, insulates well, and is compatible with many roofing materials. Polyurethane typically comes in blends of acrylic-urethane with or without elastomeric additives.
- Suitable for high foot-traffic
- Highly impact-resistant
- Resistant to pooling water
- Best for low-sloping or flat roofs
- Common for commercial roofing systems
Acrylic roof coating cost
Acrylic roof coating costs $0.50 to $3.00 per square foot installed, depending on the number of coats and sealant type. The most popular acrylic-based coatings are blends that include elastomeric rubbers, silicone, or urethane.
- Lasts 7 to 20 years on average
- Needs outside temperatures above 50°F to cure
- Comes in many colors
- Suits hot and sunny climates
- Not ideal for flat roofs
- Unsuitable for climates with heavy rain
Liquid-rubber roof coating cost
Liquid-rubber roof coating costs $1.50 to $2.50 per square foot installed. This thick coating works on many roof materials and often requires only one coat. Liquid-rubber types include EPDM and elastomeric-coating blends.
- Extends the roof life by 10 to 20 years
- Strong UV resistance
- Often used for instant leak repairs
- Needs outside temperatures above 55°F to cure.
EPDM sheet roof coating cost
Installing EPDM sheeting costs $3 to $11 per square foot. Removing the old layer adds $0.50 to $2.00 per square foot for replacements. Roofers recommend this coating for flat or low-sloped roofs. This coating only comes in black and leaks through the seams without proper installation.
Bitumen roof coating cost
Bitumen roof coating costs $1.00 to $2.50 per square foot installed for one new layer of hot roofing tar with a mineral surface cap sheet. Contractors also use asphalt-based sealants and roofing cements around skylights, chimneys, and flashing on many roof types.
- Asphalt-cement sealants cost $10 to $25 per square foot for minor leak repairs.
- Fees are 20% to 25% more for complex-shaped roofs.
Sealing costs by roof material and type
Pitched roofs cost 35% to 50% more in labor than flat roofs due to greater installation complexity and safety precautions.
- Acrylic-based coatings are best for sloped roofs.
- Steeper roofs with tiles or shingles won’t need coatings.
|Sealant type||Cost per square foot installed|
|Metal and aluminum roofs||$0.50 – $4.00|
|Asphalt shingle roof (patching)||$1.00 – $2.50|
|Polyurethane foam (SPF) roof system||$2.00 – $6.00|
|Flat roof||$1.00 – $4.00|
|Mobile home roof||$0.50 – $4.50|
Not all coating sealants adhere to all roofs well. Always check the coating manufacturer’s instructions to verify compatibility with the roof materials.
Metal and aluminum coating costs
Metal roof coating costs $0.50 to $4.00 per square foot, depending on how rusted it is, repairs needed, and roof accessibility. Coatings suitable for metal roofing include Silicone, EPDM & other liquid rubbers, aluminum-based blends, or Elastomeric-acrylic coatings.
Alternatively, metal roof painting costs $1.20 to $2.70 per square foot.
Sealing asphalt shingles
The National Roofing Contractors Association advises against coating or painting asphalt roof shingles. Painting these shingles prevents proper drainage. Fixing small leaks with bitumen patching costs $1.00 to $2.50 per square foot around flashing and skylights.
Alternative options include:
- Replacing up to 25 broken or missing shingles costs $100 to $300.
- An asphalt roof-over costs $300 to $600 per 100 square feet.
Polyurethane foam roof coating (SPF) cost
Spray polyurethane foam roof coating (SPF) costs $2 to $6 per square foot, depending on the thickness and materials used. This sealant also needs a final elastomeric or silicone topcoat to prevent UV damage. Poly-foam works for flat and sloped roofs but needs recoating every 5 to 7 years.
Cost to seal a flat roof
Sealing a flat roof costs $500 to $2,000 on average or $1 to $4 per square foot, depending on the material. Resealing makes the roof last longer to prevent an early replacement.
|Roof size (square foot)||Average cost installed|
|100||$100 – $400|
|250||$250 – $1,000|
|500||$500 – $2,000|
|1,000||$1,000 – $4,000|
- Not all coating blends have the same water resistance. Most flat EPDM rubber roofs and bitumen roofs should use a silicone-based or acrylic-elastomeric coating.
- A full flat roof replacement costs $2,500 to $9,000 on average.
Mobile home roof coating cost
Mobile home roof coating costs $0.50 to $4.50 per square foot on average. Prices vary depending on the sealant type, brand, and roof size. The best sealants for mobile homes are elastomeric-acrylic blends or liquid rubber.
Alternatively, a mobile home roof replacement costs $1,500 to $5,000 on average.
Coating other roof types
Although many roof coatings are compatible with a large variety of roof materials, not all roofs benefit from sealants.
- Concrete tile sealing is not essential unless the climate promotes moss growth. Use water-repellant acrylics that let concrete breathe rather than sealing all moisture inside them.
- Wood shingles don’t need coatings. Optional finishes include fungicides, fire-retardants, or oil-based stains with a wood preservative and water repellant. Sealing wood shingles with waterproof materials traps water and leads to damages.
- Rubber roofs don’t require coatings. EPDM rubber is fully waterproof. If a roof needs to reflect heat, roofers apply a white reflective coating on top of the rubber after installation.
