Near You 20+ Sod Installation Companies near you
Let us know about your needs so we can bring you the right pros.
Receive quotes from multiple pros that meet your exact needs.
Compare quotes, message or call pros, and hire only when ready.
Best Sod Installation Companies near you
Frequently asked questions
How much does sod installation cost near me?
Sod prices are $0.30 to $0.80 per square foot or $130 to $360 per pallet (450 SF), without installation. Sod installation costs $0.90 to $1.80 per square foot for materials and labor, depending on the grass type and job size. Sodding an average 0.2 acre lawn costs $4,500 to $10,000.
When is the best time to lay sod?
Sod can be laid anytime during the growing season. The best times to lay sod are in early and mid-fall or spring when temperatures are cooler, but grass continues to grow. Some types of sod grass can also be installed in the winter, even though it's dormant. Avoid laying sod in summer. Summer sod installation requires extra water that often leads to disease and fungus.
Can you lay sod over existing grass?
Laying sod over existing grass does not work and may kill the sod. All sod must be laid over soil to root correctly. Removing the existing grass and preparing the lawn with soil amendments and rototilling is required to promote a healthy root system.
Do I need to rototill before laying sod?
Rototilling before laying sod works the existing growth into the dirt, loosens the soil, and uncovers buried rocks to give the roots room to grow. Alternative soil preparation methods include adding topsoil for the roots and to improve the yard's grade or laying the sod on the existing bare ground.
Consult with a landscaping sod company to discuss the best preparation method for your lawn.
What is sod installation?
The sod installation process includes:
- On-site evaluation, measuring, and free estimate
- Project planning, equipment rentals, and sod delivery
- Preparing the soil by removing existing growth and tilling
- Marking the location of each sprinkler head
- Application of soil amendments or top dressing and leveling the yard
- Installing the new sod by dampening the soil, raking, and laying the pieces.
- Filling in the gaps from previously cut sod scraps
- Using a lawn roller to smooth out the sod and remove air pockets
- Testing the sprinkler system
- Providing watering and maintenance directions
How do I find the best sod installation companies?
Start by searching our list of sod companies near you. After researching and contacting potential candidates:
- Compare at least three estimates from professional landscapers.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Select sod companies that are licensed, bonded, and experienced.
- Verify their insurance, worker’s compensation, and bond guarantees.
- Look at their reviews on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Ask about their warranties and guarantees.
- Ask for a written contract, warranty, and detailed estimate.
- Avoid making large payments upfront. Come up with a payment schedule for work completed.
After asking questions and verifying their credentials, hire the most affordable and best landscaping sod services near you.
What questions to ask sod companies before hiring?
When looking for the best sod installer, ask the following questions:
- How long have you been a landscaping contractor?
- Which types of sod are you experienced in laying?
- What do your sod services include?
- Are you and your employees licensed, insured, and bonded?
- Are the workers your employees or subcontractors?
- What license(s), training, and affiliations do you have?
- Do you charge by the square foot, hour, or project?
- How many similar projects have you completed?
- Can you provide me with references or customer referrals?
- What can you start and finish the sod work?
- Can you provide me a written estimate with a breakdown of all costs?
- What happens if you go over budget or there are changes to material price?
- Do you offer guarantees?
- What is the structure of the payment agreements?
- What payment methods do you accept?
- What do I need to provide to get started?