How Much Does Professional Christmas Light Installation Cost?
$2 – $5 Per Foot
$241 – $645 Average Total
$241 – $645 Average Total
Christmas lighting installation for a 1,500 square foot 1-story home costs $250 to $460, whereas a 2,000 sqft. 2-story home runs $500 to $800. Pricing includes the holiday lights and professional labor. By using your own lights, you'll save $100 to $200 on average.
Get free quotes from Christmas light installers near you.
Christmas Light Installation Pricing
Christmas light installation costs $241 to $645 on average, or between $2.81 and $4.81 per foot for both the holiday lights and labor. Christmas light strands cost $40 to $260, while labor and installation cost $150 to $400 with 20% extra for difficult roofs.
Pricing depends on the number of stories in the house, light quality, if landscaping or tree lights are installed, and additional Christmas decorations. Extension cords, stakes, and timers are needed for a handyman to properly install your light displays.
|National Average Cost||$443|
|Average Range||$241 to $645|
Table of Contents
Holiday Lighting Installation Costs
Professional holiday lighting installations cost $150 to $420 for labor when you supply your own lights. If the company includes lights, packages range from $230 to $1,150 to install and takedown. Many lighting services are landscaping companies that charge $150 to $200 minimum or $50 to $75 per hour.
|Number of Stories||Labor Only||Lights + Labor|
|One-story||$150 – $420||$230 – $630|
|Two-story||$240 – $750||$350 – $940|
|Three-story||$290 – $940||$430 – $1,150|
|Home, Trees & Landscape||$400 – $1,000||$550 – $1,200|
Christmas Light Installation Price Per Foot
The average cost to install Christmas lighting is $2 to $5 per foot, for the light strands and labor. Installation labor only costs $1.50 to $3.50 per linear foot, and lights add $1.25 a foot to the final cost. Adding landscaping lighting costs $1 per foot.
Cost To Hang Christmas Lights By Home Size
Companies set their prices based on the linear footage of the roofline and the number of stories. Pricing includes design and layout planning, renting lights and safety equipment, and labor. Package deals include maintenance if the lights burn out or for electrical issues.
If they use lights you provide, they should pack them away in storage for next season, as teardown is included. Below is the pricing by home size for lights plus installation.
|1,000||$227 – $389||$350 – $533||$430 – $623|
|1,500||$266 – $456||$431 – $649||$543 – $775|
|2,000||$303 – $519||$507 – $757||$643 – $910|
|2,400||$328 – $562||$559 – $832||$707 – $998|
|3,200||$354 – $606||$612 – $907||$784 – $1,100|
|4,200||$365 – $625||$635 – $940||$815 – $1,142|
Cost of Holiday Lighting Installed on High Roofs
Hanging Christmas lights on a high and challenging roof costs $3.50 to $6.00 per linear foot, or an extra 20% to 25%. Additional safety measures, extended ladders, and special equipment are required, which increases the overall cost. Roofs with many bends need more lights and cost more to install.
Cost To Wrap A Tree In Lights
Small trees and shrubs cost $10 to $20 to wrap, depending on the tree’s height. A palm tree with no lights on the fronds costs $75 for a 20-foot-tall trunk, and a Ligustrum hedge costs $150 – $200. Large trees up to 50’ take a whole day to wrap with a lift, so costs start at $1,500 per tree.
If you would like a beautiful spiral design that leaves some spacing between the lines, then you’re less likely to need very many strands. Expect to pay more for tighter spacing with hardly any dark areas between the lines.
Wiring Cost to Put Up Christmas Lights
Powering the lights may need new electrical wiring or outlets. Hiring an electrician to install an outdoor outlet with a cover costs $200 to $275. Depending on the home's size and types of lights, you may need more than one outlet installed. Light installers provide extension cords and stakes to secure the lights.
- Timer – Timers cost between $10 and $50 each. Timers are energy efficient, and the lights automatically turn on and off at scheduled times.
- Battery Powered – Consider installing battery operated lights to avoid hooking up the lights to the electrical supply.
Average Christmas Light Rental and Installation Cost
Renting Christmas lights costs $100 to $200 more than a basic labor-only package that uses your own lights. Packages that include lights, set-up, and takedown costs $230 to $600, depending on the home's size.
Plus, you won't have to deal with the takedown or storage process, or your lights no longer working after some years. The two main types of light strands are:
- Incandescent Lights are $350 per 150 linear feet of lighting installed.
- LED lighting is $500 per 150 linear feet of lighting installed.
Install & Rental Cost Factors
Here are the factors that go into pricing your installation.
- Linear feet of roofline(s) – The length in feet of where the lights are hung, as well as any landscaping lighting or tree wrapping.
- Number of stories on the house – more equipment required and more safety measure set in place to install your outdoor lighting.
- Labor costs in your area – The average labor cost is $250 or $75/hour, with the more prominent installation companies charging about $100/hour. You’ll pay about 11% of your one-story home’s square footage just for installing on the roofline or 105% of the cost of the lights.
- Type of lights – LED or incandescent, white or colored. The type of lights professional lighting services use is usually high-quality LED that are not sold in stores. They’ll have various colors to choose from to give the home the right look for the holiday season.
- Number of lights – Wrapped tightly around trees or far apart. If you don't want your trees to have any dark areas, then the lights will have to be wrapped closer together.
- Package pricing - Whether you are renting the lights from a professional or have your own set to use, many companies offer packages that make it affordable either way. Most include at least 150’ of lighting installed, bulb replacement when requested, and removal after the holidays are over.
