How much does a microwave cost?
$50 – $500 Countertop microwave
$150 – $600 Over-the-range microwave
$400 – $2,000 Built-in microwave
$150 – $600 Over-the-range microwave
$400 – $2,000 Built-in microwave
A microwave costs $100 to $600 on average, depending on the brand, type, features, and size. Microwave oven prices are $50 to $500 for countertop models and $150 to $600 for over-the-range types. Built-in microwave prices are $400 to $2,000. Microwave installation costs $100 to $400.
Get free estimates from appliance installers near you or view our buying guide below.
The average cost of a microwave is $100 to $600. In comparison, a new microwave costs $50 to $500 for countertop models, $150 to $600 for over-the-range types, and $400 to $2,000 for built-in. Our buying guide covers microwave prices by brand, type, and size.
|National average cost||$350|
|Average range||$100 to $600|
New microwave cost by type
The following table compares the types of microwaves by price and features:
|Type||Price range||Pros and cons|
|Countertop||$50 – $500||
|Over-the-range||$150 – $600||
|Built-in||$180 – $2,000||
|Drawer||$1,000 – $1,400||
|Combo oven||$2,500 – $3,500||
|Convection||$180 – $800||
*Microwave cost only. Installation adds $100 to $400+.
Countertop microwave cost
A countertop microwave costs $50 to $500 on average, depending on the cooking capacity, wattage, and features. High-end countertop models cost up to $1,100 for top brands and models with convection-cooking features.
|Size (cubic feet)||Watts||Average cost|
|Small (0.5 - 1.0)||700 – 1,100||$50 – $150|
|Medium (1.1 - 1.5)||800 – 1,400||$70 – $400|
|Large (1.6 - 2.2)||950 – 1,600||$110 – $500|
- No installation required
- Easy to replace or move
- Takes up counter space
- Typically come with fewer features
Over-the-range microwave cost
An over-the-range microwave costs $150 to $600 on average, with high-end models costing up to $1,800. Over-the-stove microwaves are 18” to 36” wide and require a precise fit and professional installation.
- Venting options include recirculating the air through a charcoal filter back into the house or connect the unit to external venting ducts.
- Models with a high cubic-feet-per-minute fan power produce better airflow.
Built-in microwave cost
A built-in microwave costs $400 to $2,000 on average, depending on the type and size. Built-in microwaves are the best types for saving counter space and blending in with the cabinetry. However, they require professional installation by a carpenter.
|Standard||$180 – $3,500||
|Drawer||$700 – $1,800||
|Combo oven||$2,350 – $7,000+||
Cost of convection microwave oven
A convection microwave costs $180 to $800 on average, or up to $3,500 for the largest high-end models. The internal fans and additional heating elements inside circulate hot air evenly for faster cooking like a traditional oven.
- Available as countertop, over-the-range, and built-in models.
- Cooking options include roasting, baking, broiling, and crisping.
Microwave prices by brand
Microwaves cost $50 to $3,500 depending on the brand, size, and microwave type. Good microwave oven brands like an LG microwave oven costs $130 to $800, and GE microwaves cost $80 to $3,500. The top brands tend to use fingerprint-resistant stainless steel, which is more durable than aluminum.
|Avanti||$60 – $200|
|Black+Decker||$75 – $370|
|Whirlpool||$120 – $900|
|Panasonic||$85 – $650|
|Kenmore||$70 – $500|
|Magic Chef||$55 – $340|
|Samsung||$130 – $600|
|LG||$130 – $800|
|Bosch||$400 – $2,100|
|Kitchen Aid||$500 – $2,300|
|Frigidaire||$125 – $1,400|
|GE||$80 – $3,500|
|Toshiba||$80 – $500|
|Viking||$570 – $2,350|
|Amana||$200 – $2,000|
Microwave buying guide
A good microwave costs $100 to $600 on average, depending on the type, size, features, and capacity. Consider the following factors when choosing a good microwave:
- Budget – Countertop microwaves are the cheapest, have the largest selection, and don’t require installation. Over-the-range and built-in models cost more, have better features, and require professional installation.
- Size and location – A countertop microwave is the easiest to move, while over-the-range and built-in models save counter space.
- Wattage – Most units have 800 to 1,200 watts of power. High-wattage microwaves cook faster but cost more.
- Capacity – Microwaves have capacities of 0.5 to 2.2 cubic feet total, while most are 1 to 2 cubic feet.
- Features – Advanced features like convection-cooking mode, inverter precision cooking, defrosting, and child lock increases the price.
- Warranty – Get free repairs or replacements within 1 to 12 months under most warranties. Some credit card consumer-protection programs also extend warranties.
Microwave sizes guide
Over-the-range microwaves are 18” to 36” wide and require an exact fit. Countertop microwaves are 12” to 27” wide and fit in multiple places. The kitchen’s layout and family size determine which size microwave is best.
