How Much Does Professional Rug Cleaning Cost?
$2 – $7 Per Square Foot
$60 – $300 5'x8' Area Rug
$150 – $600 8'x10' Area Rug
$60 – $300 5'x8' Area Rug
$150 – $600 8'x10' Area Rug
Professional rug cleaning costs $2 to $7 per square foot on average, depending on the size, quality, material, and method. A standard 8'x10' area rug costs $150 to $600 to clean. Extra rug washing treatments such as odor or stain removal add $10 to $50 to the total cost.
Get free estimates from rug cleaners near you or view our cost guide below.
Area Rug Cleaning Cost
Area rug cleaning costs $60 to $300 for a 5'x8' rug and $150 to $600 for an 8'x10' rug. Professional rug cleaning costs $1 to $5 per square foot for dry cleaning and $3 to $8 per square foot for hand-washing. Oriental rug cleaning prices depend on the material, quality, and size.
|Size (ft)||Steam / Dry Clean||Hand Wash|
|2x4||$10 – $40||$25 – $65|
|3x5||$20 – $75||$45 – $120|
|4x6||$35 – $120||$75 – $200|
|5x8||$60 – $200||$120 – $320|
|6x9||$75 – $250||$150 – $400|
|8x10||$120 – $400||$240 – $640|
|9x12||$160 – $540||$320 – $870|
|12x18||$320 – $1,000||$650 – $1,700|
|3' Round||$10 – $35||$20 – $55|
|5' Round||$30 – $100||$60 – $160|
|6' Round||$40 – $140||$85 – $225|
|8' Round||$75 – $250||$150 – $400|
|10' Round||$120 – $400||$240 – $630|
|12' Round||$170 – $560||$340 – $900|
*Rug cleaners charge a $50 to $100 minimum and $25 to $50 for rug pickup and delivery. Rug treatments such as stain or moth protection add $1 to $2 per square foot.
Average Cost To Clean A Rug
|National Average Cost||$250|
|Average Range||$105 to $450|
- Rugs require professional cleaning to prevent damage and retain their value.
- Rugs should be cleaned every 1 to 3 years, depending on the foot traffic and if there are pets.
- Professional rug cleaning takes about one week on average.
- Regular cleaning extends the rug's life by decades and helps against dust mites, pet dander, and other allergens and respiratory illnesses.
Professional Rug Cleaning Cost
Professional rug cleaning costs $1 to $8 per square foot, depending on the method (dry cleaning, steam clean, or hand-washing) and type of rug. The proper method depends on if the rug is machine-made, handmade, tufted, or hooked.
|Method||Cost Per Square Foot||Rug Type|
|Steam Clean||$1 – $4||Low-quality synthetic or hardy machine-made rugs|
|Dry Cleaning / Chemical||$1.50 – $5||Natural fiber rugs, fragile rugs, antiques, and tapestries|
|Hand Washing||$3 – $8||Medium to high-quality Oriental and Persian rugs|
Rug Dry Cleaning Cost
Rug dry cleaning costs $1.50 to $5 per square foot on average, depending on the size, material, and if odors and stains need removing. Rug dry cleaning is fast and less labor-intensive than wet cleaning. Dry cleaning is used on natural fiber rugs, fragile rugs, antiques, and tapestries.
Dry cleaning is also used on rugs that bleed, have pile distortion, are threadbare, or where water should be avoided.
Dry cleaners use a low moisture foam or dry cleaning compound that absorbs the dirt, and then is vacuumed out, allowing for faster drying. However, the dry cleaning compound may leave a residue after several cleanings, which requires another process to eliminate.
Steam Clean Rug Cost
Steam cleaning a rug costs $1 to $4 per square foot on average, depending on if the rug is cleaned in-home or at a cleaning facility. Steam cleaning safely removes dirt, stains, and allergens, and is typically used on synthetic fibers or machine-made rugs.
- Steam cleaning, also known as hot water extraction or deep cleaning, is commonly used in professional carpet cleaning.
- Hot water extraction is not recommended for natural fiber rugs, because it can shrink the fibers and backing and cause the rug edges to curl.
- In-home steam cleaners typically charge a $75 to $100 minimum with deals of $25 to $50 per rug if the carpets are cleaned at the same time.
- Steam cleaning may be followed by a dry cleaning method to help remove the stain when spots and spills reappear.
Rug Hand Washing Prices
Professionally hand-washing a rug costs $3 to $8 per square foot, depending on the quality and material (wool, cotton, silk). Hand cleaning is used on handmade rugs or authentic Oriental, Persian, or specialty rugs.
