How much does stone veneer siding cost to install?
$10 – $45 Cost per square foot installed
$15,000 – $35,000 Average installation cost
$15,000 – $35,000 Average installation cost
Stone veneer siding costs $15,000 to $35,000 for an entire house exterior, $2,000 to $9,000 for the front of a house, or $3,000 to $13,500 for a foundation. Manufactured and natural stone veneer costs $10 to $45 per square foot. Faux-stone siding panels cost $10 to $25 per square foot.
Get free estimates from siding companies near you, or view our cost guide below.
Stone veneer siding cost
Stone veneer siding costs $15,000 to $35,000 installed on average or $10 to $45 per square foot. Stone veneer prices are $4 to $21 per square foot for natural stone, manufactured, or faux materials. Stone veneer installation labor costs $6 to $24 per square foot on average.
|Installation area (square feet)||Average cost installed|
|250||$2,500 – $11,000|
|500||$5,000 – $22,500|
|750||$7,500 – $34,000|
|1,000||$10,000 – $45,000|
|1,250||$12,500 – $56,000|
|1,500||$15,000 – $67,500|
|1,750||$17,500 – $79,000|
|2,000||$20,000 – $90,000|
Stone siding cost calculator
The following table shows the average cost to install stone siding veneer:
|National average cost||$25,000|
|Average cost range||$15,000 to $35,000|
Cost data is from research and project costs reported by HomeGuide members.
Stone veneer installation cost
Stone veneer installation costs $400 to $5,000 for stone siding around windows, garage doors, and half-stone with half-vinyl siding on a home’s front. Large stone-siding jobs cost $15,000 to $35,000 for the entire home exterior.
|Project||Average cost installed|
|Full exterior (1,000 square feet of wall coverage)||$15,000 – $35,000|
|Front of house (200 square feet of wall coverage)||$2,000 – $9,000|
|Half stone / half vinyl front of house||$1,300 – $5,000|
|Foundation around house||$3,000 – $13,500|
|Garage-door frame||$400 – $3,600|
|Fireplace||$1,300 – $5,000|
|Chimney||$1,000 – $6,000|
*Prices are for natural-stone veneer & manufactured cement-stone veneer.
Stone facade on entire house exterior cost
Installing a stone façade on an entire house exterior costs $15,000 to $35,000 on average or up to $90,000 for large homes. The cost of stone façade on a house is $10 to $45 per square foot, depending on the home’s layout, design, stone-coverage area, and stone veneer type.
Partially add stone to front of a house cost
Adding stone veneer to the entire front of a house costs $2,000 to $9,000 on average or $10 to $45 per square foot. A 200-square foot partial stone siding costs $1,300 to $5,000 for half-stone and half-vinyl siding on the front of a home.
|Material||Average cost installed|
|Stone veneer||$2,000 – $9,000|
|Half stone veneer / half vinyl||$1,300 – $5,000|
*Total installed cost based on 200 square feet of coverage.
Stone veneer foundation cost
A stone veneer foundation costs $3,000 to $13,500 on average or up to $22,500 for 2,000-square-foot homes. Adding stone on the bottom of a house costs $10 to $45 per square foot for manufactured or natural stone veneer.
|Foundation area (square feet)||Average cost installed|
|300||$3,000 – $13,500|
|400||$4,000 – $18,000|
|500||$5,000 – $22,500|
Adding stone veneer to fireplace or chimney cost
Adding stone veneer to a chimney costs $1,000 to $6,000 on average, depending on the size and roof accessibility. Installing stone veneer over a fireplace costs $1,300 to $5,000, depending on the height and stone type.
|Type||Cost per square foot||Total cost installed|
|Fireplace||$45 – $75||$1,300 – $5,000|
|Chimney||$15 – $60||$1,000 – $6,000|
Additional costs apply for:
- A new fireplace installation costs $1,900 to $5,600.
- A chimney rebuild costs $1,000 to $3,500, while a complete chimney replacement costs $4,000 to $15,000.
Stone veneer prices by material
Stone veneer prices are $4 to $21 per square foot for materials only, depending on the type, waterproofing methods, and if they’re individual flat pieces or larger panels.
