How Much Does a Home Security System Cost?
$25 – $50 Per Month
$199 – $399 Equipment
$0 – $199 Installation & Activation
$199 – $399 Equipment
$0 – $199 Installation & Activation
An average home security system costs $300 to $840 upfront for alarm equipment, installation, and activation fees. The average cost for home security system monitoring services is $25 to $50 per month, depending on the package. Most home security contracts last 12 to 36 months. Get free estimates from home security companies near you or view our cost guide below.
Average Cost of Home Security System
The average cost of a home security system is $25 to $50 per month for monitoring services. Alarm system equipment costs $199 to $399 upfront and $0 to $199 for security system installation and activation fees. Most home security contracts last 12 to 36 months.
|Base Package||$199 – $399|
|Installation & Activation||$0 – $199|
|Monthly Monitoring||$25 – $50|
|Accessories||$20 – $100|
*Alarm system pricing depends on the brand and features included.
Home Security System Monthly Cost
Monthly security system costs depend on the brand, equipment package, and extra features installed. Many providers make the initial purchase and set up as cheap as possible but recoup the costs in monthly monitoring fees. Compare monthly prices from the best home security systems below.
|Company||Monthly Cost||Install & Activation Fees||Equipment Cost|
|ADT Home Security||$37 – $53||$99 – $199||None|
|Vivint Security||$40 – $51||$49 – $250||$600+|
|Frontpoint Security||$45 – $50||None||$69 – $479|
|SimpliSafe Security||$15 – $25||DIY – $79||$230+|
|ProtectAmerica (Brinks)||$20 – $55||None||None|
|Ring||$10 – $20||DIY||$199+|
|Brink’s Home Security||$30 – $40||None||$199+|
|Link Interactive||$31 – $45||None||$95|
|Abode||$8 – $20||None||$219+|
|Nest||$0 – $30||DIY||$399+|
|Suddenlink||$30 – $50||$40||None|
|ATT||$40 – $65||None||$549+|
|Guardian Protection||$28 – $35||$100 – $200||None|
|CPI Home Security||$30 – $65||$100 – $300||$500+|
|Comcast / Xfinity||$40 – $50||$100||$360+|
|Fluent||Avg. $52||DIY – $99||Varies|
Typically, the more equipment that's monitored, the higher the monthly month—such as the number of sensors, detectors, cameras, video archiving, and smart home devices like door locks, thermostats, etc.
|National Average Cost||$570|
|Average Range||$300 to $840|
Table of Contents
- Average Cost of Home Security System
- Home Security System Cost Comparison
- Home Security System Installation Costs
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Hiring a Home Security Company
- Home Security Companies Near Me
Home Security System Cost Comparison
Alarm systems cost between $100 and $1,500, activation ranges from $0 to $299, monitoring from $10 to $65, and additional accessories are $20 to $100 extra. Compare home security systems according to contract length, installation type, guarantee, and smart home compatibility.
|Company||Contract||Install||Guarantee||Smart Home Compatible|
|ADT Home Security||36 months||Pro||6 months||Yes|
|Vivint Security||48 – 60 months||Pro||3 days||Yes|
|Frontpoint Security||None||DIY||30 days||Yes|
|SimpliSafe Security||None||DIY||60 days||Yes|
|Protect America||36 months||DIY||30 days||Yes|
|Brinks Home Security||36 months||DIY / Pro||30 days||Yes|
|Link Interactive||12 – 36 months||DIY||30 days||Yes|
|Suddenlink||12 months||Pro||30 days||No|
|ATT||24 months||Pro||14 days||Yes|
|Guardian||36 months||Pro||3 days||Yes|
|CPI Home Security||0 – 39 months||Pro||3 days||Yes|
|Comcast / Xfinity||24 months||Pro||30 days||No|
|Fluent||36 months||DIY / Pro||3 days||Yes|
ADT Cost Per Month
ADT costs $37 to $53 per month for security monitoring, depending on the package. Installing an ADT security system costs $199 or $99 with a 36-month contract. ADT alarm packages include a $100 Visa Reward Card, insurance certificates, and up to $500 of insurance deductible coverage if robbed.
