Ashburn, VA 20+ Water Heater Repair Services near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Water Heater Repair Services near you
Frequently asked questions
How much does water heater repair cost?
Water heater repair costs $150 to $700 on average. Water heater service costs $100 to $350 to replace the heating element, thermocouple, igniter, anode rod, dip tube, or thermostat. Tankless water heater maintenance costs $75 to $300, and tankless repairs cost $300 to $1,300. Water heater flushing costs $75 to $250. Leaking tanks typically require replacing the water heater for $600 to $1,800.
What are the signs a hot water heater is going out?
Signs a water heater is going bad:
- Rusty, discolored, or metallic-tasting water
- Loud clanging, knocking, gurgling, or whining noises
- Hot water that runs out quickly
- Low water pressure
- Foul odor coming from hot water
- Low or irregular water temperature, or no hot water at all
- Leaks at the base of the tank or around the pipes at the top of the tank
Should I repair or replace my water heater?
Tank water heaters last 8 to 15 years. Tankless water heaters last 10 to 20 years. Consider replacing a water heater over 10 years old or if the repair costs are more than 50% of the replacement cost.
Most tank water heater warranties cover parts for 6 to 12 years, depending on the brand. Tankless water heater warranties last 5 to 15 years.
Who fixes water heaters?
Plumbing companies fix most water heater problems, including leaks, strange noises, rusty water, low water pressure, or no hot water. Hire a residential electrician instead if the unit trips the circuit breaker, overheats the water heater's fuse box, or has loose wiring that trips the unit's reset button.
How long do hot water heaters last?
Tank hot water heaters last 8 to 15 years on average. Tankless water heaters last 10 to 20 years on average.
Can I repair a water heater myself?
Homeowners with plumbing experience may perform common water heater repairs such as replacing the anode rod, dip tube, thermocouple, pressure relief valve, or flushing the tank. However, manufacturer warranties and local building codes may require a licensed plumber to make repairs.
How to find water heater services near me?
Finding a reputable plumber requires planning, researching, and asking questions. To hire the best:
- Get at least three estimates from plumbers to compare.
- Look for plumbers with experience repairing tank or tankless water heaters.
- Select companies that are licensed, insured, and bonded.
- Check out their reviews and previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Ask about their guarantees and warranties.
- Get an itemized estimate, contract, and warranty in writing before the work begins.
- Avoid making payments upfront. Pay after repairs are completed.
What questions should I ask a water heater repair service?
When looking to hire a plumber near you, ask them the following questions:
- Which part of my water heater is malfunctioning?
- Should I repair the water heater or replace it instead, and why?
- How much longer will the water heater last after repairs, and what can I do to make it last longer?
- Which type of water heater do you have the most experience repairing?
- How long will the repairs take?
- What additional costs should I expect?
- Does a warranty cover the new parts?
- Do you provide a warranty on the repairs?
- What does your water heater tune-up service include?
- What payment methods do you accept?
- What do I need to provide to get started?