How much do recycled asphalt millings cost?
$10 – $20 Per ton (materials)
$2 – $5 Per square foot installed
$1,200 – $3,600 2-car driveway installed
$2 – $5 Per square foot installed
$1,200 – $3,600 2-car driveway installed
Recycled asphalt millings cost $10 to $20 per ton or $12 to $32 per yard, without installation. A 2-car asphalt millings driveway costs $1,200 to $3,600 installed or $2 to $5 per square foot on average. Crushed asphalt is available to buy from landscaping and paving companies.
Get free estimates from asphalt pavers near you or view our cost guide below.
Recycled asphalt cost
Recycled asphalt millings cost $12 to $32 per yard or $10 to $20 per ton. Asphalt millings for a 2-car driveway costs $60 to $240 without installation. A recycled asphalt driveway costs $2 to $5 per square foot or $1,200 to $3,600 installed. Crushed asphalt prices depend on quality.
|Per ton||$10 – $20|
|Per cubic yard||$12 – $32|
|Per square foot*||$0.15 – $0.40|
*Based on a 4-inch depth. All prices not including installation.
|Size and use||Material prices||Total installed cost|
|10x20 Driveway (1-car)||$30 – $80||$400 – $1,000|
|20x20 Driveway (2-car)||$60 – $160||$800 – $2,000|
|16x38 Driveway (2-car)||$90 – $240||$1,200 – $3,000|
|30x30 Driveway (3-car)||$130 – $360||$1,800 – $4,500|
|12x12 Patio||$20 – $60||$300 – $750|
|4x50 Walkway||$30 – $80||$400 – $1,000|
|16x16 Playground||$40 – $100||$500 – $1,300|
|10x100 Road||$150 – $400||$2,000 – $5,000|
|78x36 Tennis court||$400 – $1,100||$5,500 – $15,000|
|94x50 Basketball court||$700 – $1,800||$9,500 – $25,000|
|10-Car parking lot||$500 – $1,500||$6,000 – $15,000|
- Crushed asphalt is up to 5 times cheaper than virgin asphalt and is eco-friendly.
- Recycled asphalt pavement produces less dust, dirt, and mud than gravel.
- Reclamied asphalt hardens over time, has low maintenance, is less susceptible to the weather elements, and melts ice and snow faster than gravel.
Asphalt millings calculator
Enter the length and width of your driveway or area in feet in the calculator below to estimate the cost of reclaimed asphalt millings.
Average asphalt millings cost
Recycled asphalt millings (RAM) prices depend on the screening quality of the grindings, location, and quantity purchased. Prices increase for finely ground-up asphalt that forms a smoother pavement surface.
|National Average Cost||$120|
|Average Range||$60 to $240|
*Material prices only for a 2-car driveway.
Recycled asphalt cost per ton
Recycled asphalt millings cost $10 to $20 per ton, depending on the asphalt recycling quality and screening grade. One ton of asphalt millings covers 60 square feet at 4 inches thick.
Asphalt millings prices per yard
Crushed asphalt millings cost $12 to $32 per yard. Crushed asphalt prices depend on the screening quality and rock size. One cubic yard of asphalt millings covers 80 square feet at 4" thick. One yard of asphalt millings weighs 1.2 to 1.6 tons.
Crushed asphalt delivery cost
Crushed asphalt delivery costs $30 to $100 per truckload (8 to 20 tons). Delivery increases the cost per ton and yard by 50%, depending on the quantity and distance. Some companies offer free delivery with a minimum purchase. Small amounts of millings are typically not eligible for delivery.
Recycled asphalt driveway cost per square foot
A recycled asphalt driveway costs $2 to $5 per square foot installed or from $0.15 to $0.40 per square foot for materials only. A ton of asphalt millings covers 60 square feet on average, while a cubic yard covers 80 square feet at 4" deep.
|Size||Tons||Materials only||Total installed cost|
|10x20 Driveway (1-car)||3 – 4||$30 – $80||$400 – $1,000|
|20x20 Driveway (2-car)||6 – 8||$60 – $160||$800 – $2,000|
|16x38 Driveway (2-car)||9 – 12||$90 – $240||$1,200 – $3,000|
|30x30 Driveway (3-car)||13 – 18||$130 – $360||$1,800 – $4,500|
Other driveway options to compare:
- Gravel driveways cost $1 to $3 per square foot installed but are prone to stirring up dust, getting ruts, and difficult to plow.