- A+ BBB rating; 6 monitoring centers
- $100 Visa Reward Card on signing. $500 towards deductible if robbed
- The top plan includes a phone app, home automation, cameras, and fire, CO2, and medical alerts.
- If you have ADT cameras, monitoring staff uses feed to verify alarms.
0% financing for 12 to 60 months is available up to $4,000, but results in higher monthly payments. Also, early termination is 75% of remaining plan costs.
Vivint Home Security Cost
Vivint Home Security costs $30 to $50 per month for monitoring, depending on the package. Each additional camera and smart locks add $3 per month. Vivint alarm equipment cost starts at $600, and installation runs $49 to $199. Vivint contracts last 48 to 60 months.
- Includes an app with video monitoring and home automation through Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Z-Wave.
- Smart home integration can lock doors on a schedule or unlock when carbon dioxide or fire is detected.
- High-end equipment with touch screen and 2-way audio. Offers a three-day return policy.
- Control panel includes a backup battery
- Compatible with Vivint’s OBD II Car Guard, which protects your vehicle with alerts about being bumped, stolen, or towed.
Brinks Home Security Cost
Brinks Home Security costs $399 to $1,099 for the equipment, depending on the package. Brinks security monitoring costs $29 to $39 per month, depending on the plan and has no activation or installation fees. Brinks offers 0% financing, has a 30-day return, and no hidden charges.
- Includes phone app control and standard home automation for each package.
- 0% financing available; 2-year warranty.
- DIY or professionally installed.
- Rated #1 for customer service 2-years in a row by J.D. Power in 2019
- Works on Wi-Fi and cellular with 2-year equipment replacement warranty
- Can transfer your existing service to Brinks, or use Brinks monitoring services for Nest.
Frontpoint Security Cost
Frontpoint Security costs $69 to $479 upfront for equipment, and cellular monitoring runs $45 to $50 per month. Add-ons include additional cameras with video surveillance monitoring, home automation for smart home devices, and extra contact sensors for $33 to $65.
- No contracts or activation fees; 30-day returns; %0 financing available.
- Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Z-Wave devices to control smart home products like lights and thermostats.
- High-end equipment with touch screen. Self-learning system, 24-hour backup battery, smash-and-crash protection, sensor monitoring every hour. Covered by 3-year warranty.
- Sensors are wireless, and cameras work over Wi-Fi.
Ring Security System Cost
A ring security system costs $199 to $599, depending on the number of sensors, cameras, and motion sensors. Ring's monitoring service costs $10 per month without contracts or activation fees. Additional sensors cost $20 each, and motion detectors run $30 each.
- Offers 0% financing, a 30-day money-back guarantee, and a 1-year warranty on equipment.
- Stolen Ring equipment gets replaced for free if reported within 15 days.
- Uses Wi-Fi with AT&T cellular backup, rechargeable batteries, and cameras have 2-way audio with a 60-day video archive.
- Additional accessories include flood, freeze, smoke and CO sensors, panic buttons, motion detectors, sirens, garage door tilt sensors, light switches, dimmers, door locks, security cameras, and video doorbells.
- Retrofit existing wired sensors to work with Ring for $199.
- Ring is compatible with various devices.
SimpliSafe Security System Cost
A SimpliSafe security system costs $229 to $489 upfront, with optional no-contract 24/7 live cellular monitoring at $15 to $25 per month. Extra intrusion sensors cost $15 to $35, hazard sensors are $20 to $50, and cameras and door locks are $99 each.
- No contract or activation fees.
- 24/7 Live monitoring. Wi-Fi system with cellular backup
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
- DIY setup is easy, or hire a pro for $79 to install.
- Offers 60-day returns; customer service was #2 in 2019, according to JD powers.
Nest Security System Cost
A Nest security system costs $399 for the Nest Guard controller, two Nest Detects, and two RFID Tags. An advanced Nest system with cameras and a smart door lock costs $1,425. Nest Aware costs $5 to $30 per month for intelligent alerts and cloud video storage.
- Nest has a free self-monitoring app, with an optional upgrade to Brinks monitoring for $19 to $29 per month.
- Nest makes compatible thermostats, smoke and CO alarms, temperature sensors, cameras, and doorbell cameras.
