Ashburn, VA 20+ Land Surveyors near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Land Surveyors near you
Frequently asked questions
How much does a land survey cost near me?
A land survey costs $250 to $700 on average or $20 to $100 per acre for large land plots. An ALTA or ACSM survey costs $1,000 to $2,000 for a platted lot less than 10,000 sq. ft. Costs depend on the size of the plot and type of survey.
Who pays for land survey buyer or seller?
The home buyer typically pays for a land survey, but it's a negotiable item in the contract. A land survey shows the property boundaries, fencing, easements, and encroachments and must be acceptable to the Title Company and Buyer's lender.
What do residential land surveyors do?
A residential property surveyor determines the precise location of property lines, fencing, easements, encroachments, roads, and other features. Surveyors prepare maps, plots, and reports used for deeds, construction, or other legal documents.
What is land surveying used for?
A land survey is necessary when:
- Buying a home.
- Constructing a new home or accessory buildings.
- Identifying the precise boundaries of property lines and any potential restrictions to settle property disputes.
- Building a swimming pool, privacy fence, garage, or home addition on an existing property.
- Ensuring easements, encroachments, and roads are not blocked or crossed.
What are the different types of land surveys?
The main types of land surveys are:
- ALTA/ACSM Survey – Used when buying and selling real estate. This detailed land survey includes the physical features and characteristics of the land.
- Boundary Survey – Used to determine property lines when buying, dividing, improving, or building on the land.
- Location Survey – Similar to a boundary survey, and includes marking all the additions and improvements made to a property. A location survey ensures the property boundaries and zoning laws have been adhered to.
- Construction Staking – Used to interpret engineering plans when constructing a structure.
- Right-of-Way Survey – Used to determine the access rights or points on a property, such as an easement.
- Topographic Survey – Used to plot and map all surface features and elevations of a property.
How long does a house survey take?
A house survey takes 1.5 to 4 hours to conduct on-site, then 3 to 5 business days for the survey results to come back. The time depends on the size of the plot, quality and availability of property records and deeds, and the surveyor's workload.
Where to find local land survey companies?
To find the local survey companies, do the following:
- Start your search on websites like HomeGuide and Google.
- Get at least three price estimates from licensed properly line surveyors to compare.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select companies that are licensed, bonded, and experienced.
- Verify their insurance, worker’s compensation, and bond guarantees.
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Ask for a full itemized estimate or contract in writing.
- Avoid making large payments upfront. Come up with a payment schedule for work completed.
After asking questions, hire the best boundary surveyor near you.
What questions should you ask properly line surveyors?
When hiring a lot surveyor, ask them the following questions:
- How long have you been a surveyor?
- What type of survey do I need?
- Is the survey I need already on file somewhere?
- How long will the finished report take to come back?
- How many properties have you surveyed?
- What services are included in the cost?
- Are there any potential complications you foresee with this plot?
- Can you provide testimonials and references from past customers?
- Are you licensed, insured, and bonded?
- What does your warranty policy include?
- Can you provide me a written estimate or contract?
- What’s your payment schedule?
- What do I need to provide to get started?