- Crushed concrete costs the same as crushed asphalt and is long-lasting.
- Pouring a concrete driveway costs $4 to $8 per square foot and lasts almost twice as long as asphalt.
- Installing a paver driveway costs $10 to $30 per square foot, lasts up to 75 years, and is available in various colors, shapes, patterns, and finishes.
How many tons of asphalt millings do I need for a driveway?
Asphalt millings for a 2-car (400 to 600 SF) driveway cost $60 to $240 for 6 to 8 tons of millings. A 1-car (200 SF) driveway costs $30 to $80 for 3 to 4 tons of recycled asphalt. Residential driveways require a 4-inch minimum layer of recycled asphalt.
Asphalt millings prices for a residential blacktop
Reclaimed asphalt pavement (RAP) is suitable for any residential or commercial application. Recyclers ground-up asphalt for driveways, patios, walkways, playgrounds, sports courts, roads, and parking lots.
|Type (feet)||Tons||Material prices||Total installed cost|
|12x12 Patio||2 – 3||$20 – $60||$300 – $750|
|4x50 Walkway||3 – 4||$30 – $80||$400 – $1,000|
|16x16 Playground||4 – 5||$40 – $100||$500 – $1,300|
|10x100 Road||15 – 20||$150 – $400||$2,000 – $5,000|
|78x36 Tennis court||40 – 55||$400 – $1,100||$5,500 – $15,000|
|94x50 Basketball court||70 – 90||$700 – $1,800||$9,500 – $25,000|
How much recycled asphalt do I need for a basketball or tennis court?
Recycled asphalt for a 94x50-foot basketball court costs $700 to $1,800 and requires 70 to 90 tons of asphalt millings. A 78x36-foot tennis court requires 40 to 55 tons of recycled asphalt that costs $400 to $1,100 on average.
What are asphalt millings?
Asphalt millings are old recycled asphalt pieces crushed into a smaller gravel-size rock. Contractors compact and seal the crushed asphalt to create driveways, roads, parking spots, sidewalks, or blacktops. Asphalt-recycling facilities heat reclaimed millings to remove impurities and excess moisture.
Depending on the quality and size, recycled asphalt pavement includes:
- Double-crushed paving rocks (best for driveways)
- Landscaping gravel alternatives
- Cement supplements
- Hot-mix or cold-mix liquid asphalt additives
- Construction fill material
- Larger road sub-base rocks
Asphalt millings vs. new asphalt
Asphalt millings cost $10 to $20 per ton, while hot-mix liquid (HMA) asphalt prices are $40 to $80 per ton. Recycled asphalt is eco-friendly and easier to install. New asphalt is heavier, contains more oil, and is harder to install, but is more durable and lasts longer. Both require compacting and sealcoating.
Another option is resurfacing the top layer. Asphalt resurfacing costs $1 to $3 per square foot on average.
Are asphalt millings good for a driveway?
Sealed asphalt millings are good for building durable driveways and roads. Even the U.S. Department of Transportation uses recycled asphalt on more than half of its highways. With a solid road base, proper compaction, and sealants, asphalt millings form low-maintenance and cost-effective pavement.
Can my old asphalt be recycled?
Existing asphalt is recycled at demolition-recycling facilities, asphalt plants, stone-crushing companies, or solid-waste management centers. Highway construction companies recycle 80% to 95% of asphalt demolitions to build new roads. When repaving, contractors typically recycle old asphalt for free.
For more nearby asphalt recycling options, check:
- “Asphalt reclaiming” companies in the Yellow Pages
- The Blue Book Building and Construction Network
- The Construction and Demolition Recycling Association
- Recycle Nation’s listings of broken asphalt and aggregate processing centers
How long does recycled asphalt take to harden?