- Nest works with hundreds of smart devices like plugs, lighting controls, and entertainment devices.
Comcast Home Security Cost
Comcast Home Security costs $40 to $50 per month for professional monitoring. Base equipment packages start at $360 or $15 monthly under contract, and installation adds $100.
- Offers 24-month 0% interest for equipment
- Cloud storage for 7 days of 24/7 footage from up to 4 cameras.
- Automation through an app to control lights, thermostats, and door locks.
- Works with smart appliances
Guardian Home Security Cost
Guardian Home Security costs $28 to $35 per month, and $100 to $200 for installation and activation. Contracts are typically 36 months, and early termination fee is 20% of the total contract.
- Covers up to $500 of insurance deductible if robbed.
- Discounts are available to Military and First Responders
- 90 days to life of service warranty.
- Claims an 18.5 second alarm response time.
CPI Security Cost
CPI security costs $30 to $65 per month for professional monitoring. Base equipment packages start at $500, and activation ranges from $100 to $300, depending if you own the home.
- Offers 39-month 0% financing
- Intelligent Video Activity Notifications
- One-year warranty on equipment.
- False-alarm protection.
Link Interactive Cost
Link Interactive costs $31 to $45 per month, with upfront equipment costs starting at $95. Installation and activation is include at no cost and contracts are flexible.
- BBB A+ rated; 3-year warranty; no fees if you move.
- Uses wireless cellular systems
- Monitoring is outsourced to AvantGuard
Abode Security Cost
Abode Security costs $8 to $20 per month for professional monitoring. Additional sensors and accessories cost $19 to $199. Easy DIY install with 30-day guarantee, and no other hidden fees.
- 30-day guarentee. All equipment has unlimited warranty.
- Self-monitoring via app or web is free.
- Easy DIY setup. Compatible with smart home systems.
Fluent Security Cost
Fluent Security costs $52 per month on average. You can install the system yourself, or pay $99 for professional installation. Monthly contract costs increase by $35 to $70 depending on what services are added.
- Offers video surveillance or home automation.
- 90-day warranty on equipment
Home Security System Installation Costs
Home security system installation costs $0 to $250 on average, depending on the type of equipment, features, labor, and taxes. Installation is performed by the vendor, alarm companies, or electricians and takes 30 minutes to 3 hours. Always check the fine print for hidden installation costs before signing a contract.
Home Security Equipment Costs
Upfront equipment costs for a basic home security system start at $100 up to $1,500 for an advanced control panel with additional cameras, keypad, sensors, motion detectors, siren, smart features, and more. Discounts are offered for signing up for a monthly monitoring contract with equipment leasing.
|Upfront Equipment Costs||$100 – $1,500|
|Security Camera Costs||$125 – $450|
|Extra Door & Window Sensors||$15 – $70|
|Smart Home Upgrades||$20 – $300|
|Keychain Fob & Wearable Remotes||$20 – $50|
|Motion Detectors||$20 – $50|
|Siren or Floodlight||$50 – $250|
|Smoke, Fire & CO2 Detectors||$20 – $50|
|Glass Break Sensors||$40 – $80|
Before purchasing additional equipment, make sure the central control panel is compatible and can support more devices. Additional equipment may increase ongoing monthly fees, such as cloud storage for cameras.
Be wary of companies offering "free" equipment to new customers, as those contracts typically include hidden fees for monitoring and activation that can cost thousands over time.
Wired vs. Wireless Alarm Cost
Wired alarm systems cost $800 to $1,600 to install and are contract-based. Wireless alarms cost $200 to $2,000 to install with month-to-month billing. Alarm systems typically include a control panel, keypad, battery backup, window and door sensors, motion detector, and window decals, and yard signs.
|Cost||$800 – $1,600||$200 – $2,000|
Hardwired systems can have wireless sensors or cellular backup, or vice versa. Converting a hardwired system to wireless costs $50 to $170 for parts, plus installation fees by a professional. Companies like Link Interactive, Brinks, and Xfinity will take over existing systems and provide monitoring.
Alarm System Activation Fees
Security system activation fees range from $0 to $299, with most spending $25 to $100 on average, depending on the security provider, alarm type, and plan selected. An activation fee is a one-time charge paid upfront to activate your home security system.