Stone veneer siding options include natural stone, manufactured stone-shaped concrete, or polyurethane faux-stone panels.
|Material||Material cost per square foot||Total cost installed|
|Natural thin stone||$4 – $21||$15 – $45|
|Faux-stone panels (polyurethane)||$8 – $19||$10 – $25|
|Cultured or manufactured stone (concrete-based)||$4 – $20||$10 – $35|
- “Flats” are thin-cut individual veneer pieces smaller than 1 square foot.
- Panels are 1 to 2 square feet with mounted stone tiles.
Natural stone veneer prices
Natural stone veneer prices are $4 to $21 per square foot, depending on the material and whether it's panels or pieces. Thin-stone veneer installation costs $15 to $45 per square foot total, including materials.
|Material||Material cost per square foot||Total cost installed|
|Limestone||$4 – $19||$15 – $43|
|Granite||$8 – $21||$19 – $45|
|Slate||$4 – $11||$15 – $35|
|Marble||$7 – $17||$18 – $41|
|Sandstone||$4 – $18||$15 – $42|
|Travertine||$7 – $16||$18 – $40|
|Quartzite||$4 – $15||$15 – $39|
|Basalt||$7 – $11||$18 – $35|
Limestone house siding cost
Limestone siding costs $4 to $19 per square foot for materials. Installing limestone for a house exterior costs $14 to $43 per square foot, depending on stone quality and availability. Limestone stains and scratches more easily than other stones, but it comes in more colors.
Common natural limestone colors are:
- Pale to medium grey
- Light earth tones
- Red-browns to golden browns
- Light blue-grey to navy blue
Granite stone veneer prices
Granite stone veneer prices are $8 to $22 per square foot. Granite veneer costs $18 to $46 per square foot installed, depending on the quality and surface type. This naturally reflective stone is the most resistant to scratching and staining and is one of the heaviest veneers.
Common natural granite colors are:
- Speckled white, black, & brown
- Light to medium grey
- Red-brown earth tones
Slate cladding prices
Slate cladding prices are $4 to $11 per square foot for materials. Slate siding costs $14 to $35 per square foot installed on average. This stone is ideal for rainy and humid areas as it naturally repels water, resists stains, and is easy to clean.
Common natural slate colors are:
- Dark grey
- Light & dark blue-greys
Faux-stone veneer siding prices
Faux-stone siding costs $10 to $25 per square foot installed. Faux-stone panels cost $8 to $19 per square foot for materials only. Most products labeled “faux-stone” are dense polyurethane molded into real stone shapes.
Cultured or manufactured stone veneer cost
Manufactured stone veneer costs $10 to $35 per square foot installed, depending on the installation method. Cultured stone material prices alone are $4 to $20 per square foot for flats or panels. Manufactured stone is thin pieces of dyed concrete molded into stone shapes.
|Type||Material cost per square foot||Total cost installed|
|Flats / pieces||$4 – $11||$12 – $35|
|Panels||$4 – $20||$10 – $35|
Cost factors to install or replace stone siding on house exterior
The cost to install or replace stone siding depends on the home size, material, install method, and the existing wall conditions. Other factors include:
- Wall prep – Old siding removal costs $1 to $6 per square foot, depending on the material. Existing siding typically needs removing or reinforcing before installing new stone veneer siding.
- Hazardous materials – Asbestos siding removal costs $4 to $6 per square foot. Contractors sometimes install new stone veneer over flat and undisturbed asbestos siding.
- Repairs – If other siding materials are damaged during installation, siding repair costs $2 to $14 per square foot.
- Painting – The cost to paint siding is $1.25 to $4.00 per square foot on average.
- Moisture barrier and waterproofing – Clear oil-based hydro sealer costs start at $0.30 to $0.35 per square foot. Exterior moisture-blocking sealant costs $2.00 to $10.00 per square foot.
- Panels vs. flats – Veneer panels take less time to install than individual veneer pieces less than 1 square foot.
- Permits – Siding permits cost $100 to $250 on average. Faux-stone siding doesn’t require a permit in some states.
