How Much Does A New Garage Door Cost?
$550 – $1,300 Single Garage Door Installed
$800 – $1,800 Double Garage Door Installed
$800 – $1,800 Double Garage Door Installed
Garage door replacement costs $550 to $1,800 on average. A new garage door and opener costs $800 to $2,600 installed. A single garage door costs $550 to $1,300 and a 2-car garage door costs $800 to $1,800 to replace. A new garage door costs $400 to $1,100 and labor costs $150 to $700.
Get free estimates from garage door installers near you or view our cost guide below.
Garage Door Installation Cost
Garage door installation costs $550 to $1,800 on average. A standard, single garage door costs $550 to $1,300 to replace. A 2-car, double garage door costs $800 to $1,800 installed. New garage door prices are $400 to $1,100, and the labor cost to install a garage door is $150 to $700.
|Size||Average Cost Installed|
|Single Garage Door||$550 – $1,300|
|Double Garage Door||$800 – $1,800|
|3-Car Garage Door||$1,300 – $2,800|
|New Garage Door Opener||+ $250 – $600|
Installation typically includes removing the old door, installing the new door and tracks, connecting to the existing opener, and a 1-year labor warranty.
- Garage doors last 15 to 30 years, offers a 95% return on investment, and boost the home’s curb appeal.
- Installing a garage door takes two professionals 3 to 6 hours.
- Garage replacement is not a safe DIY project and voids warranties.
Average Cost To Replace Garage Door
|National Average Cost||$1,000|
|Average Range||$550 to $1,800|
*Based on 382 home improvement project costs reported by HomeGuide members.
Garage Door Replacement Cost
Replacing a garage door costs $550 to $1,800 on average. Garage replacement costs depend on the door type and features, labor cost to install, and if it includes a new opener. Most installers charge a flat fee that includes the door, tracks, hardware, and labor.
|Door, Tracks, & Hardware||$400 – $1,100|
|Installation Labor||$150 – $700|
|Old Door Removal (often included)||$50 – $250|
|New Opener (optional)||$250 – $600|
|Resizing the Opening (optional)||$200 – $1,000+|
|Average Cost To Replace||$550 – $1,800|
Cost Factors To Replace Garage Door
Additional cost considerations when replacing a garage door include:
- Door Type – New doors vary in price depending on the material, style, customizations, size, weight, and hardware.
- Door Features – Optional features include windows, screens, walk-through doors, insulation, or being hurricane-rated, which increases the price.
- Labor – Local construction costs, transportation fees, reconnecting the old opener, adding weather stripping, and replacing heavy or over-sized doors affect the price.
- New Opener – Installing a new opener costs more and may require adding an electrical outlet.
- Resizing The Opening – Creating custom door sizes or repairing a damaged door opening may be necessary.
Garage Door Replacement vs. Fixing Cost Comparison
Garage door repairs cost $85 to $350 to fix on average, while a full replacement costs $550 to $1,800. Cracked or aged doors benefit more from replacing. Common repairs include replacing springs, cables, tracks, fixing the opener, or a tune-up.
- Garage door spring replacement costs $120 to $350.
- Garage door opener repairs cost $75 to $300.
Cost To Remove Garage Door
Garage door removal costs $50 to $250 on average, depending on the door size, type, and material. Garage door replacement quotes typically include removal and disposal in the price. Some installers charge additional fees for hauling away heavy and over-sized doors.
Manual vs. Automatic Garage Door Cost
A manual roller garage door costs $450 to $1,400 installed. An automatic garage door costs $800 to $2,600 for the door, opener, and installation. Automatic garage doors have additional safety features and are convenient, but are more expensive to buy, operate, and repair.
|Type||Average Cost Installed|
|Manual||$450 – $1,400|
|Automatic||$800 – $2,600|
Garage Door Opener
Garage door opener installation costs $250 to $600 on average, depending on the brand, motor horsepower, and door-system type. Openers typically include an external keypad and are programmable to existing remotes.
New installations may require a new electrical outlet and wiring. Installing an electrical outlet costs $145 to $200. Electricians charge $40 to $100 per hour when adding a new circuit, breaker panel, or cutting into walls.
New Garage Door Cost and Installation
New garage doors cost $250 to $1,100 on average without installation or an opener. Prices depend on the size, material, type, customization level, and the total number of doors. Installation adds $150 to $700 regardless of the type of garage door.
Custom Garage Door Cost
Custom garage doors cost $800 to $10,000, depending on the material, style, and features. Customization options include non-standard door sizes, various design styles, upgraded hardware, specialty colors, insulation and soundproofing, windows, and designer finishes.
|Stock||$250 – $800||
|Partially Custom||$800 – $2,500||
|Completely Custom||$2,500 – $10,000||
*Not including labor cost to install.
