How much does a water heater gas valve replacement cost?
$150 – $550 average cost to replace
Get free estimates from plumbers near you, or view our cost guide below.
January 11, 2022Reviewed by Tom Grupa and 2 expert plumbers on HomeGuide.
Water heater gas valve replacement cost
Water heater gas valve replacement costs $150 to $550 on average. Hot water heater gas control valve prices are $100 to $300 for the part alone, plus $50 to $250 for labor. Replacing a water heater pressure relief valve costs $50 to $300.
|National average cost||$350|
|Average cost range||$150 to $550|
Cost data is from research and project costs reported by HomeGuide members.
Consider replacing the entire water heater if the repair estimate is over $500 or the unit is more than 10 years old. Water heater replacement costs $600 to $1,800.
Cost factors to replace gas control valve on a hot water heater
Costs to replace a gas control valve depend on the brand of the valve and labor. Diagnosing a failed gas valve involves troubleshooting several more common part failures, often leading to other potential repairs.
|Gas control valve part||$100 – $300|
|Labor cost to replace||$50 – $250|
|Total replacement cost||$150 – $550|
Gas control valve for water heater prices
Gas control valve prices are $100 to $300 for the part alone, depending on the brand. The gas valve controls the flow of gas to the water heater's burner, allows the pilot light to ignite, and shuts down the gas supply if the water temperature reaches critical heat limits.
Labor cost to replace gas control valve
Plumbers charge $45 to $150 per hour for labor, with minimum service fees of $50 to $200. Replacing a gas control valve takes 1 to 1.5 hours.
Other potential repairs
Other water heater repairs cost $150 to $700 on average, depending on the problem. Troubleshooting the gas control valve involves testing several more common malfunctioning parts, including the pilot light, ignitor, thermocouple, thermostat, or pressure relief valve.
Cost to replace hot water heater pressure valve
Replacing a water heater pressure relief valve costs $50 to $300. The pressure relief valve, or TPR valve, is the most important safety device in the water heater. If the pressure inside the tank gets too high, the valve opens and releases water to prevent the tank from exploding.
DIY hot water heater gas valve replacement cost
DIY water heater gas valve replacement costs $100 to $300 for the valve and $10 to $20 for the necessary tools and supplies like a screwdriver, wrench, and Teflon tape. Replacing the valve yourself saves $50 to $250 in labor costs.
Follow these important safety precautions before replacing the gas valve DIY:
- Always check for gas odors before any DIY repair involving a gas appliance.
- Turn off the gas and water supplies.
- Unplug the water heater to avoid electrical hazards.
- Use a factory-authorized replacement part that matches the old valve for proper fit and safety.
Frequently asked questions
What are signs the gas valve on a water heater is bad?
Signs of a bad water heater gas valve include:
- Lack of hot water
- Water that overheats beyond the set temperature
- The pilot button doesn't pop up after pressing
- The control knob doesn't turn
- Gas leakage around the valve connection
Since these are also common signs of other component failures, rule out simpler repairs first. Check the pilot light, ignitor, and thermocouple before assuming the gas valve has failed.
What causes a gas valve to go bad?
A bad gas valve results from wear or corrosion over time, sediment build-up, or water damage in a leaking or flooded basement.
Are water heater gas valves interchangeable?
Water heater gas valves are not always interchangeable. Brand-specific valve styles and connections ensure gas flow to the pilot and burner matches the heater's BTU output. Different fuel sources, like natural gas, propane, and oil-fired heaters, use different valves.
Where is the gas valve on a hot water heater?
The gas control valve is mounted outside the water heater near the bottom of the unit for easy access.
How much does a furnace gas valve replacement cost?
A furnace gas valve replacement costs $200 to $800 installed. A replacement is more cost-effective than a furnace gas valve repair since the increased labor costs exceed the cost of a new part.
Hiring a water heater repair service
Before hiring a local plumber for water heater repairs, be sure to:
- Look for a licensed plumber that has been in business for more than five years.
- Browse their reviews on HomeGuide and Google.
- Get at least three estimates to compare.
- Avoid selecting the lowest quote as quality may suffer.
- Get a detailed estimate, contract, and warranty in writing before the work begins.
- Never pay in full upfront. Follow a payment plan and do not make the final payment until fully satisfied.
Questions to ask
- How long have you been in business?
- How many water heater repairs have you completed in the last year?
- Should I replace the gas control valve or replace the whole water heater instead? Why?
- Does your estimate include parts and labor?
- Is there a separate service fee to diagnose the problem?
- What additional costs should I expect?
- How long will the repairs take?
- Does a warranty cover the new part?
- Do you guarantee your work or offer a warranty on the repairs?
- Will you provide a list of references with contact information?
- May I have a copy of your insurance policy for my records?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
How much does water heater repair cost? (2021).
- Thomson, James. 2020 National Plumbing & HVAC Estimator. PDF File (2020).
- HomeGuide Water Heater Repair Survey of 85 Professionals. (2021).
Water Heater Repair Cost Guide: Don’t Pay Too Much! (2020).
Water Heater Service Costs Guide for Repairs. (2020).
20+ Water heater repair services in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
Get free estimates