- Handwashing is a delicate cleaning method that prevents damage to the rug’s weave, dyes, and fibers.
- Handwashing requires multiple steps of dusting, vacuuming, applying detergent, brushing, rinsing, and drying.
Rug Cleaning Prices By Material
Rug cleaning prices depend on the material, age, origin, and type—machine-made, handmade, tufted, or hooked. Machine-made synthetic rugs are the cheapest to clean, while handwoven Oriental, Persian, and specialty rugs require professional hand-washing.
|Material||Cost Per Square Foot|
|Synthetic||$2 – $4|
|Cotton||$2 – $5|
|Machine-Woven Wool||$3 – $5|
|Handmade Wool||$4 – $7|
|Oriental / Persian||$3 – $8|
|Silk / Rayon / Navajo||$3 – $8|
|Sheepskin||$4 – $8|
|Shag||$3 – $8|
|Cowhide||$3 – $8|
Wool Rug Cleaning Cost
The average cost to clean a wool rug is $3 to $7 per square foot, depending on the type of wool and if it's machine-made or handwoven. Professional dry cleaning or hand-washing (full saturation) wool rugs is preferred. Wool rugs can last a lifetime with regular cleaning and maintenance.
|Type||Cost Per Square Foot|
|Machine-Made Wool||$2.50 – $5.00|
|Handmade Wool||$4.00 – $7.00|
- Deep cleaning is recommended annually, but stain and spot treatment should be performed as needed.
- Handmade wool rugs should be hand-washed professionally.
- If the rug is not thoroughly dried, the dyes could run, fibers could brown and change in texture, or the rug could grow mold or dry rot.
- Rotate wool rugs every six months for even wear and increased longevity.
Oriental Rug Cleaning Cost
Oriental rug cleaning costs $3 to $8 per square foot on average. Oriental rug cleaning prices depend on the size, age, material, origin, and if it's machine-made, handmade, tufted, or hooked. Genuine Oriental rugs require hand-washing with a mild natural detergent.
- Oriental rugs have unique dyes and knots that require professional cleaning to avoid permanent damage.
- Chemical solutions used in carpet cleaning are not suitable for Oriental rugs and can dissolve the carpet fibers.
- Stains are difficult to clean safely and require multiple spot treatments and drying times.
Persian Rug Cleaning Cost
Persian rug cleaning costs $3 to $8 per square foot, depending on the size, condition, and knot count (quality). All Persian rugs are Oriental rugs that require hand-washing. An authentic Persian rug is made from wool and silk and hand-knotted with asymmetrical Persian knots.
Synthetic Rug Cleaning Prices
Machine-made synthetic rug cleaning costs $2 to $4 per square foot on average. Synthetic rugs are made of nylon, polyester, or polypropylene (olefin) and are cleaned using steam, dry cleaning, or hot water extraction.
Synthetic rugs with a jute foundation may cost more to clean and deodorize than buying a new rug. Heavy stains can usually be removed but often not completely, especially if the rug is made of viscose or rayon.
Silk Rug Cleaning Cost
The average cost to clean a silk rug is $3 to $6 per square foot. A genuine silk rug costs $90 to $360 to clean on average, depending on its size and condition. Silk rugs are more delicate than traditional wool rugs and require professional hand cleaning.
Silk rugs are air dusted, then hand-washed without hot water or chemicals that cause the colors to bleed or fade and shrinkage. Antique silk rugs or tapestries are only air dusted with sonic vibrations then air washed to prevent damage.
Fake silk rugs are damaged easily during cleaning and are considered as uncleanable and disposable by professionals. Artificial silk includes art silk, banana silk, bamboo silk, lyocell, ramie, viscose, and rayon.
Sheepskin Rug Cleaning Prices
Sheepskin rug cleaning costs $5 to $8 per square foot on average. Cleaning a sheepskin rug every 12 to 18 months keeps it supple and soft, and reduces shrinkage. Sheepskin rugs are hand-washed in cold water using a special enzyme-free formula to prevent drying out and cracking the hide.
Sheepskin wool naturally resists soiling, so it's easy to clean. After washing and drying, the sheepskin is brushed to reshape the fibers into their fluffy state.
Rug Cleaning Cost Factors
Area rug cleaning costs depend on the treatments and protectants required, pickup and delivery fees, location, and any repairs needed.
Rug Cleaning Pickup and Delivery
Rug cleaners charge $25 to $50 on average for rug pickup and delivery. Some companies offer this service free to earn your business, while others add $1 per square foot to their standard prices.