Roof coating prices by brand
The following table shows common brands at retail prices. Contractors typically purchase directly from the manufacturer at different fees.
|Brand||Material cost per square foot||Types available|
|GacoRoof||$0.60 – $1.40||
|Henry||$0.15 – $0.40||
|Black Jack||$0.20 – $1.00||
|Liquid Rubber||$1.20 – $2.50||
|Lanco||$0.50 – $1.50||
|Ames||$0.30 – $1.50||
|Uniflex||$0.50 – $1.00||
|HydroStop||$2.20 – $2.75||
Roof sealing cost factors
|Factor||Cost per square foot|
|Materials||$0.15 – $2.75|
|Labor||$0.50 – $3.00|
|Total cost to install||$0.65 – $5.75|
Labor costs for roof sealant application
Roof sealing professionals charge $0.50 to $3.00 per square foot for labor, depending on the roof size, height, and application method. Fees increase for areas outside the standard service area or in difficult working conditions.
- A roofer’s minimum service fees are $150 to $300.
- Handyman prices are $50 to $80 per hour for small sealing jobs that don’t require permits.
Cool roof coating for reflecting heat cost
Installing reflective roof coating costs $0.50 to $4.50 per square foot for silicone, acrylic, polyurea, aluminum-based sealants, or liquid rubber. These silver or white cooling paints repel the sun’s heat to stabilize indoor temperatures, unlike black roofs that store heat.
- White cool-roof coatings are most reflective, repelling 60% to 90% of all sunlight.
- Fibered and un-fibered aluminum coatings are only for metal or concrete roofs.
Roof cleaning, repairs, and prep work before sealing
Sealants won't adhere properly to a dirty roof or in winter weather. Without proper adhesion, the roof may need a full replacement.
Roof cleaning and coating costs depend on the preparation work needed:
- A roof inspection costs $150 to $350.
- Roof cleaning costs $250 to $600 and includes clearing debris and deep cleaning the roof surface.
- Roof leak repair costs $500 to $1,200.
- Gutter cleaning costs $110 to $185.
- Power washing a roof costs $170 to $270.
- Roofing permits cost $150 to $500 when roof coatings are part of a new roof overlay or after a roof repair or replacement.
- Removing old roofing costs $0.50 to $2.50 per square foot, including disposal.
DIY roof coating and sealing cost
DIY roof coating costs $50 to $150 for basic supplies, plus $125 to $275 per 5-gallon bucket of silicone or acrylic sealing material. Check with the local building department first because some states only allow licensed roofing contractors to perform roof work.
How much roof coating do I need?
One gallon of roof coating covers 50 to 100 square feet per layer, depending on the thickness, application method, and the roof material covered. Some sealants require 2+ coats.
|Roof size (square feet)||Gallons needed (1 layer)||Gallons needed (2 layers)|
|500||5 – 10||10 – 20|
|1,000||10 – 20||20 – 40|
|2,000||20 – 40||40 – 80|
*Material prices only.
What is roof coating and sealing?
Roof coating or sealing adds a new waterproofing layer that protects the roof surface and extends its lifespan. Installing a roof coating is often the final step after repairing and patching an old roof.
Reasons to coat a roof
Reasons to coat a roof include these important benefits:
- Waterproofing – All roof sealants repel water and fill hairline cracks. Silicone and urethane resist ponding on flat roofs better than acrylic coatings.
- Extend roof life – Sealing a weathered roof can extend the roof’s lifespan by 7 to 10 years with coatings that protect against UV exposure and leaks.
- Flame resistance – Not all coatings resist fires. Check the product specs to see if it has a UL fire rating.
- Resists corrosion – Roof sealants and coatings prevent corrosion on metal roofs. Aluminum-based, silicone, polyurethane, rubber, and elastomeric-acrylic coatings shield metal from the elements.
- Inhibits moss and algae – Coating a roof stops all mold, moss, and bacteria growth by repelling the moisture they thrive on. Silicone coatings work well in rainy and humid climates.
- Reduces energy expenses – Reflective roof coating reduces energy expenses, saving 10% to 35% in annual cooling costs.
How often should you coat a flat roof?
Coat a flat roof every 3 to 5 years, depending on the climate. Areas in the Southern U.S. with frequent heavy rain and above-average UV exposure need re-coating most often.
Does a rubber roof need a coating?
An EPDM rubber roof typically does not need a coating because it naturally resists weather damage. Check with the EPDM manufacturer to confirm which coatings are compatible before applying a new coating. Repairing leaks often requires applying a new EPDM layer.
Finding and hiring a roof coating contractor
- Get at least three in-person estimates to compare.
- Check their credentials:
- State contractor license
- National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) certification
- Roof Coatings Manufacturers Association membership
- Verify that the roofing contractor has experience with your roof type.
- Look at their reviews on HomeGuide and Google.
- Seek certified, insured, and bonded companies with 5+ years of experience.
- Get a written estimate, contract, and warranty before work begins.
- Avoid companies with the cheapest quotes as quality may suffer.
- Don’t pay in full upfront. Follow a payment plan and save receipts.
Questions to ask
- Can you show me a list of references?
- Do you provide a free estimate and roof inspection?
- Which sealant or coating do you recommend for my roof type in this climate?
- Does the roof need repairs before coating? If so, how much will that cost?
- What brand do you typically use? Are you a certified applicator of that product?
- How will this coating affect my roof’s fire rating?
- Does this bid include prep work, roof surface repairs, and power washing before applying the coating, or does that cost extra?
- How long will the project take?
- What will you do in the event of unexpected bad weather?
- How will you access my roof? What safety precautions will you take?
- Will you obtain any necessary permits?
- What’s in your warranty, and how long does it last?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO COAT A ROOF? Accessed 10 Mar 2022.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO SEAL A ROOF? Accessed 10 Mar 2022.
Cost Of Silicone Restoration Membrane For A Commercial Roof. Accessed 10 Mar 2022.
Roof Coating Costs And Benefits. Accessed 10 Mar 2022.
White Roof Coating Cost. Accessed 10 Mar 2022.
LIQUID RUBBER prices. Accessed 10 Mar 2022.
20+ Roof repair contractors in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
Get free estimates