After steamroller compaction and sealing, the recycled asphalt millings take 24 to 48 hours to harden. First, the steamroller will compress and heat the millings that bind together to create a hardened level surface. Then pavers spread a sealant on top to stabilize the blacktop.
Can you seal asphalt millings?
Asphalt millings can and should be sealed to make pavement last longer. Asphalt sealing costs $0.20 to $0.70 per square foot, depending on the cleaning and prep work required. Hire a professional paver to choose the most-suitable asphalt millings sealer and application method.
How much does recycled asphalt weigh?
Recycled asphalt weighs 90 to 120 pounds per cubic foot or between 1.2 and 1.6 tons per cubic yard, depending on the quality and mix composition. Asphalt millings typically weigh less than new hot-mix asphalt.
Are asphalt millings bad for the environment?
Recycling asphalt millings reduces landfill waste, lowers construction-related greenhouse gas emissions, and prevents environmental damage from mining new asphalt materials.
Asphalt millings themselves are not toxic. However, coal-tar binders and sealants on any paved road are carcinogenic. Companies now sell eco-friendly sealants. Sealing recycled-asphalt driveways prevent particles of old sealant and binder materials from leaching into groundwater.
How much does it cost to mill an asphalt parking lot?
The average cost to mill an asphalt parking lot is $0.25 to $0.75 per square foot. Prices depend on the project's size, obstructions and structures, and disposal or recycling fees ($0 to $20 per ton). A milling machine removes the top 1" to 3" layer of asphalt to allow for new paving.
Where to buy recycled asphalt millings?
Recycled asphalt millings are available for sale through landscaping companies, paving companies, construction-material recycling centers, and asphalt-production plants. Buying crushed or recycled asphalt typically includes standard delivery fees that vary by location.
Hiring a recycled asphalt company
Only professional paving contractors can construct a long-lasting driveway. Paving is not a DIY-friendly project due to the leveling work required and possible drainage issues if done improperly.
- Compare at least three estimates from multiple contractors.
- Select companies with certification from the state’s Department of Transportation asphalt training programs, the National Center for Asphalt Technology (NCAT), or similar road-construction education.
- Review feedback from their past customers on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select contractors who have at least a few years of experience.
- Request copies of a written contract, detailed estimate, and warranty before construction.
- Never pay in full before the work begins. Instead, negotiate a payment schedule upon reaching project milestones.
Questions to ask
- How many driveways have you paved with asphalt millings?
- Does the estimate include all the materials and labor fees? If there are additional fees, what can I expect?
- Does the estimate include hauling my old asphalt to a nearby recycling plant?
- Does your company have a business license, insurance, and bond guarantee?
- Is any prep work necessary to allow space for paving equipment and large trucks?
- How long will the paving process take?
- Can I see photos of your past work or talk to your previous clients?
- How do you manage project delays due to things like unfavorable weather?
- What permits do I need, and will you obtain them?
- What does your warranty policy include?
- What is your payment schedule?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted asphalt pavers:
- Atcheson, Dan. “2019 National Earthwork & Heavy Equipment Estimator.” 2019. PDF file.
Recycled asphalt cost. (2020).
Recycled asphalt prices, uses & delivery. (2020).
NJ Parking Lot Asphalt Milling. (n.d.).
Recycled asphalt. (2019).
Price List. (2020).
Doug Clack Trucking Co. Price List. (2019).
Rolfe Corporation Product & Price List. (2019).
Materials & Pricing. (2020).
Recycled material. (2020).
Recycled material price sheet for 2020. (2020).
Current prices. (n.d.).
Crushed Stone and Asphalt Concrete Prices. (2020).
Asphalt millings. (n.d.).
Top grade aggregates. (2020).
Our services. (n.d.).
Portland sand & gravel co. PDF file. (n.d.).
Driveway materials. (2020).
Material price list. (n.d.).
20+ Asphalt Paving Companies in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted Asphalt Companies:
Get free estimates