Companies that don't have an activation fee may charge more per month. Hidden activation fees are found in the fine print of the contract.
Home Security Monitoring Cost
Home security monitoring costs $15 to $35 per month on average. Adding monitored security cameras costs $15 per month more, and smoke or carbon monoxide detectors add $2 to $6 per month. Monitoring services:
- Automatically alert police, fire, medical response teams.
- Detects carbon monoxide, smoke, and natural gas leaks.
- Monitors power outages, flooding, and changes in temperature.
|Base Monitoring||$15 – $35|
|Monitored Security Camera||+ $15|
|Monitored Smoke or Carbon Monoxide Detector||+ $2 – $6|
Wired systems use landlines to communicate, while newer systems use cellular or broadband.
- Landline – Cheaper, requires a telephone line, but are currently being phased out. Landlines are less secure and easily compromised by cutting the line. Be sure the system includes a cellular backup. Landlines can be converted to broadband / cellular systems for $80 to $330, or redirected to another provider.
- Broadband / Cellular – Offers the safest and fastest protection using an internet connection or cell service. However, backup power is required since power outages affect cellular and broadband systems with Wi-Fi sensors.
Home Security System Features
There are extra features and fees which vary depending on the security provider.
- 24/7 Live Camera Recording
Security cameras and video doorbells with motion-triggered or continuous video recording (CVR) and cloud storage of 7 to 30 days
- Remote Monitoring
24/7 professional monitoring. If a sensor is triggered, the remote monitoring center will alert you of suspicious activity.
- Smart Home Monitoring
Some companies offer plans to connect the security system to operate smart lights, smart locks, doorbells, and thermostats to automatically lock doors or adjust the home's temperature.
- Smash Crash Protection
A burglar can’t smash the system to disable it
- Triggered Sensors
Smoke, carbon monoxide, extreme temperature, flood, motion, window, and door sensors can send automatic notifications when triggered
- Phone Apps
Control monitor and arm/disarm the system remotely from your phone.
- Panic Button
Add an instant alarm activation in any room to bring 24/7 emergency help. Key fobs and wearables are also available.
- Medical alert monitoring
Pendants worn around the wrist or neck can signal to dispatch an ambulance during an emergency.
- Emergency Response Plans
Trained agents offer guidance during an emergency. You can also choose to contact authorities or a third party automatically.
- Duress signals
You can enter a code when under duress to alert the monitoring center that you need help, but are unable to be contacted.
Homeowners Insurance Discount for Security System
Having a security system lowers your homeowners insurance with discounts between 5% and 20%. An alarm system lowers your bills by $60 to $240 per year or $5 to $20 per month. Plus, ADT covers up to $500 of your deductible if a burglary occurs while your ADT alarm is armed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Home Security Systems Worth It?
Home security systems are worth it because it reduces the chance of burglary by 300%, saves 5% to 20% on insurance, protects your family and valuables, and brings peace of mind. Alarm systems also alert carbon monoxide leaks or fires, and provide partial compensation for robberies.
Why Security Systems Are Worth It
- Protects your family and brings you peace of mind.
- A burglary occurs every 15 to 30 seconds, but security systems deter most criminals.
- Security systems reduce the chance of burglary by 300%.
- Protects your valuables. The average loss per burglary offense is $2,799, for a total of $3.4 billion in property losses in 2018.
- Installing a home security system saves 5% to 20% on your insurance, and some companies provide partial compensation for robberies.
Are Contracts Required For A Home Security System?
Contracts are not required for home security system providers such as SimpliSafe, Ring, Nest, and Frontpoint Security, which charge on a monthly subscription basis. ATT, ADT, Vivint, Brinks, and Protect America require 36-month contracts and provide professionally monitored services.
Do Home Security Companies Offer Warranties or Repair Support Plans?
The top home security companies such as ADT, Vivint, and SimpliSafe provide warranties and repair plans ranging from 6 months to 3 years. Check the warranty details in each provider's contract before signing.
Do Home Security Companies Charge Early Termination Fees?