Labor cost to install stone veneer
The labor cost to install stone veneer is $6 to $24 per square foot on average, depending on the material and installation method. Complex and multi-level layouts add 25% to 35% more in labor costs.
|Stone type||Labor cost per square foot|
|Natural stone flats||$11 – $24|
|Manufactured flats||$8 – $24|
|Manufactured panels||$6 – $15|
|Faux panels||$2 – $6|
*Includes labor and supplies, not the stone-veneer materials.
Stone veneer over brick or siding cost
Installing stone veneer over a brick exterior costs $10 to $45 per square foot on average if existing brick walls are stable. Installation costs $14 to $50 per square foot if a damaged brick veneer wall needs removing first.
Requirements to install stone veneer over brick:
- The surface must be a solid brick exterior wall with no loose, cracked, or crumbling bricks.
- Painted brick needs additional lathe or cement boards to hold the stone veneer.
- Vinyl or thin-brick siding needs removing before installing stone veneer.
Stone vs. brick or vinyl siding
Natural stone siding has the best durability but also is the heaviest. Stone veneers can crack with extreme freeze-thaw cycles.
Other siding costs $3 to $18 per square foot, depending on the type.
- Brick siding costs $8 to $18 per square foot, is highly durable, but is prone to absorbing moisture.
- Vinyl siding costs $3 to $7 per square foot, is low-maintenance, easy to install, but is the easiest to damage.
- Fiber cement siding costs $6 to $13 per square foot, and some styles mimic the look of stone.
Stone façade cladding prices by brand
Stone veneer material prices are $4 to $24 per square foot on average, depending on the brand and type. Veneer either comes as flats (tile-size stone pieces) or panels. Most panels are DIY friendly, maintenance-free, and suitable for interior and exterior applications.
|Brand||Cost per square foot||Veneer material type|
|GenStone||$11 – $42||
|NextStone||$9 – $17||
|Ply Gem||$5 – $11||
|AirStone||$6 – $8||
|Centurion Stone||$4 – $6||
|Stone Design||$4 – $10||
|Black Bear||$6 – $9||
|Eldorado Stone||$9 – $15||
|Silvermine Stone||$16 – $24||
|Veneerstone||$11 – $15||
|Cast Natural Stone||$6 – $7||
*Material prices only.
GenStone siding costs $11 to $42 per square foot for faux-stone polyurethane panels weighing 1 to 3 lbs. per square foot. One panel is 1.25” thick and 42”x12” in size. All panels come with a 25-year warranty.
NextStone siding costs $9 to $17 per square foot for faux-stone polyurethane panels weighing 1.00 to 1.50 lb. per square foot. This veneer is 1.25” thick with panel sizes up to 4’ long. NextStone offers a 20-year warranty.
Ply Gem veneer prices
Ply Gem stone veneer prices are $5 to $11 per square foot for manufactured-stone veneer weighing 8 to 11 lbs. per square foot. This concrete veneer is 1.5” to 2.5” thick and comes in 1.25” to 6.00” pieces or 9” to 18” long panels. Ply Gem has a 50-year warranty.
AirStone veneer cost
AirStone veneer prices are $6 to $8 per square foot for manufactured cement-stone flats weighing 1.00 to 1.25 lbs. per square foot. Each piece is 0.38” to 1.00” thick and measures 2” to 4” tall by 4” to 12” long. Only Lowe’s sells AirStone, and it has a 10-year warranty.
Centurion Stone prices
Centurion Stone prices are $4 to $6 per square foot for manufactured-stone panels weighing 7.5 to 12.0 lbs. per square foot. Panels are 1.5” to 3.0” thick with sizes up to 15”x15”. These molded-concrete panels have a 50-year warranty and more than 200 color choices.
Frequently asked questions
What is stone-veneer siding?
Stone-veneer siding is a natural-stone or stone-imitation protective wall coating that raises the home’s aesthetic value. Real stone siding lasts 50 to 100 years. Faux-stone veneers last 20 to 75 years, depending on if they are manufactured-stone (cement) or molded plastic.
Where to put stone on a house
Places where builders put stone on a house include:
- Fireplace surrounds
- Kitchen backsplashes
- Bathroom walls
- Exterior home walls
- Garage entrances
- Outdoor kitchens or firepit borders
- Foundation façades
- Outdoor chimney coatings
- Interior statement walls
- Landscaping wall finishes
- Outdoor columns & fence posts
How long does it take to install stone siding?
