Window replacement costs $400 to $1,500 per window installed, depending on the size, type, material, and brand. The window unit makes up 65% to 75% of the total cost, while labor makes up the other 25% to 35%.
Simple, single-hung windows and small picture windows cost the least to install, while large bay and bow windows cost the most.
Vinyl and aluminum are the least expensive and most common window materials. Wood window frames provide better insulation and an upscale look but cost more and are harder to maintain. Clad window frames are the most expensive option but last longer because they're made with vinyl-encased wood.
New windows are worth the investment if your home's existing windows are old, damaged, or if the windows are single-pane. Most new construction codes call for double-pane windows at a minimum due to the added energy efficiency. Installing new double-pane or triple-pane windows will reduce your energy costs and typically provides a 75% to 85% return on investment (ROI).
Installing windows takes 30 to 60 minutes per window, depending on the size, type, and accessibility. Large or ornate windows take longer to install than small, simple windows. Installers can work faster on first-story windows than they can on second-story ones.
Replacing a large bay window or bow window can take a full day, depending on how many panels it has.
Windows last 15 to 30 years on average, depending on the material and brand. Window warranties typically last 5 to 20 years, although some are covered for as long as you own your home. Consider replacing windows if you notice any of these signs:
Professional window fitting companies, glaziers, or handymen install windows. Labor to install windows costs $100 to $1,000 per window on average, depending on if you hire a professional window service company or a handyman. Most companies and handymen charge lower rates per window when replacing all the windows in your home at the same time.
Popular companies that offer window installation and replacement services include Andersen, Pella, Marvin, Window World, Champion, Home Depot, and Lowe's.
Tipping window installers and other contractors is not required or expected. However, consider tipping $20 to $30 per person if you feel the installers went above and beyond.
Search our list of window installation contractors, then:
After following the previous steps, hire the best window company in your area.
When hiring window installation companies near you, ask the following questions:
Search, get cost estimates, contact pros, and book—all for free.
View profiles, read reviews, check qualifications, and see prices before hiring.
Ask questions, confirm their availability, and hire the right pro when you're ready.