The top home security companies such as ADT, Vivint, and Protect America require contacts that charge early termination fees. DIY home security providers such as SimpliSafe, Ring, Nest, and Frontpoint Security offer monthly subscriptions without any early termination fees.
Do Home Security Systems Deter Crime?
Home security systems deter crime and reduce the chance of burglary by 300%. In a survey of convicted burglars, 60% said they would rob a different house if they see a security system. This includes seeing the alarm sensors, detectors, yard signs, window decals, or visible sirens.
Who Installs Home Security Systems?
Independent alarm companies, electricians, and handyman install home security systems, depending on the type. Another option is the purchase the equipment and install it yourself.
Do You Need a Permit for a Home Security System?
It's legal to install your own security system without getting a home alarm permit. However, many local laws require an alarm permit for systems with remote monitoring or emergency service dispatch. Some companies refuse to install the system until a permit number is provided.
Is a Home Security System Tax Deductible?
A home security system is not tax-deductible unless you run a business from your home. If you install a whole-house security system that protects all the windows and doors, you can deduct the business portion of the expenses incurred to maintain and monitor the system.
Can Home Security Systems Be Hacked?
Home security systems are hacked by jamming radio frequencies to block sensors, cutting landlines, or shutting off power. Security cameras are hacked through vulnerabilities in the camera, Wi-Fi router, or network switch. Most breaches are due to outdated firmware and default passwords and settings.
Hiring a Home Security Company
Before hiring a home security company, be sure to compare prices, read reviews, and read the contract in full. Ask providers to explain anything you don't understand in the contract. Also, check if the company is a member of known security associations and is licensed to do business in your state. Learn:
- If contracts required and how long they are for.
- If the monthly fee becomes cheaper once the equipment is paid off and the contract is over.
- If you can see the contract in full before becoming a customer.
- If you’ll be provided with the details of every charge before you sign a contract.
Questions to Ask
- Does your system qualify me for a home insurance discount?
- How much do you charge for early termination?
- What warranties and repair support cover the equipment and installation?
- Are there additional support plan options?
- How much is professional installation of your security system?
- Do I pay upfront for the equipment, or do I lease it?
- Is there a cloud storage plan for the security cameras, and what is included?
- Are there guarantees regarding the time from detection to alerting authorities?
- Am I compensated if I get robbed while using your alarm system?
- What happens in a power outage?
- If I move, can I take the system with me?
- Is your system “smash crash” protected so the burglar can’t smash the system to disable it?
- Is the system checked annually in-person or remotely?
- What is your policy regarding fines because of a false alarm due to a system malfunction?
- Will the system work if I use a VOIP phone?
- Can burglars jam your wireless equipment?
- Are the operational frequencies of your equipment well known or easy to find?
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted home security companies:
What a DIY Home Security System Really Costs. (2019).
Best Home Security Based on In-Depth Reviews. (2020).
Suddenlink Pricing and Packaging. (n.d.).
Xfinity Home Security Systems. (n.d.).
Should I get a wired home security system or a wireless home security system? (2020).
ADT Monitoring Packages and Prices. (2018).
Guardian Residential Plans. (n.d.).
SimpliSafe Pricing. (n.d.).
2019 Home Security Satisfaction Study (2019). PDF File.
Brinks Security Systems. (n.d.).
Best Home Security Systems of 2020. (2020).
ProtectAmerica Security System Plans. (n.d.).
Frontpoint Security Systems. (n.d.).
CPI Security Packages. (n.d.).
Vivint Prices & Home Security Packages. (n.d.).
Brinks Home Security Review. (n.d.).
Some Home Security Systems May Be Scams. (2018).
ADT Equipment Costs. (n.d.).
Wired vs. Wireless Security Systems. (2020).
Simplisafe Security Systems. (n.d.).
Ring Security System. (n.d.).
Abode Pricing. (n.d.).
Cellular vs Broadband vs Phone Line Security Monitoring. (2019).
ATT - Shop Smart Home Security. (n.d.).
Nest Secure Alarm System. (n.d.).
2018 Burglary Data. (2018).
20+ Home Security Companies in Ashburn, VA
Get free estimates on HomeGuide from trusted home secuirty services:
Get free estimates