- Discounts – Christmas light installers will often offer 10% – 20% off the package cost if you have your lights installed before their busiest season starts—after Thanksgiving.
Extra Holiday Decorations
- Landscape lighting – $1 per linear foot
- Staked lawn perimeter lighting – $3.25 – $4.25 per linear foot
- Per lawn ornament or wreath – $35
- Balcony wrapping – $60 – $75/8 feet
- Anything requiring a lift – $300 – $500 just for the rental per day
Christmas Light Removal Cost
Christmas light removal costs $100 to $300 or $0.50 to $0.60 per linear foot. The cost of light removal is typically included in package pricing. Professionals schedule a removal date during the initial consultation.
Whether the lights are yours or from the company, the teardown's cost is the same, as they organize everything for next year’s setup.
Christmas Lights Price List
Christmas lights cost $80 to $300 on average or $4 to $50 per strand, without installation. Buying the holiday lighting as part of the installation costs $0.50 to $2 per linear foot for the bulbs alone. The average 1,000 to 2,000 SF home uses 10 to 20 strands that feature 100 to 200 bulbs each.
|Type of Lights||Average Price Per Strand|
|Incandescent Lighting||$4 – $20|
|LED Lights||$6 – $60|
|Dome Lighting||$5 – $20|
|C6 Bulbs||$8 – $50|
|C7 Bulbs||$21 – $40|
|C9 Bulbs||$7 – $50|
|Commercial-Grade Lighting||$20 – $200|
- Incandescent and LED lighting are the top choices by professionals. They’re bright, last longer than most other types, and are waterproof.
- Most companies offer many colors that match your home and other holiday decorations.
Incandescent lights cost $4 to $20 per strand. Incandescent bulbs are the cheapest, most common, and traditional choice for holiday lighting. However, they use more energy than LED and burn out quicker.
Price of LED Christmas Lights
LED Christmas lights cost $6 to $60 per strand. LED bulbs are brighter, last longer (100,000 hours), and use less energy than all other types. Unlike other lights, if one LED light goes out, the whole strand keeps working, and the light can be replaced. LED lights are also recyclable.
Dome Lighting Costs
Dome bulbs cost $5 to $20 per strand on average. Dome lights are commons for landscaping lighting and accents. Dome lights give a soft glow that spreads out, making them look like big, fluffy snowflakes from afar. They are great for brightening up large, empty spaces.
C9 Light Bulbs for Christmas
C7 and C9 Christmas lights cost $7 to $50 per strand and are popular along the edge of roofs or windows. The numbers refer to the size of the socket on the cord. C7 lights are slightly smaller than mini lights. C9 bulbs are larger and add an outlining effect for the home.
Commercial-Grade Christmas Lights
Commercial-grade Christmas lights cost $20 to $200 per strand. Heavy-duty LED lights are standard for commercial projects. Commercial-grade lights come in various colors and sizes, from C9 to 5mm. Commercial bulbs provide greater design options that make homes look truly unique. They are customizable and allow trimming if there is excess.
DIY Christmas Light Decorator Cost
DIY Christmas decorating saves money but takes a long time to install. Hiring a professional ensures safer wiring, faster installation and takedown, and properly packing it away for next season.
For a grand Christmas display of beautiful, twinkling lights during the holiday season, start by finding the right professional and scheduling an on-site quote.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Can I Find Cheap Christmas Light Installation Companies?
During the offseason of February to September is the best time to hire an installation team. Business is usually slow during this time, so special rates may be available.
How Do I Get The Best Pricing For Christmas Lights?
Do the research it takes to find the right professional. Find out how much they charge per linear foot or hour, and ask about package deals. Most will be able to give these prices upfront.
How Much Are Permanent Christmas Lights?
The cost to install permanent Christmas lights is $3,500, but the maintenance for when a light goes out adds a small fee. Most LED lights last 100,000 hours, which is an average of 5 years of usage.
How Many Holiday Lights Do I Need for My Home?
The exterior of a home uses 10 to 20 strands on average. Installing holiday lights on trees and bushes takes 5 to 10 strands each. An average of 15 extra light strands are needed for each awning.
How Much Does It Cost for Someone to Decorate Your House for Christmas?
On average, homeowners spend $400 to have someone professionally decorate and install Christmas lights. For homes higher than one story, the cost can go up to $1,130.
Can I Hire an Installer to Hang Holiday Lights Out of Season?
Yes, you can hire an installer between February and September to get lower, out-of-season rates for your holiday lighting.
Hiring A Christmas Light Hanging Service
Hiring a landscape lighting company to set up Christmas lights frees you up to plan for other festive activities. Professionals also suggest holiday decorating designs before setting up and offer package deals to save money. They have the right safety equipment for reaching high places and include removal after the holidays.
Tips to Save Money on Holiday Light Installation
- Off-season – Some decorating services are available year-round to stay ahead of the curve. The earlier you can schedule them, preferably during the off-season of February to September, the cheaper.
- DIY – A DIY installation will save money, but hiring a professional does account for significant benefits. Cutting corners can make a job look thrown together, poses wiring hazards, and you have to take them all down yourself.
- Cheaper lights – Not necessarily a great idea if they keep breaking.
- Stick to the visible areas – Most homeowners only decorate the front of their homes.
- Timer – Time the lights to have them only come on when it’s dark and even then, go off by midnight.
- Plan Ahead – Decide in advance how you want your display to look. Think about how many lights you will need and where they will go. Measure the length of your house and around trees to see where you can cut corners.
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted Christmas light installation services:
20+ Christmas Light Installers in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted Xmas light installers:
Get free estimates