Ashburn, VA 20+ Carpenters near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Carpenters near you
Frequently asked questions
What does a carpenter do?
Carpenters construct, remodel, and repair structures and home fixtures made from wood and other materials. Carpenters build projects such as decks, gazebos, framing rooms and houses, installing stairs, cabinets, trim, baseboards, crown molding, and more.
How much do carpenters charge near me?
Carpenters cost $40 to $100 per hour on average to hire, depending on the project's size and type, materials, and local labor rates. Carpenters charge $5 to $20 per square foot to frame houses, walls, and ceilings from top to bottom with plates and studs.
What are the different types of carpenters?
The main types of carpentry services are:
- Rough and framing carpenters – Includes the rough framing of walls, ceilings, rafters, floors, beams, and roofing for new structures and remodeling.
- Finish carpenters – Includes general carpentry such as cabinetry, furniture making, fine woodworking, parquetry, joinery, or other carpentry where precise joints are important.
- Trim carpenters – Includes ornamental work such as installing and repairing trim, molding, and baseboards on doors, windows, flooring, staircases, and ceilings.
- Cabinetmakers – Includes fine and detailed carpentry work, such as custom cabinets, wardrobes, and shelves, and furniture designed for storage.
Where can I find a good local carpenter?
To find the local carpenter services, do the following:
- Start your search on websites like HomeGuide and Google and look for recommended carpenters.
- Get at least three price estimates to compare.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select companies that are licensed, bonded, and experienced.
- Verify their insurance, worker’s compensation, and bond guarantees.
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Ask for a full itemized estimate or contract in writing.
- Avoid making large payments upfront. Come up with a payment schedule for work completed.
After asking questions, hire the best carpenter near you.
What questions should I ask carpenters in my area?
When hiring a carpenter handyman, ask them the following questions:
- How long have you been a carpenter?
- Can you provide testimonials and references from past customers and photos from previous projects?
- How much will my project cost?
- Are there any potential complications you foresee with my project?
- What type of materials will you use?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- Can you provide me a written estimate or contract?
- What’s your payment schedule?
- What do I need to provide to get started?