The following is a microwave size comparison table based on type:
|Countertop||12” – 27”||10” – 14”||10” – 21”|
|Over-the-range||18” – 36”||10” – 18”||15” – 18”|
|Built-in||18” – 31”||12” – 20”||13” – 25”|
Cooking capacity is the microwave’s interior size:
- 5 to 1.0 cubic feet is compact to small or dorm size
- 0 to 1.6 cubic feet is standard family-size or full size
- 8 to 2.0+ cubic feet is extra-large
Compare microwave features
Most new microwaves come with many features, options, and smart functions. Microwave oven features to look for include:
- Smart sensor cooking – Detects steam and automatically adjusts the cooking time and power accordingly to stop food from burning.
- Auto defrost – Instantly estimates the thawing time and cooking temperature.
- Quick keys and presets – Save pre-programmed settings for one-touch cooking tasks and reheating.
- Smart / Wi-Fi connected – Allows wireless microwave control through a smart device, digital assistant, or voice control.
- Child-safety lock– Prevent accidental use by locking the microwave with a key code.
- Charcoal filters (over-the-range microwaves) – Purify grease, smoke, and odors from the stovetop range below.
- Turntable trays and racks – Easy-to-clean removable trays rotate the food for even heating, or stack food for cooking multiple dishes.
- Power rating– Most units have 800 to 1,200 watts of power. High-wattage microwaves cook faster but cost more. Most units come with 10 power levels and multi-stage cooking.
- Cooking capacity – Microwaves range from capacities of 0.5 to 2.2 cubic feet.
Built-in vs. over-the-range microwaves
Both over-the-range and built-in microwaves save counter space, need a precise fit, and require professional installation.
- Over-the-range microwaves replace the stove’s exhaust hood for kitchen ventilation.
- Built-in microwaves go inside the wall or cabinetry.
- Microwave-drawer models replace any drawer.
Where can I buy a microwave?
The best places to buy a microwave are home improvement stores like Best Buy, Sears, Lowe's, and Home Depot for the largest selection. A microwave at Walmart costs $50 to $365 but has fewer models to choose from than other stores.
|Best Buy||$55 – $2,700|
|Sears||$55 – $3,400|
|Lowe's||$40 – $3,500|
|Home Depot||$55 – $1,400|
|Walmart||$50 – $365|
|Target||$50 – $430|
|Menards||$45 – $1,200|
|Amazon||$60 – $1,200|
Microwave installation costs $100 to $300 for an over-the-range microwave or $220 to $580 for a built-in microwave, not including the price of the microwave unit.
- Electrician or handyman prices are $50 to $100 per hour for labor.
- Adding a new electrical outlet costs $150 to $600
When to repair or replace a microwave oven?
Microwave repairs cost $100 to $300 on average, depending on the model and repair type. If the microwave is high-end, less than 5 years old, and needs minor fixes, then repairing the unit is more cost-effective. Replace microwaves almost 10 years old with multiple defects.
|Repair when:||Replace when:|
Frequently asked questions
Best low-cost microwave oven
The best affordable countertop microwaves cost $75 to $170 with features like cooking presets, basic timers, and cooking power of 900 to 1,100 watts. Low-cost countertop microwaves with convection cooking and air frying cost $200 to $400.
How long does a microwave last?
Microwaves last 7 to 10 years on average, depending on usage and maintenance. All microwave types need regular cleaning and degreasing of the grease filters for optimum performance.
Extend the microwave’s lifespan by:
- Never heating metals inside the microwave
- Closing the door gently
- Never running the microwave with nothing inside
- Letting only a qualified technician do microwave repairs
- Keeping the microwave plugged into a surge protector
- Maintaining space for air circulation around the microwave
- Always turning on an over-the-range microwave’s exhaust fan when cooking on the stovetop below
How much does it cost to use a microwave per minute?
The cost to run a microwave is less than $0.01 per minute or $0.10 to $0.13 per hour on average, depending on local electricity rates. Microwaves also use some power to stay in standby mode and operate the digital clock, which costs an additional $4 to $6 annually.
|Daily usage (minutes)||Electricity cost per year|
|5||$3 – $5|
|15||$11 – $14|
|30||$22 – $28|
|60||$45 – $55|
*Based on a 1,200-watt microwave.
Hiring a microwave installation service
- Certified appliance-technician training
- Years of experience in microwave installations
- Competitive pricing that’s not the most expensive or cheapest out of 3 or more different estimates
- Excellent customer reviews on HomeGuide, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and Google
- A contractor’s license and insurance
- Labor warranties
- Knowledge of local building codes for microwave installation heights over the range
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted microwave installers:
Microwave ovens. (2019).
Microwaves - Lowe's. (2021).
Microwaves at The Home Depot. (2021).
Microwaves & Microwave Ovens - Best Buy. (2021).
Microwaves - Walmart.com. (2021).
Microwave Ovens : Target. (2021).
Sears - Microwaves. (2021).
Amazon - Microwave ovens. (2021).
Microwaves at Menards®. (2021).
Microwave Oven Buying Guide. (2020).
Here's exactly what to look for before buying a microwave oven, according to kitchen experts. (2019).
The best over-the-range microwaves for the kitchen. (2020).
How much does it cost to install a microwave? (2021).
How long do microwave ovens last? The lifespan of a microwave. (2019).
Types of microwaves. (2020).
Build.com - Microwave product page. (2020).
20+ Appliance Installers in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted pros:
Get free estimates