Im always looking for a small contractor that can wow me. One that not only meets my expectation but can go beyond it; to provide outstanding service for an outstanding price, which compels me to want to do more business with them. My wife works with an organization that even helps minority and women run businesses get loans to expand. So Im always looking for an opportunity to help where I can.
Unfortunately, D Landscape and Construction fails on so many accounts, I cant help but warn others away. While Bruce (contractor) and Heather (admin) are pleasant enough, their inability to schedule, their inability to communicate, and their constant cancellations disrupted the life of my wife and me to such an extent, we were not just dissatisfied, we were angry.
* The frequent cancellations from week to week, often the day of in the morning, through a text from Heather, caused us to scramble on multiple occasions. Rearranging child care and work meetings isnt easy, and Bruce and Heather forced us to do this several times. And as much as Bruce initially talked about his guys and skilled laborers, it always seemed that if Bruce was unable to make it, his team was unable to make it. Im flabbergasted, as the smallest of contractors weve worked with in the past always had someone show up for a scheduled job, even if they had to swap people around.
* Heather repeatedly ignored my requests to give me Bruces number. I never had to ask multiple times for the number of the site supervisor. I sleuthed it down anyway, and when Bruce and I talked, he told me there was no reason Heather shouldnt have give me his number.
* Bruce was ok with me working with my own wood supplier, though he ominously noted in the beginning he had high standards and talked about another supplier with whom he had a relationship. Apparently, the same product with this supplier was 3x higher.
* I was going to have the supplier deliver the wood same day, so bruce to install and paint. He wanted to paint at his shop first. But when Heather and Bruce couldnt guarantee a pick up date from my house, and I wasnt going to store indefinitely waiting for them, I asked if it would be simpler for him to pick it up. Of course, they said, and I was happy to pay them 75% of the delivery fee I would have paid. Oh boy, what a mistake.
* Seems I was in for a treat with just how high Bruces standards were, First, it took him nearly three weeks to pick up the wood after I bought it.
* When Bruce and Heather they finally picked up the material, Heather complained to me personally by text (not Bruce, not by phone) that Bruce discovered 2/3 of the material was warped *after when he got back to his shop with it*. (Im still in shock to this day they didnt do their due diligence.) But wait, theres more.
* Heather and Bruce returned 2/3 of the material to exchange it. They encountered such hardships finding good material they said they told the supplier to just keep the material, reimburse me, and they left, without the remaining material.
* I get a text (again, no call) a day later (not on the day theyre experiencing issues, but one day later) with their excuses and that Im on the hook for their travel expenses, and the ball is in my court. Wow. Just wow. When I call the wood supplier, the guy says, Look, theyre really picky. Out of 43 pieces, they couldnt find 10 to their liking. So 80%+ of the material was bad, according to Bruce and Heather. Wow.
* When I responded forcefully to Heathers text, which told me I needed to pay them service fees for their travel back and forth to the wood supplier, and that the ball was in my court, I told them to do their jobs or the deal was off, they decided to end the deal, telling me they would return my first half payment, less their fees. Needless to say, I declined their generous offer, and the credit card seemed to agree with me.
* They still havent returned the 5 remaining good pieces to the wood supplier.
Please be cautious with these two. They arent malicious, they are just not ready or prepared to deliver quality work.