A vital part of the cleaning process requires a rug duster to remove all the dirt, which can't be done properly in the home. For best results, rugs should be picked up and cleaned off-site in a professional facility.
Rug Cleaning Treatment Costs
Rug cleaning companies charge $10 to $50 per stain removal, $15 to $30 per odor removal, and $1 to $2.50 per square foot per rug protectants and treatments.
|Stain Removal||$10 – $50|
|Pet Urine / Odor Removal||$15 – $30|
|Stain Protection||$1.00 – $2.50 per square foot|
|Anti-Allergen Treatment||$0.50 – $1.00 per square foot|
|Antimicrobial Disinfectant||$2.00 – $2.50 per square foot|
|UV Protection||$2.00 – $2.50 per square foot|
|Moth Protection / Scotchgard||$1.00 – $1.75 per square foot|
|Fiber / Wool Treatment||$1.00 – $1.50 per square foot|
|Teflon Protection||$0.50 – $1.00 per square foot|
- Professionals use UV lights and moisture meters to locate stains and determine the correct chemical or enzymatic treatment.
- Some deep-set stains may never be removed completely.
- Moth protection may require two treatments to remove active infestations completely.
- Topical odors come out quickly, but getting deeper odors out of a rug requires adding special elements to the cleaning solution.
- Treatments also neutralize the growth of dry rot, fungi, or bacteria, and help reduce allergies.
Rug Cleaning Prices By Location
Rug cleaning prices in New York are about 25% higher than in Dallas due to the higher cost of living. Although, most locations tend to fall in the $50 to $400 range.
|City, State||Average Cost|
|Dallas, TX||$60 – $400|
|New York, NY||$100 – $500|
|Los Angeles, CA||$70 – $450|
|Phoenix, AZ||$50 – $350|
|Philadelphia, PA||$60 – $450|
|Jacksonville, FL||$50 – $350|
|Indianapolis, IN||$55 – $380|
|Seattle, WA||$60 – $400|
Rug Repair Costs
Rug repair costs $2 to $8 per square foot or between $200 and $500 on average. The cost to repair a rug depends on the type of damage, size of rug, and material composition (Oriental, Persian, wool). Most experts require examining the rug before estimating repair costs.
|Rug Reweaving||$35 – $65 / LF|
|Color Correction (Per Spot)||$50 – $80|
|Color Correction (Entire Rug)||$2 – $7 / SF|
|Mold / Water Damage||$150 – $300|
|Rug Serging||$4 – $6 / LF|
|Rug Blocking / Straightening||$1.50 – $2.50 / LF|
|Fringe Repair / Frayed Edges||$7 – $15 / LF|
|Rug Binding / Overcasting||$2 – $9 / LF|
|Rug Shearing / Shaving||$2 – $7 / SF|
|Rug Backing / Padding||$1 – $3 / SF|
|Rug Patching / Repiling||$50 – $150 / HR|
|Rug Shortening||$80 – $120 / LF|
|Rug Restoration||$30 – $150 / LF|
*Most rug restoration companies charge a $50 to $200 minimum.
Common rug repairs include fixing holes, burns, refringing, repairing mold and water damage, moth damage (bare spots), sun damage, or complete restoration.
- Any repairs made to handmade rugs must be done by hand.
- Holes and tears should be addressed right away as they get bigger quickly.
- Fringe damage is the most common problem that can be avoided by not getting it caught in a vacuum cleaner.
- Authentic Oriental rug restoration costs much more and requires sending the rug overseas to restored with the same dyes and materials.
- Rug repair is necessary before cleaning to keep it stabilized during the washing process.
Rug Binding Cost
Rug binding costs $2 to $8 per linear foot on average, depending on the style of binding (its width), cutting and beveling fees, adding a latex adhesive, and the rug's material.
|Style||Cost Per Linear Foot|
|Standard / Machine Narrow||$2 – $3|
|Machine Wide||$4 – $8|
Additional Rug Cleaning Services
|Pad Cleaning||$1 to $2 per square foot|
|Rug Storage||$10 – $40 per month per rug|
|Rug Wrapping||$20 – $40|
|Rug Appraisal||$75 – $500|
Rug Appraisal Cost
A certified rug appraisal costs $75 to $250 on average, with some dealers charging $500 for high-end antique rugs. Rugs should be appraised every 5 to 10 years since they increase in value as they age. Certified appraisals are used by the IRS, US court system, insurance companies, and estate purposes.
