Near You 20+ Locksmiths near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Locksmiths near you
Frequently asked questions
How much does a locksmith cost near me?
A locksmith costs $60 to $120 to unlock a car or open a house door, $50 to $180 to rekey house and car locks, and $80 to $200 to change locks or install a house deadbolt. Locksmiths charge a minimum call-out fee of $30 to $85, or $100 to $250 for after-hours service.
What services does a locksmith or keysmith provide?
Locksmiths provide 24-hour emergency service for residential and commercial problems. Locksmiths can:
- Unlock a house or car
- Rekey a home or car
- Change locks on a house
- Make a car key without the original
- Duplicate keys
- Program a key fob, remote, or transponder key
- Program dealer chip keys
- Install a deadbolt or high-security lock
- Keyless entry and master key systems
- Open a safe or office cabinet
- Replace an ignition cylinder
- Home and office security systems
- Specialized commercial locks
- Open or rekey a garage door
- Extract broken keys in cars and homes
- Open or rekey a sliding glass door
- Push-button locks
How long does it take for a locksmith to come?
Locksmiths take 10 to 30 minutes to show up. After arriving, locksmiths take another 5 to 45 minutes to unlock or rekey the average door.
Do locksmiths need proof of address or ownership?
Locksmiths must legally check an ID document, driver's license, or insurance card to verify the home address or car's VIN before their permitted to unlock a house or car.
Do you tip a locksmith?
Locksmiths do not expect a tip. However, if the locksmith shows up during emergency hours or spends more time than expected, a $5 to $20 tip is appreciated.
How do I find the best locksmith near me?
Start by searching our list of locksmiths in your area, then compare reviews and costs. After finding and contacting potential keysmiths:
- If you are not in an emergency, get at least three free estimates to compare.
- Call your roadside assistance or insurance company for a pre-approved list of locksmiths.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Select companies that are licensed, insured, and certified.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Not all states require locksmiths to have a license. Certified locksmiths with the Associated Locksmiths of America (ALOA) will have a license.
- Avoid making payments upfront. Pay after the work is completed.
After asking questions and verifying their credentials, hire the best residential locksmith in your area.
What questions to ask local locksmiths before hiring?
When hiring a locksmith in your area, ask them the following questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- How many similar projects have you completed?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- Do you specialize in specific services?
- Can you provide testimonials and references from past customers?
- Do you offer 24/7 emergency services?
- Are there any potential complications you foresee with this project?
- How long will the job take?
- Do you offer a warranty or guarantee?
- How much do you charge?
- What payment options do you accept?
- What do I need to provide to get started?