Labor Cost To Install Garage Door
The average labor cost to install a garage door is $150 to $500 for a single door and $300 to $700 for a double-wide garage door. Labor typically comes with a 1-year warranty and includes removing the old door, installing new doors and tracks, reconnecting the opener, and sealing.
Installing a new garage door opener adds $150 to $350 in labor alone.
|Installer||Average Labor Cost|
|Local Contractor||$150 – $700|
|Home Depot||$250 – $375|
|Lowe’s||$200 – $600|
*Not including any materials. Labor costs depend on the door’s size, type, and weight.
Home Depot Garage Door Installation Cost
Home Depot garage door installation costs $250 to $375 on average and has a 1-year labor warranty. Installation includes removing the old door, installing the new door, reconnecting the opener, and sealing the perimeter. Installing a garage door opener costs $97 to $127 more.
Lowe’s Garage Door Installation Cost
Lowe’s garage door installation costs $200 to $600, depending on the door type and size. Lowe’s works with professionally insured, licensed, and experienced independent installers. Installations come with a 1-year labor warranty. Lowe’s also offers financing options.
Average Cost Of Garage Door By Material
Garage door prices range from $300 to $3,500 for standard models, depending on the material. Aluminum and steel garage doors are the cheapest. Installation labor adds $150 to $600 regardless of the material type.
|Type||Average Cost Installed|
|Aluminum||$400 – $2,600|
|Wood||$900 – $5,000|
|Faux Wood / Composite||$450 – $4,000|
|Vinyl||$650 – $2,300|
|Steel||$650 – $3,300|
|Fiberglass||$600 – $3,000|
|Glass||$1,000 – $5,000|
|Screen Doors||$500 – $2,000|
*Average total cost for materials and labor. Not all garage door materials work in every climate.
New Garage Door Cost By Style
There are various garage door styles to choose from, such as traditional, carriage house, contemporary, and modern.
|Style||Average Cost Installed||Description|
|Standard Sectional / Panel||$400 – $2,000||
|Standard Door + Windows||$700 – $2,600||
|Single Tilt-Up (Swing-Out / Sliding)||$450 – $1,400||
|Single Roll-Up||$650 – $2,000||
|Double Roll-Up||$1,200 – $2,600||
|Glass Roll-Up||$1,000 – $5,000||
|Walk-Through||$1,300 – $4,500||
|Sliding||$550 – $3,600||
|Carriage||$850 – $4,500||
|French||$1,500 – $5,000||
*Average total cost for materials and labor.
Garage Door Insulation Cost
Garage door insulation kits cost $40 to $200 to retrofit existing doors DIY. Insulation kits are easy-to-install but are less energy-efficient and have a lower R-value than new pre-insulated garage doors. Insulation is usually polystyrene but also comes in polyurethane, fiberglass, and reflective kits.
Garage doors with built-in insulation cost $150 to $800+ more than non-insulated models or $400 to $4,000. Insulated garage doors lower energy bills and keep the garage warmer, cooler, and quieter.
1-Car vs. 2-Car Garage Door Cost
Garage doors range between $400 to $4,600 installed, depending on if it's a one-car or two-car garage. A 3-car garage door system typically consists of one single and one double door, or three single doors.
|Number of Cars||Cost Range|
|1-Car||$400 – $3,500|
|2-Car||$650 – $4,600|
Single Garage Door Cost
A single garage door costs $400 to $3,500 installed. One-car garage doors cost $250 to $3,000 for materials and $150 to $500 for installation. A single overhead garage door is 8 to 10 feet wide by 7 to 8 feet tall.
Double Garage Door Cost
Double car garage doors cost $650 to $4,600 installed. New two-car garage doors prices are $450 to $4,000 for materials and $200 to $600 for installation. Most double-wide garage doors are 12 to 16 feet wide by 7 or 8 feet tall.
Interior Overhead and Roll Up Doors for Living Spaces
Interior glass garage doors in a living room, bedroom, or kitchen cost $1,500 to $15,000 installed, depending on the size, glass type, and design. Overhead roll-up doors inside the home let in more light and serve as a room divider, exterior window wall, or sliding-glass door replacement.
- Glass garage doors with aluminum frames cost $700 to $4,000+.
- Hiring a structural engineer costs $300 to $1,000.
- Hiring an architect costs $100 to $250 hourly or 5% to 20% of the total cost with a $500 minimum.
- Getting a building permit costs $30 to $250.
- Moving electrical wiring costs $40 to $100 hourly, plus $3 to $10 per linear foot for new cables.
- Knocking down a wall costs $500 to $10,000.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does It Take To Install A Garage Door?
Installing a garage door takes 3 to 6 hours to replace a door of the same type and size. The total installation time depends on the door size, compatibility, required modifications, and the existing wiring and brackets condition.