|Verbal / Online Estimation||$15 – $100|
|Certified Written Appraisal||$75 – $500|
Rug Cleaning Costs By Brand
In-home rug cleaning prices are $100 to $350 on average, with a $75 to $100 minimum. Some companies charge $25 to $50 per rug if the carpets are cleaned at the same time.
|Stanley Steemer||$100 – $250||Steam / hot water extraction. In-home or offsite.|
|ChemDry||$65 – $200||Steam / hot water extraction|
|Zeroez||$75 – $350||In-home cleaning with oxidized water|
|Oxi Fresh||$100 – $400||In-home oxygenated water cleaning|
|Dalworth||$150 – $450||Professional factory cleaning for high-end rugs|
Stanley Steemer Rug Cleaning Prices
Stanley Steemer rug cleaning costs $1.00 to $2.50 per square foot with a $100 to $150 minimum. Adding protection treatment or deodorizing costs $25 to $75 each. Stanley Steemer uses a proprietary hot water extraction method to clean area rugs.
Frequently Asked Questions
When Should I Get My Area Rug Professionally Cleaned?
You should clean your area rug when:
- The rug smells bad up close.
- Your palm becomes dirty after rubbing the rug for a few seconds.
- The rug forms dust clouds when you shake a corner.
- Dirt is seen deep in the base and pile when it's flipped over.
- The rug looks dull.
Is Professional Rug Cleaning Worth It?
Professionally cleaning rugs extends their lifespan, helps them hold their value, and keeps them looking like new. Cleaning adds protectant layers to prevent odors, stains, moths, and pet urine damage. However, unnecessary washing can shorten the lifespan of a rug.
What Is the Best Way To Clean An Area Rug?
There are three options for cleaning an area rug. Cheap rugs are cleaned with steam cleaning (hot water extraction), delicate rugs use dry cleaning or chemical treatments, and machine-made wool or handwoven rugs require hand-washing.
Can You Take A Rug To The Dry Cleaners?
Taking a rug to the dry cleaners does not wash or rinse the rug properly. Rug dry cleaning only works if the rug is lightly soiled or marked. The dry chemicals are made for apparel and may end up attracting even more dirt. A professional carpet cleaner does a better job.
How To Clean A Large Rubber-Backed Rug?
A rubber-backed rug can be cleaned in a laundromat’s large machine in cold water with mild detergent and washed separately. Avoid the dryer as the rubber can crumble, and don’t wash if the rubber is already crumbling as the debris can block up the pump.
How Long Does It Take A Rug To Dry?
A large area rug takes 24 to 48 hours to dry outside and up to a week to dry fully in a dehumidified room. A small rug takes 3 to 5 hours to dry. Natural fibers typically take longer to dry than synthetic fibers. Make sure the rug is completely dry to avoid mold and mildew growth.
How Much Are Average Carpet Cleaning Prices?
Carpet cleaning prices range from $25 to $70 per room or between $0.20 and $0.50 per square foot. An average 3-bedroom home costs $150 and $250 to clean.
DIY Area Rug Cleaning
Renting a DIY rug washing machine costs $30 to $50 per day. These machines work well on synthetic fibers but can damage high-end or handwoven materials. Taking the rug to the dry cleaners is a cheap option, but it does not rinse or wash the dust and dirt out.
|Cost||$30 to $50 per day rug cleaning machine rental||$50 to $400, depending on the material and square footage|
|Stain Removal & Treatments||$5 to $25 for stain cleaning solutions. No additional treatments are available. Water does not get hot enough to clean properly.||$10 to $50 per stain. Anti-odor, stain, moth, and antimicrobial disinfectant treatments available.|
|Repairs||None, which leads to more costly repairs in the future||Rugs are evaluated and repairs often offered|
|Potential Damage||Risk permanent damage by using the wrong machine, chemicals, overbrushing, or not rinsing properly. Vacuum not strong enough to extract the majority of the water, which may lead to mold and mildew.||Uses the right treatment, offers a warranty, and may have insurance.|
|Rug Material & Quality||Cheap synthetic fibers||All other rugs, especially wool, Oriental, Persian, silk, or sheepskin|
|Pickup & Delivery Fees||None||Free or $25 to $50 round trip|
Rug Doctor Rental Cost
The average cost to rent a Rug Doctor is $29.99 to $34.99 for 24-hours or $39.99 to $44.99 for a 48-hour rental, depending on the model. Avoid using Rug Doctor machines or products on Persian, Oriental, silk hand-loomed, braided, or non-colorfast fabrics.
|Model||24 – 48 Hour Rental|
|X3 Carpet Cleaner||$29.99 – $34.99|
|Pro Deep Cleaner||$39.99 – $44.99|
How To Clean An Area Rug
For DIY, hand-washing is the best way to clean a large area rug. A soapy solution and a garden hose can be used on the driveway, before lifting the rug onto a taut rope to dry it out.