Installing stone siding takes 7 to 14 days on average. Two siding contractors can install 30 to 200 square feet per day, depending on the stone veneer type and method. Customized veneer designs for fireplaces with stone flats take twice as long to install due to the stone layout planning.
|Siding type||Square feet installed per day|
|Mortared stone-siding flats (with custom handmade design work)||30 – 80|
|Mortared stone-siding panels or flats (simple uniform design)||120 – 200|
|Faux-stone polyurethane panels (mortarless)||180 – 400|
*Based on installation crew of 2 people. Includes old siding removal & wall-prep time.
Hiring stone veneer installation contractors
When hiring a stone siding contractor, use this checklist:
- Choose stone veneer siding contractors certified by:
- Compare more than two different estimates.
- Beware of the cheapest bids that often mean low-quality work.
- Browse their reviews on HomeGuide, Google, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Check all company licenses, liability insurance, and bond guarantees.
- Collect copies of the estimate, contract, and warranty before hiring.
- Use a payment plan instead of paying in total upfront.
Questions to ask stone veneer installers
- Do you offer natural-stone siding or faux-stone siding?
- Will you attach the siding with or without mortar?
- Can I see photos of your previous projects and a list of references?
- How many stone siding jobs have you completed, and what’s your specialty?
- May I see siding samples before you start?
- How will you prevent water leaks around my windows, doors, roof edges, and exhaust vents?
- Do you install a rainscreen and vapor barrier beneath the lath and siding?
- How long should this siding last in my climate?
- Will this type of exterior siding need regular applications of sealant?
- How do you prevent mold growth under the siding?
- Will you consult a structural engineer for installations on walls more than 10’ tall?
- Will you pull permits and supervise inspections for this project?
- Can you match the stone siding colors to my home?
- What do you do when unexpected delays occur?
- Does your fee include site cleanup?
- How should I prepare for the crew’s arrival?
- What does your labor warranty include?
- When will you finish the job, and what’s your payment timeline?
- Are all materials, labor, and cleanup fees in this bid? What extra costs apply?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted stone installers:
- Pray, Richard. "2020 National Construction Estimator." PDF file. (2020).
- Russell, Jonathan. "2020 National Renovation & Insurance Repair Estimator." PDF file. (2020).
- Hicks, Ray F. "2020 National Home Improvement Estimator." PDF file. (2020).
- Paxton, Albert S. "2020 National Repair & Remodeling Estimator." PDF file. (2020).
- Thomson, James A. "2020 National Plumbing & HVAC Estimator." PDF file. (2020).
- Gleason, Dennis D., CPE. "2020 National Painting Cost Estimator." PDF file. (2020).
- Tyler, Mark C. "2020 National Electrical Estimator." PDF file. (2020).
- Moselle, Ben. "2021 National Building Cost Manual." PDF file. (2020).
Home Depot: Stone veneer siding. (2021).
Lowe's: Stone veneer. (2021).
Menards: Stone veneer siding. (2020).
How much does stone veneer cost? (2019).
Cost to re-side a house. (2020).
All Landscape Supply. "Eldorado stone: Prices." PDF file. (n.d.).
Davis Block & Concrete. "Eldorado Stone: 2020 Price list." PDF file. (2020).
- Gevoni Thomas, Amplify Masonry. Personal communication. (2021).
Eldorado Stone. "Frequently Asked Questions." PDF file. (2021).
Cost to install veneer stone. (2021).
- Nathan Savage, Brick Restoration Inc. Personal communication. (2021).
- Stacey Simpson, Covis Stone. Personal communication. (2021).
- Jim Johnson, Precision Masonry JBJ LLC. Personal communication. (2021).
- Greg Zamirski, Royal State Construction, LLC. Personal communication. (2021).
- Luke Thornton, J&N Stone Inc. Personal communication. (2021).
- Todd, Emerald State. Personal communication. (2021).
- Marta, Mortonstones LLC. Personal communication. (2021).
20+ Siding contractors near you
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
Get free estimates