How Long Do Garage Doors Last?
Garage doors last 15 to 30 years on average, depending on the daily usage, door quality, climate, and maintenance. Garage door openers last 10 to 15 years. Garage door springs last 7 to 14 years or 10,000 to 15,000 cycles, depending on the daily opening frequency.
|Overall Garage Door||15 – 30|
|Garage Door Openers||10 – 15|
|Garage Door Springs||7 – 14|
Common Garage Door Warranties
- A 1-year labor warranty.
- Overall 10-year to limited lifetime warranties on most insulated garage doors.
- Garage door windows have 10-year maximum warranties.
- Delamination or section-damage coverage is typically up to 5 years.
- Garage door springs have 1 to 3 years of warranty coverage.
Can You Install A New Garage Door On Old Tracks?
Most new garage doors cannot be installed on old tracks. Reusing old garage door tracks is dangerous, unbalances or breaks the springs, jams or derails doors, and voids the warranty. New garage doors typically come with compatible tracks. Some doors can be adjusted for different tracks.
Can You Buy Replacement Panels For A Garage Door?
Garage door repair companies, manufacturers, and distributors supply panel replacements. Hiring a pro costs $150 to $600 on average to replace one garage door panel. Retailers don’t sell replacements panels directly to homeowners since it's not a DIY project.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Garage Doors?
Homeowners insurance typically covers garage door damage caused by fire, theft, plumbing leaks, vandalism, hit-and-run drivers, storms, and homeowner or family accidents. Auto insurance covers car-impact damages.
Basic homeowners insurance often does not cover:
- Detached garage damages
- Extreme natural disasters like earthquake, flood, or hurricane damage
- Ordinary garage door wear and tear
- Intentional damages caused by the residents
Do You Tip Garage Door Installers?
Most homeowners tip garage door installers $10 to $20 per person. However, garage door installers don’t expect tips. Tipping is a nice gesture when installers do a great job and clean up. Other tips include drinks and snacks, a chair for breaks, restroom access, and leaving a good review.
Can I Install A Garage Door Myself?
Installing a garage door yourself takes 8 to 12 hours, saves $150 to $600 in labor, and requires help to remove the old door and hang the new one. However, garage doors are heavy, dangerous, and difficult to install yourself correctly. Always hire a professional for safety.
Getting Garage Door Estimates
Always gets estimates from qualified professionals. Trained contractors pull permits, select the proper door type, and have the right tools for safe installations. Contractors ensure the tracks are parallel, springs are wound correctly, and the opener functions. Plus, installers offer a labor warranty.
When getting garage door estimates, be sure to:
- Get at least three quotes to compare.
- Request references for past work.
- Ask for recommendations from family, friends, and neighbors.
- Read reviews on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Select a company that has been in business for at least five years.
- Ask if they have bonded installers and insurance.
- Check state laws to see licensing requirements. In states where garage door installations are an unlicensed trade, ask more about their experience.
- Ask about their warranty.
- Ask if permits or door reinforcements are necessary to meet local building codes.
Garage Door Replacement Quotes
Before hiring a contractor, be sure to ask if the quote includes:
- Removing and disposing of the old garage door
- On-site consultation and inspection fees for measuring the door opening before ordering the door
- Garage door home-delivery charges
- Reconnecting the garage door opener or installing a new opener
- Re-sealing the garage door perimeter
- Cleaning up
- Permit fees
- Any other additional fees
- A payment schedule for work completed
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted garage door installers:
- Paxton, Albert S. "2020 National Repair and Remodeling Estimator." (2020). PDF file.
- Russell, Jonathan. "2020 National Renovation & Insurance Repair Estimator." (2020). PDF file.
- Hicks, Ray F. “2020 National Home Improvement Estimator.” (2020). PDF file.
- Pray, Richard. "2020 National Construction Estimator." (2020). PDF file.
- Vance Wayne. Dually Doors. Personal Communication. (2020).
- Dolan Rivette. Halo Overhead Doors. Personal Communication. (2020).
How Much Does it Cost to Install Garage Doors and Openers? (2020).
Garage Door Prices in Minneapolis, St. Paul and Surrounding Suburbs for 2020. (2020).
2019 Typical Garage Door Prices. (2019).
Garage Door Installation. (2020).
Garage Door Replacement. (2020).
Home Depot Garage Doors - The Home Depot. (2020).
Garage Doors at Lowes.com. (2020).
How Much Are Garage Door Prices? (2020).
Cost to Install a Garage Door. (2020).
Can You Reuse Old Garage Door Tracks? (2014).
How Much Does It Cost To Install A Garage Door Opener? (2019).
How Long Does It Take to Install a Garage Door? (2019).
20+ Garage Door Installers in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted garage door installation companies:
Get free estimates