- Shake out loose dirt and dust, then vacuum the rug on both sides.
- Saturate both sides of the rug with water
- Rub in a delicate wash detergent or water solution on both sides with your hands or a sponge and let it sit for several minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse the rug with a hose on both sides until the suds have disappeared.
- Use a squeegee to remove any excess water.
- Allow both sides of the rug to dry out entirely in the sun, or by hanging over a clothesline or railing and flipping occasionally.
- Once completely dry, vacuum both sides of the rug.
- Clean the rug pad and floor underneath, then put the clean rug back into place.
Hiring A Professional Rug Cleaning Service
Hiring a professional rug cleaner ensures the rug undergoes the right treatment and has a warranty to protect against damage. Be sure to:
- Get at least three estimates to compare prices and service.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Read reviews and check out their previous work on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Look for a guarantee or warranty on cleaning work
- Make sure the company has insurance, especially when cleaning high-end rugs.
- Choose a company that's been in business for at least 5 years.
- Ask if the rug is immersed in the same water as other rugs. This can cause cross contamination.
- Ask if the rug is cleaned at the company’s facility or subcontracted out.
- Ask if the rug is cleaned with eco-friendly products such as Woolsafe.
- As a bonus, look for companies certified with the Association of Rug Care Specialists (ARCS), Master Rug Cleaner, or WoolSafe.
How To Save Money On Rug Cleaning
- Look for cheap or free pick up and delivery, or deliver and pick up the rug yourself.
- Set up a yearly or twice-yearly rug cleaning service for a discounted price.
- Combine cleaning of synthetic rugs with a full-house carpet or upholstery cleaning.
- Ask about coupons, seasonal rates, free delivery, and special discounts.
- Using an inexpensive rug pad adds softness, extends the durability, and prevents wrinkles and wear of the rug.
- Vacuum regularly and clean up spills instantly to prevent stains.
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted rug cleaning services:
Area Rug Cleaning Cost: How Much? (2020).
McFarland's Rug Carpet Services Price List. (2020).
Mother Nature's Cleaning Price Estimate. (2020).
Area Rugs Cleaning Price List. (2016).
Rug Terminology. (2020).
Hot Water Extraction vs. Steam Clean. (2019).
How much does it cost to clean my area or oriental rug? (2020).
Fiber ProTector of Atlanta Pricing List. (n.d.). PDF File.
Difference Between Steam Cleaning and Hot Water Extraction. (n.d.).
Stanley Steemer Cleaning Quote. (n.d.).
Oriental & Area Rug Cleaning & Repair. (2020).
Dalworth Rug Cleaning FAQs. (n.d.).
Expert Rug Repair. (n.d.).
Persian & Oriental Rug Repair in New York, New Jersey, Miami & Beyond. (2015).
Waterfall Cleaners - Pricing. (n.d.).
Carpet Binding & Finishing. (n.d.).
Oriental & Area Rug Preservation Cleaning Specialists - Personal Communication. (May 13, 2020).
Professional Rug Cleaning: Cost Breakdown. (2019).
Asian Trade - Rug Cleaning Cost Estimator. (n.d.).
Aloha Dry Cleaners Price List. (n.d.).
Max I. Walker Cleans Area Rugs. (n.d.).
Barrington Elegance Cleaners - Price List For Rugs. (2011). PDF File.
Area Rug Cleaning Services. (n.d.).
Rug Services & Cleaning. (2018).
Wet vs Dry Cleaning. (n.d.).
Oxi Fresh of Columbia Carpet Cleaning. (n.d.).
4 Carpet Cleaning - Price List. (n.d.). PDF File.
How Much Does It Cost To Bind Or Serge My Carpet?. (n.d.).
Rent Carpet Cleaning Machine | Rug Doctor. (2020).
Wet vs Dry Cleaning. (2018).
Dalworth Rug Cleaning. (n.d.).
How To: Clean an Area Rug. (2020).
Rug Care & Maintenance. (n2019).
Jeeves - Price List. (n.d.).
Tampa Rug Cleaners Pricing. (n.d.).
20+ Rug Cleaning Services in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted rug cleaners:
Get free estimates